MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Ya Boy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Custom 99 R1

98-99 R1 cooling fan mod

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Sup Peeps,
I did not want to post this until I tried it to see if it work and it did. The other night we were at A.S.I. and I met a guy who owned a 98 Red and White R-1. We were talking about our bikes, I have a Blue 99 R-1, and he touched his frame and it was really hot. I did a search from another forum and found a mod to kick on your cooling fan to avoid a hot frame. On my R1, it came on at 228 degrees. I bought a cooling fan sensor from Autozone, part # sw518 or TFS513, and replaced the orginal one and it now it comes on at 187 degrees. I was going to install a manual switch, but this is much better than adding extra wires. This mod only works on 98-99 R1's.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cooling fan issues **UPDATED** Slovy How To's and Q & A's 9 04-04-2013 09:12 PM
CRF250R cooling fan brandontx Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 3 02-02-2012 01:30 PM
Aluminum Cooling Fan? mikes-si General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-24-2010 08:24 AM
cooling fan head shot How To's and Q & A's 3 03-29-2008 02:36 PM
Extra Cooling Fan? jdh82831 Performance and Modifications 4 02-15-2007 10:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewillia
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Sup Peeps,
I did not want to post this until I tried it to see if it work and it did. The other night we were at A.S.I. and I met a guy who owned a 98 Red and White R-1. We were talking about our bikes, I have a Blue 99 R-1, and he touched his frame and it was really hot. I did a search from another forum and found a mod to kick on your cooling fan to avoid a hot frame. On my R1, it came on at 228 degrees. I bought a cooling fan sensor from Autozone, part # sw518 or TFS513, and replaced the orginal one and it now it comes on at 187 degrees. I was going to install a manual switch, but this is much better than adding extra wires. This mod only works on 98-99 R1's.
you can do something similar to almost all bikes or buy a aftermarket Muzzy fan with switch already.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

The only danger of having your fan come on so low is that it can overload your charging system by the fan running so often.
180 to 200 is actually normal operating temp for most of todays sportbikes.
A better temp to have it come on would be in the 205 to 215 range. I'd also recommend draining and flushing your cooling sytem every 2-3 years and refill it with a distilled water / antifeeze mix like Coolanol. I'd also recommend adding a bottle of Water Wetter.

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Ya Boy

Bike(s):
Custom 99 R1

Thanks for the info Patrick. You are real popular guy.:notworthy I'm a member of a few more forums and they give big ups to you. Even though I work on my own bike, I would like to meet you and do business with you one day. May be I can come to the shop and buy something or just say what's up and let you check out my flood bike. But my question is, should I put back in the original sensor, or should I be ok with it coming on at 187 degrees? I only change it because I was worried about the Houston heat in the summer time and the fan kicking on @ 224.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I'd look for a sensor that triggers in the 205 range, NAPA should be able to help you out, or just wire in a switch. Before anything though I'd make sure your cooling system is in good condition; new coolant, Water Wetter, fins straight, radiator clean etc.

patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement