MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #21
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rnz450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas94fs View Post
6 turns, whoopee. go ride up north in the forest. Or hit 359 and winner foster/bois d'arc
6 turns if you dont know where yur at
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saturday Ride, Crabb River Road to Galveston 1098ducdude Events, Meets and Rides 68 02-07-2015 03:12 PM
crabb in a few Japawhat02 Events, Meets and Rides 0 07-09-2009 06:05 PM
crabb river road? boss-hog Events, Meets and Rides 23 06-19-2008 06:38 PM
may go play around on crabb river road Nox Events, Meets and Rides 2 07-11-2006 07:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #22
hondarider77

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
i can ride those 6 turns all day long and only be a few miles from the house. im not gonna ride and hour and a half to go ride the forest.
hondarider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #23
Intermission
Pure Awesome

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:2007 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:1999 YZ-125
SOLD:2004 Can-o-Tuna

Member Garage

Crabb is fun and all, but I don't know why it's so popular.
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #24
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

because it is close to the cribb

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #25
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

Really nice ride.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #26
CG636
Braaaaaap

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
KTM 525 sumo

Member Garage

Just be careful on the powerplant rd...last time I went through there we were taking pics at the end and the local neighborhood security guard decided to stop by and talk to us.
CG636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #27
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
Crabb is fun and all, but I don't know why it's so popular.
its all we have on this side of town..........there are a couple turns here and there on the South side of town, but this is the best string of them. That is why I ride it. It is close. Has a certain degree of technicality. Can see all the way through most of the turns, unlike most other runs further north of here.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #28
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
Just be careful on the powerplant rd...last time I went through there we were taking pics at the end and the local neighborhood security guard decided to stop by and talk to us.
bwahaha what was he going to do? just dont stay sitting there long
Old 04-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #29
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas94fs View Post
6 turns, whoopee. go ride up north in the forest. Or hit 359 and winner foster/bois d'arc
+1 billion. I live 1/2 mile off of Crabb and have ridden it !once! since i moved here 6 months ago, other than down and back to get to MSRH. It's a nice place to work on sweepers, and a great place to screw up or hit gravel and go wide into barbed wire. Many many MH'ers have lost pride, fairings, copays, and worse. Turn for turn it eats up bikes as fast as 3090. Stay West and North of where you are. Go i-10 and racer road out to Sealy and then northwest thru new ulm and frelsburg if you want nice roads. Just meet up with the west side SMR guys to learn the nice routes. I think they met Sundays in Brookshire at 9:00 or so. Check TSBA.org::

All chapters of the TSBA have regular rides, normally occurring weekly on Sunday morning. Departure times and locations can sometimes vary because of weather, other events, and so forth, so it is recommended that you check in the following three locations for up-to-date information:

The BBS, where almost all rides are announced and discussed. http://bbs.tsba.org
The individual website for the chapter in your area. http://www.tsba.org/chapters.html
The Calendar of Events. http://bbs.tsba.org/calendar.php

Requirements:
Although the club rides are open for anyone, the TSBA requires the following safety gear in order to participate in a club ride. Failing to meet the requirements below will result in you being asked to rejoin us at a future time when proper gear is present and being worn.

Full-face helmet
Solid boots that cover the ankles
Leather gloves
Long-sleeved leather, denim, textile gear, or other abrasion-resistant jacket
Full-length pants, preferably jeans, leather, or textile gear

Note: Although full-body riding gear is not required to participate in a group ride, it is strongly encouraged for all riders.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #30
CG636
Braaaaaap

Bike(s):
KTM 525 sumo

Member Garage

He blew his whistle and said something about calling the real cops or something.. lol
Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #31
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
He blew his whistle and said something about calling the real cops or something.. lol
i wanna see that new gixxer. asi wed.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #32
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassik View Post
6 turns if you dont know where yur at
Yup. There is a bunch of country west and south of Crabb that has some nice little unpatrolled turns and straights on less than two lane roads. one left right in particular, in the middle of a cornfield, is a perfect place to work on 2nd gear corners and a fast transition in the middle. I'm still exploring out here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...03476&t=h&z=19
Old 04-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #33
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
Yup. There is a bunch of country west and south of Crabb that has some nice little unpatrolled turns and straights on less than two lane roads. one left right in particular, in the middle of a cornfield, is a perfect place to work on 2nd gear corners and a fast transition in the middle. I'm still exploring out here.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=29.50281,-95.734764&amp;spn=0.001776,0.003476&amp;t=h&amp;z= 19&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=29.50281,-95.734764&amp;spn=0.001776,0.003476&amp;t=h&amp;z= 19&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
you can wonder all the way to austin on good back roads
Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #34
CG636
Braaaaaap

Bike(s):
KTM 525 sumo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassik View Post
i wanna see that new gixxer. asi wed.
lmao u have no idea what ur in for.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #35
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Bike(s):

Quote:
+1 billion. I live 1/2 mile off of Crabb and have ridden it !once! since i moved here 6 months ago, other than down and back to get to MSRH. It's a nice place to work on sweepers, and a great place to screw up or hit gravel and go wide into barbed wire. Many many MH'ers have lost pride, fairings, copays, and worse. Turn for turn it eats up bikes as fast as 3090. Stay West and North of where you are. Go i-10 and racer road out to Sealy and then northwest thru new ulm and frelsburg if you want nice roads. Just meet up with the west side SMR guys to learn the nice routes. I think they met Sundays in Brookshire at 9:00 or so. Check TSBA.org::

All chapters of the TSBA have regular rides, normally occurring weekly on Sunday morning. Departure times and locations can sometimes vary because of weather, other events, and so forth, so it is recommended that you check in the following three locations for up-to-date information:

The BBS, where almost all rides are announced and discussed. http://bbs.tsba.org
The individual website for the chapter in your area. http://www.tsba.org/chapters.html
The Calendar of Events. http://bbs.tsba.org/calendar.php

Requirements:
Although the club rides are open for anyone, the TSBA requires the following safety gear in order to participate in a club ride. Failing to meet the requirements below will result in you being asked to rejoin us at a future time when proper gear is present and being worn.

Full-face helmet
Solid boots that cover the ankles
Leather gloves
Long-sleeved leather, denim, textile gear, or other abrasion-resistant jacket
Full-length pants, preferably jeans, leather, or textile gear

Note: Although full-body riding gear is not required to participate in a group ride, it is strongly encouraged for all riders.

I run crabb during the week when no one else is out there and everyone is at work. I REFUSE to ride in large groups on "spirited" rides. It has NEVER turned out good when I have been in large groups. Yes, I know my limits and know that my bike's limits FAR exceed my abilities. However, what about the guy infront of or behind me? Do they know their abilities? The bike's? Do they know the route well enough to be pushing that hard?
I go out and wierd times when there isnt much traffic and I ride with people I trust. That has worked for me so far and I am counting on it to work for me for some time still.
I am not trying to talk schit about these groups you were talking about. There are tons of people that thrive on those types of rides and I completely respect that. However, it is just not for me.
Also, the rides you were talking about, for the most part would take atleast 1.5 hours of FREEWAY riding just to get to the meet-spot. Then it is off to ride the route, then ride the hour or so back to the house. I can get up in the morning and do some stuff around the house, decide to run crab, head that way, run it 2 or 3 times, then head home in time to go to dinner with friends when they get off work.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #36
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Yup. From the Souf side Crabb is about the only close turns around. And for convenience it is nice.

But the person who started the thread asked:

Crabb River Road...

Any chance someone can give me an idea of the roads to hit in this area? I've never been down that way and would be coming from the Katy/Richmond area.

For this guy it's a probably not but a 20 minute extra ride to hit west versus south. The TSBA guys know the roads. Sure, group rides suck in general due to inexperience, but it is about the only way to get seat of the pants introduction to nice roads. I found 149 and the forest on a charity ride with 500 riders or so.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:26 AM   #37
S.D.W.
...Ready

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyneLawson View Post
I run crabb during the week when no one else is out there and everyone is at work. I REFUSE to ride in large groups on "spirited" rides. It has NEVER turned out good when I have been in large groups. Yes, I know my limits and know that my bike's limits FAR exceed my abilities. However, what about the guy infront of or behind me? Do they know their abilities? The bike's? Do they know the route well enough to be pushing that hard?
I go out and wierd times when there isnt much traffic and I ride with people I trust. That has worked for me so far and I am counting on it to work for me for some time still.
I am not trying to talk schit about these groups you were talking about. There are tons of people that thrive on those types of rides and I completely respect that. However, it is just not for me.
Also, the rides you were talking about, for the most part would take atleast 1.5 hours of FREEWAY riding just to get to the meet-spot. Then it is off to ride the route, then ride the hour or so back to the house. I can get up in the morning and do some stuff around the house, decide to run crab, head that way, run it 2 or 3 times, then head home in time to go to dinner with friends when they get off work.

I agree with what you are saying here, I'm in the same boat.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:38 AM   #38
Kevmster_K

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Ducati 916

Send a message via AIM to Kevmster_K Send a message via MSN to Kevmster_K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevmster_K
Quote:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...03476&t=h&z=19
I was actually out riding this exact stretch of road this past sunday for a good 3 hours or so... tend to hit this spot up every weekend
Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #39
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Bike(s):

Quote:
Yup. From the Souf side Crabb is about the only close turns around. And for convenience it is nice.

But the person who started the thread asked:

Crabb River Road...

Any chance someone can give me an idea of the roads to hit in this area? I've never been down that way and would be coming from the Katy/Richmond area.

For this guy it's a probably not but a 20 minute extra ride to hit west versus south. The TSBA guys know the roads. Sure, group rides suck in general due to inexperience, but it is about the only way to get seat of the pants introduction to nice roads. I found 149 and the forest on a charity ride with 500 riders or so.

werd
Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #40
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Many thanks for all of the replies. Especially the PMs and emails offering to meet up and ride.

For the time being I'm just trying get a feel for this bike and get back used to riding again. I'm avoiding groups until I get a bit more confident. The last thing I want is to be responsible for bringing another rider down with me because I did something stupid. Plus I promised my wife I'd be a good boy if I got on a bike again.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement