MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #41

Feedback Rating: (0)

You are not required to show the radar to the speeder. And just FYI, the radar reading always benefits the offender. It reads slower that what you were actually going. So if you were clocked at 80, you were going MUCH faster. It's easier running radar at night versus during the day.
If he was HPD then he was also critiqued on visual estimation during radar certification.
1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recovering word doc after ms word stops brandontx Off Topic 2 08-21-2012 07:55 PM
Any Word?? FLYIN'DUC Off Topic 12 02-22-2009 10:26 AM
The N word. hotcknstrips Off Topic 2 11-25-2005 08:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #42
cj_sandman
custom user title!!

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600 F4i
'99 FXST

If you're looking for someone to tell you that you can try to fight this thing alone.....

Ok here, I'll do it. Here's your ODDS in favor of WINNING without legal representation:

1 to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.

See? You can do it without a lawyer!

But seriously. Don't be a cheap-. Get a lawyer.

You don't need Sprecher for such an easy ticket though - Sprecher is the BEST, but he is expensive as fugg in comparison to other atty's around town.

Try Charles Garrido or his partner William McLellan - 713-785-8555. Much cheaper.

I only use Sprecher if I know I'm going up against charges that are going to be IMPOSSIBLE to beat.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #43
Htownz

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
You are not required to show the radar to the speeder. And just FYI, the radar reading always benefits the offender. It reads slower that what you were actually going. So if you were clocked at 80, you were going MUCH faster. It's easier running radar at night versus during the day.
If he was HPD then he was also critiqued on visual estimation during radar certification.
I don't doubt that they are qualified to a higher degree. Usually if I am stopped I will just ask for a warning or what have you, or let him write it up and just get on with my way. But in this case, I know for sure he didn't clock me. And it seems like there is no way around it without paying something. What happened to the days when you could represent yourself without having all the formalities/procedures attorneys capitalize on?
Htownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #44
Htownz

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_sandman View Post
If you're looking for someone to tell you that you can try to fight this thing alone.....

Ok here, I'll do it. Here's your ODDS in favor of WINNING without legal representation:

1 to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.

See? You can do it without a lawyer!

But seriously. Don't be a cheap-. Get a lawyer.

You don't need Sprecher for such an easy ticket though - Sprecher is the BEST, but he is expensive as fugg in comparison to other atty's around town.

Try Charles Garrido or his partner William McLellan - 713-785-8555. Much cheaper.

I only use Sprecher if I know I'm going up against charges that are going to be IMPOSSIBLE to beat.
I'm not complaining about the money, so to speak. It's really the principle of HAVING to pay since the system is set up that way. This was more of an inquiry to anyone out there who has gone through the system the whole way through without an attorney. What really sparked my interest was the cop himself referring lawyers to me. I don't know how many times I will have to re-explain this..
Old 04-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #45
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownz View Post
You're the guy I've been looking for. So was it lack of evidence/preparation/even having a chance? Would it have been possible to win if you did some things differently, or if you had a lawyer?
hard to say... Maybe, maybe not. I would have better chance since they know what to say/do. If you are savvy with courtroom procedure then you could do it yourself. I tried but when it comes to public speaking, I frozed. Be prepared and good defends skills will help in the outcome. I was chancing that the cops didn't show up and unprepared. Only you know the situation and could present it with clarity. We can only tell you from experienced which is not the same.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the same situation, chancing the cops to show up. Lucky for me, he didn't. If the cops showed up, I would asked the court to reset the date since my lawyer didn't show up as if I had one. If I was denied, then I would go through the procedure of what I would suggested you the same.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #46
B-Man
B-Man

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Can-Am Spyder...

Quote:
330pm. Lots of cars around me. We went about a good 1/3- half a mile before I pulled over. I felt like getting out and taking a picture of where we were compared to where he initially started to get off the shoulder.
yep...I do the HOV heading south there...and I do 70....and the folks on the regular lanes leave me behind...
use the HOV, and no worries on the cagers / and most of the time the law!
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #47
Intrinzik

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
09 Daytona 675 (Tornato Red)

Send a message via Yahoo to Intrinzik
Quote:
I'm not complaining about the money, so to speak. It's really the principle of HAVING to pay since the system is set up that way. This was more of an inquiry to anyone out there who has gone through the system the whole way through without an attorney. What really sparked my interest was the cop himself referring lawyers to me. I don't know how many times I will have to re-explain this..
Have you seen the movie, flash of genius? You should rent it - it's really a good movie. Basically Ford Motor Company steals this guy's idea for the intermittent wiper. He can't find a lawyer who will actually try his case, so he does it himself. You can do what he did - and he actually won the case against Ford and against Chrysler (I think), but the deal is this. Lawyers are trained to work the court. You're not a legal expert (nor am I), and while you seem like a smart guy, you probably shouldn't try to learn as you go because you'll make mistakes that cost you money. Any lawyer you hire has probably already tried hundreds of cases like yours and knows how to attack in a way that will give you the best chances of emerging victorious. In short, you CAN do it, my best friend tries all his cases and has won SEVERAL - BUT - don't do it unless you are really willing to put in the time and effort and expend the emotional energy. It's just not worth it.

Paintball in Houston, Tx
http://www.urbanwarzonepaintball.com
Intrinzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #48
Htownz

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrinzik View Post
Have you seen the movie, flash of genius? You should rent it - it's really a good movie. Basically Ford Motor Company steals this guy's idea for the intermittent wiper. He can't find a lawyer who will actually try his case, so he does it himself. You can do what he did - and he actually won the case against Ford and against Chrysler (I think), but the deal is this. Lawyers are trained to work the court. You're not a legal expert (nor am I), and while you seem like a smart guy, you probably shouldn't try to learn as you go because you'll make mistakes that cost you money. Any lawyer you hire has probably already tried hundreds of cases like yours and knows how to attack in a way that will give you the best chances of emerging victorious. In short, you CAN do it, my best friend tries all his cases and has won SEVERAL - BUT - don't do it unless you are really willing to put in the time and effort and expend the emotional energy. It's just not worth it.
True - It's just not worth it. I didn't know if anyone else felt more serious about it in terms of taking the odds of fighting it alone. I have to say that if people were to come back and say that they have won repeatedly using the same arguments or what have you, then I would feel much more inspired/enthused about going that route. But it seems that the system is set up for everyone to make money, knowing you're not at fault. I find it disturbing that a cop has lawyers to pull out and reference after citing you a ticket on one end, and then hearing everyone say.."ahh fck it, just pay it" . It's all good though, thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #49
bonez409

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
GS500 sold
gsxr1100w
ninja250r sold
sv650s

pre-paid legal services $36 a month with the credit watch thing. My 15 year old got to take defensive driving to defer it. and my friend got some old tickets in Carolina fixed and didn't have to go back to court his self a lawyer in carolina handled it. all for 36 bucks.
If you do go to court to defend yourself set the court date then change it and know the law that requires the officer show you the radar detector and when it was calibrated.
I'd just get a lawyer and not even worry about it.
bonez409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #50
Intrinzik

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
09 Daytona 675 (Tornato Red)

Send a message via Yahoo to Intrinzik
Quote:
True - It's just not worth it. I didn't know if anyone else felt more serious about it in terms of taking the odds of fighting it alone. I have to say that if people were to come back and say that they have won repeatedly using the same arguments or what have you, then I would feel much more inspired/enthused about going that route. But it seems that the system is set up for everyone to make money, knowing you're not at fault. I find it disturbing that a cop has lawyers to pull out and reference after citing you a ticket on one end, and then hearing everyone say.."ahh fck it, just pay it" . It's all good though, thanks for the feedback.
I've been to court quite a bit for different little things. One thing I suggest you do is ask for deferred adjudication. No mark on your record and you don't have to take DD. Just pay the fine and be done with it. As long as you aren't CONVICTED of a traffic violation within 60 or 90 days (I forget which) you are off scott free. The cool part is that if you get pulled over again and get a ticket, you can fight or have it deferred again with no problems. Unless you plead guilty or lose in court the original ticket isn't affected by the second one. I always do this and have never had a problem I feel it's the best way of dealing with it. In fact a buddy of mine got 3 tickets in the 90 days and had them all deferred.

You just have to be smart as a MC rider. The insurance is high enough as it is. A ticket can make it totally unaffordable for a lot of people.

Paintball in Houston, Tx
http://www.urbanwarzonepaintball.com

Last edited by Intrinzik; 04-22-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Additional info
Intrinzik is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement