MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
tef

Feedback Rating: (3)

Frank Thomas Opinions

Hmmmm.... my other thread seems to have stalled after several very helpful comments. So here's another one:

Who has an opinion on Frank Thomas one-piece leather riding suits? There are a couple in the MH classifieds right now. For me it's kinda a toss-up right now between a Kobe and a Frank Thomas. Would anyone care to suggest that one is seriously better than the other or are they about the same?

FT used or Kobe discounted hits my price range reasonably well. Maybe next month I'll score some gloves here on MH.
tef is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frank Thomas? Jefe Gear Talk 56 02-05-2011 12:07 AM
Frank Thomas Grimace Gear Talk 8 07-29-2010 12:50 AM
Frank Thomas Mesh Jacket Opinions Needed crzy88 Gear Talk 1 10-23-2009 12:34 AM
Frank Thomas zipper matemike Gear Talk 5 06-07-2008 07:00 PM
Frank Thomas 2 piece Ramius Gear Talk 3 11-23-2006 08:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I used a Frank Thomas suit for a season and half.

They are OK but I stepped up a notch to a Fieldsheer.

There are a million opinions about this out there and the truth is NO suit is gonna protect against everything.
Every mfr has some horror stories and some satisfied customers.

Generally though it is a "get what you pay for" kinda thing. The better suits cost more.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

CG is having a special of 1 piece leathers, boots and gloves for 599. That sounds pretty good, I am not looking for a new suit though.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
tef

Thanks for the input, bumblebee: I seriously appreciate it.

I hear the "get what you pay for" message. OTOH, I'm a big believer in the $50 helmet (brand-new from CG, Snell and DOT certified -- on sale last fall). What I didn't pay for was a popular name, fancy graphics, and perhaps a little less weight or a little less noise.

Just getting into track riding, it sounds like the FT would be a fine place to start. Too many necessary things -- too little cash! Used gear from the forums FTW! :-)
Old 04-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by tef View Post
Thanks for the input, bumblebee: I seriously appreciate it.

I hear the "get what you pay for" message. OTOH, I'm a big believer in the $50 helmet (brand-new from CG, Snell and DOT certified -- on sale last fall). What I didn't pay for was a popular name, fancy graphics, and perhaps a little less weight or a little less noise.

Just getting into track riding, it sounds like the FT would be a fine place to start. Too many necessary things -- too little cash! Used gear from the forums FTW! :-)
What is you height/weight?
I'm 5'11" and around 200lbs. If you are interested maybe we could work a deal on my FT.
LMK
Charlie
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 04-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
What is you height/weight?
I'm 5'11" and around 200lbs. If you are interested maybe we could work a deal on my FT.
LMK
Charlie
might wanna make it a PM cuz I gotta go for a while.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 04-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
QTip

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 'S'

I have a Frank Thomas one piece suit that I wear for track days. Personally, for the money, it is not a bad deal. Now, I haven't tested it out on a crash yet, but I feel that the construction is solid enough to hold up in the event of a crash. The leather was soft, and the fit was right for me.
QTip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
tef

Thanks, QTip. That's kinda' what I'm thinking. I'm a novice, cautious by nature, riding a 600 class bike (current top speed = 90!). I don't know that the small marginal increase in protection is going to be worth the doubling/trebling/+++ in price that I'm likely to see at this juncture. I'm trying to find the cheaper end of the spectrum of competent, track-worthy suits.

I'm fairly convinced that a lot of the more expensive helmets aren't providing ANY more protection for the price difference. They're trading on their other features, as mentioned above. I expect leathers to be the same to some degree. While I'm sure there are some substantive differences (better a full-face helmet than a half!), I figure a lot the disparities are paying for name, fashion, etc. The same YKK zippers are used in all sorts of suits. As an example.

Maybe going around the block (track!) a few more times I'll acquire more subtle insight into this whole matter.

So I've more or less picked my poison: but I appreciate the affirmation, QTip!
Old 04-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

I have worn FT gear since I started riding. Mesh jackets, nylon cordura, leather jackets, rain gear, leather pants, leather gloves. all of their stuff is decent quality and i dont think for the price you can really beat it. what i really like about FT is that CG stands behind all the products 100%. I wore a FT leather jacket for 6 months on a daily basis and the zipper started failing. I took it into CG and they gave me a brand new one, no questions asked.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
STX_ANDYBAT
STX 713-934-7770

I used to work for CG and honestly FT even in England was considered low grade. BKS suits have now dropped in quality since being aquired by FT.

The only reason we sold FT and said it was a great was for spiffs.

The whole suit package brings a guy like 15 bucks that he wouldnt get from selling an Astar or Dainese.

We even had a special form for all the defective FT that had to be sent back.

There is a reason why CG is the "Exclusive FT Dealer".
STX_ANDYBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
djrocket

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
600RR
03 ZX636r
98 ZX7R
00 R1

I have a FT I purchased in 2001 from CG, it has some nice features and looks well made. I had a lowside at TWS (Texas World Speedway)' horseshoe. The suit held pretty well. Last year I tried one of the new FT's and wasn't very satisfied with the quality even at the low prices CG has them at. I would look into Spartan suits for the price range. You'll have to wait a bit, but is well worth it. Spartan suits in my opinion are great suits. Material, workmanship are top notch. And the price? you can't beat it. Well worth more than what Dave charges. You cannot beat price quality, and the custom fit.

http://www.spartanleathers.com
djrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

OK I have not read any other comments,

I think they are great for your 1st pair of leathers, sure there are better but they are great for the price. the zipper could be a little stronger and maybe wear a nice back protector if your really serious.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
JonEric0430
the slow and the retarded

Send a message via AIM to JonEric0430
What are your height and weight? I have a spidi that I will be getting rid of here soon. $350 or so.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrocket View Post
I have a FT I purchased in 2001 from CG, it has some nice features and looks well made. I had a lowside at TWS (Texas World Speedway)' horseshoe. The suit held pretty well. Last year I tried one of the new FT's and wasn't very satisfied with the quality even at the low prices CG has them at. I would look into Spartan suits for the price range. You'll have to wait a bit, but is well worth it. Spartan suits in my opinion are great suits. Material, workmanship are top notch. And the price? you can't beat it. Well worth more than what Dave charges. You cannot beat price quality, and the custom fit.

, those are some nice leathers, the double zipper it's a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #15
SW@T
SWAGGA OF A CRIPPLE!!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Track= 07 600RR
Street= 09 R6 white/red

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FC View Post
OK I have not read any other comments,

I think they are great for your 1st pair of leathers, sure there are better but they are great for the price. the zipper could be a little stronger and maybe wear a nice back protector if your really serious.
I agree...only problem I have had with my 1 piece is the zipper, I have had the opportunity to crash test mine at around 45-55 ish and it held up nicely, by nicely I mean It didn't burn through and the suit didn't get trashed...as Dave said (1fc) great Suit for your first set of leathers, but if you can upgrade do so, but for the cost you really can't beat em
SW@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:33 AM   #16
colt .45

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Zee ex ten

I like my frank Thomas suit. I low sided in mine and it held up pretty good.
colt .45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #17
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrocket View Post

repsol replica suits on closeout for 250 with 20 for shipping
Old 01-27-2010, 06:06 AM   #18
eltejano
I smell pretty

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

I let a friend borrow my spare FT suit and he had a lowside on turn 10 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and the seams just fell apart anywhere he slid. Total piece of . That thing will never be worn again.

I have had a 90 MPH crash in a Dianese and a 70 in an A-Stars one and not one seam came open in either and the thread hardly got scuffed.

If you must spend little cash on a suit, then buy a used A-Stars one instead. So many people are so hung up on having the pretty suit all shiny and new. I rather have a high quality used one than a shiny brand new cheaper one.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement