Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
zixx6r

Feedback Rating: (0)

Valve adjustment pains

I just finished the 16,000 mile service for the bike. The dreaded valve adjustment was part of it. I didnt want to do it but last time I had a shop do it they charged me 300 dollars to tell me they were all in spec, what a waste. so I did it myself...lord, what a pain in the . it's not particularly hard, but it's freaking time consuming because you have to tear the bike apart and then get parts (shims and gaskets) mid-job. it basically took me all saturday morning to take apart the bike and measure the valve clearances, then I had to call and run around town to find a shop that carried shims in stock.

I have to plug Wild West Honda here, they carried every shim I needed and the shop was willing to trade for my old ones! sweet. I'm glad I did it, I had 8 out of 16 valves way out of adjustment...with 2 exhaust cam lobes almost down to the tappets. makes me wonder if that shop did anything to the bike? the trickiest bit is getting the intake cam to settle in while bolting the cam cover on...you have to bolt this thing down while making sure the cam chain stays in place so that the timing will be right. it wants to pop right up because two intake lobes are trying to press down two valve tappets. a balancing act, but patience pays off.

so...yes it takes time, but it's worth it. the bike runs really well now, just started it up 5 minutes ago the difference from before is unreal. Just make sure you can devote parts of two days to it and check with the shop to see if they carry your shims.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
valve adjustment Slovy Performance and Modifications 12 04-02-2013 06:50 PM
Valve Adjustment Branden9182 Performance and Modifications 6 06-20-2012 03:11 PM
valve adjustment blue46 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 09-21-2009 06:42 AM
valve adjustment?? sixerSLYGUY Performance and Modifications 1 10-04-2007 11:47 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

I did the same to mine a few months ago, but now i havto synch the carbs...that's a pain too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

time to move up to the FI 636.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
zixx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
time to move up to the FI 636.
Dont you have to adjust your valves too? just not as frequently, right.

I'm keeping this bike for a while I really like the ergos and trackability. It's a real bargain, I paid 3900 for this thing with 4000 miles on it one year ago and it still runs the same as when I bought it. saving up for some suspension and a jet kit, but with the tune up done I'm ready for track days starting in march.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixx6r
Dont you have to adjust your valves too? just not as frequently, right.

I'm keeping this bike for a while I really like the ergos and trackability. It's a real bargain, I paid 3900 for this thing with 4000 miles on it one year ago and it still runs the same as when I bought it. saving up for some suspension and a jet kit, but with the tune up done I'm ready for track days starting in march.
IMO the money your going to be spending upgarding the suspension and then getting a jet kit and probaly full system is money you could use for a down payment for the 06 or maybe a 03-04 636. i had a 2001 which i bought in 2002 for $4800 with 2k miles and yeah it had sentimental value since i rebuilt and spent hours working on it, but the upgrade to the 04 636 i have can not be compared.

Valve adjustment pains
Old 02-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
JJO
The One and Only

Bike(s):
Injured 2005 ZX-6R

^^^^
like the seat.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
Sc0
A Lemming

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'01 F4i
'03 KFX400 MX
'09 FLHT
'01 Giant NRS1

Send a message via Yahoo to Sc0
I should really check my valves as well, hit 16k miles 2k miles ago... Plus I think I am suppose to change the $15 spark plugs as well.

Just be happy that you didn't drop a shim... that could have extended the operation even longer. When I adjusted the valves on my 400cc ATV K's in Humble told me over the phone that they exchange shims but when I arrived with shims in hand they politely told me that the shim box was misplaced and they couldn't find it...BS.

Did you replace the auto cam chain tensioner, is it making rattling noises? Patrick can set you up with a APE for $89 if you need one and don't mind turning a few wrenches. Quieted my bike tremendously.
Sc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
zixx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
IMO the money your going to be spending upgarding the suspension and then getting a jet kit and probaly full system is money you could use for a down payment for the 06 or maybe a 03-04 636. i had a 2001 which i bought in 2002 for $4800 with 2k miles and yeah it had sentimental value since i rebuilt and spent hours working on it, but the upgrade to the 04 636 i have can not be compared.
yes I know...but I own the sucker outright, no payments. the last thing I want to do right now is the following:

a) be in debt
b) pay full coverage insurance

Eventually I'll get the newer bikes, but this one fits my needs right now as a comfortable street bike and fast enough track bike. I'll probably keep this one until it dies, I really like it. My goal is to have a newer ZX-10 or ZX-6R to go with some sort of street bike, naked or what not. But I can wait.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Definitely need to synch your carbs or throttle bodies anytime after you adjust your valves.
For those of you needing shims we keep most of them in stock.

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
bandit

I did my valves a while back and they were all in spec. A bunch of work but worth knowing they are good and not forking out $300 for some body else to tell me thanks for the money, chump!!!!!
bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:24 PM   #11
BigC
AKA Big Daddy

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
88"HURRICANE 1000 ( crashed ) / 98"Z-71 1500 4x4 / 06" Nissan Sentra Spec - V 6 Speed / ZX-7 Ninja

I wish I knew how to tune my own bike, and do my own valve job. I'm about to shovel out $500 for the old Hurricane for a tune up and valve job. Can't complain though, I keep hearing that I will have a different bike once this is done. Some people from when we met at Pizza Extreme in the Woodlands thought that they could basiclly ride past the old Cane, but some found out the hard way that newer bikes out running the old is a myth. Can't wait to see how the bike runs after I get this stuff done. Watch out fellas, there is a Hurricane in Houston..........lol Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!
BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:40 AM   #12
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixx6r
yes I know...but I own the sucker outright, no payments. the last thing I want to do right now is the following:

a) be in debt
b) pay full coverage insurance

Eventually I'll get the newer bikes, but this one fits my needs right now as a comfortable street bike and fast enough track bike. I'll probably keep this one until it dies, I really like it. My goal is to have a newer ZX-10 or ZX-6R to go with some sort of street bike, naked or what not. But I can wait.

fyi, if you get the kawi card and you finance under $10k you wont need full coverage, just liability. just a heads up.