MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
tef

Feedback Rating: (3)

Other Kobe opinions?

Last weekend I rented leathers for two days from Texas Track Bikes. Pete will let me apply what I paid in rental toward a new suit. That means a new Kobe would cost me $310.

I want to buy a one-piece leather that is both thrifty and competent. I'm fine with used (size 46?? 5'10" & 165lbs) but figure I'm out another $100 every day I ride the track without buying.

So... after reading cdill35's threads about his Kobe failing, are there any other Kobe wearers out there? How un/satisfied are you with the product? Are any other one-piece suits in this price range going to be significantly better? Does anybody have something used to sell me?

Thanks!
tef is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lebron vs Kobe Who's better? gixxerican Sports 22 05-20-2010 10:40 AM
Kobe and the Jackass Crew Prodigy Stunters Lounge 11 05-27-2008 07:31 PM
Kobe and the Jackass crew jodyhudson Off Topic 4 05-26-2008 09:47 PM
kobe who? Azylum Off Topic 1 05-17-2008 12:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Which model did żou rent?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
tef

I rented whatever he gave me. :-) It was a Himalayas two-piece. Looking at other ads and pricing charts, I'm guessing I should be wearing more like a 44.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

Fieldsheer is IMO (from research I have done and also from doing my trackday in them this weekend) the best bang for the buck when it comes to suits in the Kobe price range.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

The end result was that the Kobe suit did what it was supposed to do. The zipper failed. Considering that brand zipper is what almost all gear uses, I think you can still have confidence in Kobe suits.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Now that my road rash is starting to heal I think I can be a bit more objective in my opinion.

www.1888fastlap.com is the Kobe distributor here. Its a wierd situation and I am not sure how is all works but Cathy and Paul, at that place, apparently are the Kobe Distributors for America. Paul's email is KTMworld.com so I think they have several entities running at the same place.

Either way, their Carbon Stars are $479.99, no tax and free shipping which is hella better suit than the Himalaya's you rented. You can buy the carbon star on their ebay store for $459.00 to the door. Thier XPRO, the top of the line for them is right at $500.00 to the door from their ebay store. , they have my suit for $250.00

Because they are the distributors they can back the product. I felt I had no choice but to call them direct to get some resolution to my issues even though I DID NOT BUY the suit from them. 1888fastlap could have told me to off, I didnt buy it from them so too bad so sad, but they didnt. They did what they could considering the predictament they were in and I would definately do business with them again, although I thought the offer of sending me a $25.00 check for my troubles was insulting. We worked it out.

Also, let me say that the SUIT did not fail. The YKK zipper failed. YKK zippers are the choice of most suits anyway. I could have had a $3000.00 suit with THAT particular YKK zipper and it would have failed too.

So, before buying a suit, of any type..I would ask the following.

1. Who is going to stand behind this suit should I have an issue?
2. What is the warranty process?

I have learned alot this last year, some of it the hard way. The suit I just bought, an Arlen Ness, I bought from Arlen Ness direct. the BS. I wanna go straight to the man if I ever have an issue that needs resolving.

As I have grown in this sport, I have learned where to be cheap and convenient..and where not to be. My protection, with kids, a job, bills, a mother, etc....is an area I am willing to invest in.

Bottom line....if someone isnt going to back, 100%, the product they sell....I'm not buying it.

Having said that, Pete is a class act. The idea of being able to rent and put that money towards a new suit is fantastic. Some people dont have $500 to drop on a suit...its a sort of financing that I find appealing.

Last edited by cdill35; 04-23-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Oh and finally, if the people havent been down in the suit they are ranting and raving about. Or havent been down in other suits and have some benchmark or basis for thier opinions...I'd pay them no mind.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Oh and finally, if the people havent been down in the suit they are ranting and raving about. Or havent been down in other suits and have some benchmark or basis for thier opinions...I'd pay them no mind.
I totally agree with this.
I can't speak for any other suits. However, I can speak for the Fieldsheer that I wore this weekend. Noah has crashed in it twice and I crashed in it on Sunday. Both of his crashes were moderate speed wash outs on pavement. For me, I got tossed and landed in the grass. None of the leather has punctured, zipper seems to be in perfect working condition. Only defect so far is that when I crashed last weekend, the knee blew out. However, it was not the leather, it was the stretch panel on the back of the right knee. It is a suit that has been used a lot and has been crashed in quit a few times. If a stretch panel is all that gives, I am happy with that.
But, like CDill has mentioned, it was not the Kobe suit that failed......it was the zipper. I have heard of the same thing happening on suits that cost $1500. There are still a ton of guys out there that wear Kobe and swear by them. Do some reasearch online, get educated on suits and then make your informed decision
Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
tef

cdill35 -- Thanks for your further reflection about your Kobe. I see the attraction of buying from the distributor. Though the discount I'd get through Pete is a fairly serious consideration for me, too!

There are a couple of Frank Thomas suits up for sale in the forums here -- one of which has only been worn once. Any idea how they compare to, say, a Kobe?

(I checked out the Fieldsheer's: even on NewEnough they're running over $400. I'm not sure the incremental protection is worth the additional cost to me. Kobe has a significant cost advantage to me at present! As was mentioned earlier, applying money I already paid in rental to a purchase is a pretty sweet deal.)

Advertisement