MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Need help getting to Motorcycles Unlimited

Missed work today, figured I'd fixed what I determined to be the "surging" issue, which was an overstretched and loose chain!

I tried adjusting the chain this morning since its been loose, and with 24k miles on it it likes like . Kinks everywhere, griming, nasty, and stretched out crazy. I've only had for 2 months, and I'm returning to my friend in late June, but with the chain in that condition and the alignment not matching close the marks with the rear brake rubbing a bit, I figure I'll try to collect payment from my friend later and get it fixed at Motorcycles Unlimited to avoid riding a deathtrap to work for another 2-3 months! Agree with me there?

Anyway, I haven't been able to get it aligned just right, and adjusted to what I feel is a safe level. Is there someone who could help me get the bike trailered over to Motorcycles Unlimited. I live near 249/Grant. I really hate asking people to bail me out, but I don't have a trailer, and while eventually plan on getting a truck and trailer, am not yet in that position!

Let me know and PM your info. 249/Grant area to Motorcycles Unlimited @ 1960 & 45N.

Anyone off the top of their head know how much chain replacement is going to cost for an ex500? Patrick's not yet open to check with.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thanks Motorcycles Unlimited MykolJ Motorcycles Unlimited 2 08-08-2008 12:20 PM
THANKS AGAIN Motorcycles Unlimited H2447INTX General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-16-2008 09:23 AM
Thanks Motorcycles Unlimited v4lu3s Motorcycles Unlimited 1 06-24-2008 10:02 PM
Thanks Motorcycles Unlimited CBR_10 Motorcycles Unlimited 2 06-21-2008 07:49 PM
Thank you Motorcycles Unlimited Irish Motorcycles Unlimited 12 11-14-2007 07:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Do you have tools to do it? If so I can come help this morning.
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Maybe Keith will do it for a chocolate chip cookie
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

no. i don't have the chain or the tools. i live in an apartment, very limited on tools and tearing apart the bike without people walking away with parts :-)
Old 04-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Do you have the tool bag that came with the bike?
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

yes, but not the chain to replace? it really is a jacked up chain with tons of kinks, rusted, etc... i just have been hoping it would hold....i don't think i want to keep riding the beltway at 80+ with a chain like that, seems iffy to me

for the record, I take care of my bikes, all maintenance.... BUT this other guy, well, he had other priorities, as such the bike's maintenance wasn't kept well
Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

do you have ramps and straps?
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
Missed work today, figured I'd fixed what I determined to be the "surging" issue, which was an overstretched and loose chain!

I tried adjusting the chain this morning since its been loose, and with 24k miles on it it likes like . Kinks everywhere, griming, nasty, and stretched out crazy. I've only had for 2 months, and I'm returning to my friend in late June, but with the chain in that condition and the alignment not matching close the marks with the rear brake rubbing a bit, I figure I'll try to collect payment from my friend later and get it fixed at Motorcycles Unlimited to avoid riding a deathtrap to work for another 2-3 months! Agree with me there?

Anyway, I haven't been able to get it aligned just right, and adjusted to what I feel is a safe level. Is there someone who could help me get the bike trailered over to Motorcycles Unlimited. I live near 249/Grant. I really hate asking people to bail me out, but I don't have a trailer, and while eventually plan on getting a truck and trailer, am not yet in that position!

Let me know and PM your info. 249/Grant area to Motorcycles Unlimited @ 1960 & 45N.

Anyone off the top of their head know how much chain replacement is going to cost for an ex500? Patrick's not yet open to check with.

not trying to tell you not to go see Patrick, but there might be an easier/quicker/cheaper option for you. If there is a Cycle Gear or something like that around you, you can pick up a chain there. Then see if there is anyone around you that has a chain tool you can borrow. If not, chain busters aren't too pricey, and are a good thing to keep around.
No need for massive amounts of tools. You don't have to take a bunch of schit off the bike. Get the bike on a rear stand and bust the old chain. Match the old master up with the new one on the top of the rear sprocket. Put bike in nuetral and pull old chain from the bottom. This will line the new chain up and pull the old on off at same time. Then set your master!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

we have a funeral to attend to today. I'm going to work on getting my buddy to pay me back, he should have had this done anyway and should have a nice sum set aside from not spending money while in training for 4-6 months.

I 100% agree with you. I personally would LOVE to work on my own bike and get a couple tools to do it... BUT while I'm currently working, doing school, dealing with a funeral, etc its just too much right now. I need to 100% know everything's good to go, and Patrick stands behind his work. As it is form of transportation, I can't afford to experiment, and don't have the time necessary to do it myself.

When I give the bike back and get my next bike, I plan on doing as much as I can myself, as it will be a motard, you don't have to take them apart as much anyways. :-)

i really appreciate your good advice, but for now I just need a help in getting the bike there and get it fixed.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

ok, i called patrick, i'm good to go there, now I just need some help to get it trailered there. I don't even want to jack with riding it again, i think i've been pushing my luck as it is.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames View Post
do you have ramps and straps?
no. Just a VW GTI, and it won't fit in that. I tried.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

Quote:
no. Just a VW GTI, and it won't fit in that. I tried.
I have straps and ramps, but I am REALLY south of where you are and am going to be stuck at work till noon-ish

If you end up needed straps/ramps, you are more than welcome to borrow these. However I am sure someone closer to you would be able to give you a hand as well
Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyneLawson View Post
I have straps and ramps, but I am REALLY south of where you are and am going to be stuck at work till noon-ish

If you end up needed straps/ramps, you are more than welcome to borrow these. However I am sure someone closer to you would be able to give you a hand as well

thanks, i'll check later today after the funeral. Nothing so far, but the community here is really supportive so I'm sure if i give it a day I'll have someone who has a few minutes and the equipment. When I get setup later on, i plan on having a truck and a trailer ;-) Having your bike as your only transportation isn't bad, until it comes to something going bump in the night
Old 04-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Still need a hand? I can do it this afternoon. Needs to be done kinda on a tight schedule. Have to run up to Humble for work and this would only be a few minutes out of my way or so. I'm thinking I could be at 249/Grant around 2 or so. let me know. I got the truck, ramp, and straps.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Still need a hand? I can do it this afternoon. Needs to be done kinda on a tight schedule. Have to run up to Humble for work and this would only be a few minutes out of my way or so. I'm thinking I could be at 249/Grant around 2 or so. let me know. I got the truck, ramp, and straps.

I WISH. This would be perfect and I appreciate the offer. However, I'm currently going to a funeral today. The date I would have to do this would be on Saturday around 1pm (have to work half day). The rest of the week I work straight through Motorcycles Unlimited's schedule.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #16
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
I WISH. This would be perfect and I appreciate the offer. However, I'm currently going to a funeral today. The date I would have to do this would be on Saturday around 1pm (have to work half day). The rest of the week I work straight through Motorcycles Unlimited's schedule.
OKIE DOKIE...I'd help, but got a fence to build this weekend. Good luck, I'm sure someone will chime in.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #17
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

anyone available for Saturday approx 1pm to help me get the bike over to Motorcycles Unlimited? i'll comp $20 for gas for goodwill.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
scooter09
FML

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2011 CBR600RR Repsol
2005 GSX-R 600 (Sold)
2004 FZ6 street fighter (r.i.p.)
2001 TTR-230 (sold)

let me ask my dad if i can borrow his truck
i have a ramp and straps and im going to be in waller (30mins away)
on saturday
scooter09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #19
scooter09
FML

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2011 CBR600RR Repsol
2005 GSX-R 600 (Sold)
2004 FZ6 street fighter (r.i.p.)
2001 TTR-230 (sold)

ok so its a done deal he is going to let me use his truck
pm me
scooter09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #20
Falkryte
SBN Vag Inspector

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
ninja 650r
ttr 125
crf50
tarded450

I live off of 249 and 45. I have ramp, straps and rapist van. pm me if you want to do this. So far I have no plans Sat. let me know asap so I dont schedule anything.

Advertisement