MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
S.D.W.
...Ready
 
S.D.W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,147

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110






Sprocket / Chain question

So I kept the gearing stock on my R1 for the first few times I hit the track so I can get used to track riding without too much torque at my finger tips. I think its time that I make a few changes. Probably -1/+1 or just -1 up front.

My bike has about 11k on it, stock chain. Has anyone ever made a sprocket change and kept the stock chain? It just seems like a waste to get rid of my chain thats performing fine. If it is too much of a strain, or the chain will likely give out after a 1-2k more than I'll just do it.

Looking for thoughts / advice from those who have tried making sprocket change without changing the chain out. Am I penny pinching the wrong thing?
__________________
HouseOfPaint
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chain and sprocket question TheBeeDeeGee General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 06-07-2013 10:45 AM
Chain/Sprocket Question for a CBR600RR 2005 JusAnotherTran How To's and Q & A's 2 04-10-2011 10:28 AM
noob chain & sprocket question, OEM or aftermarket? urbanXJ How To's and Q & A's 11 08-07-2010 08:06 AM
another chain sprocket question mekrew Taking it to the Track 14 02-25-2009 04:46 PM
chain and sprocket question...... dizsideup General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-24-2006 09:44 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
dudewhrsmybike
Moderator
 
dudewhrsmybike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,665

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS




Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Dude, you ride a I-4 1k.
You will always have too much torque @ your fingertips.
__________________


It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF
 
yellowjacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW Side
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 2,897

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*








Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
actually I just changed mine on the r1.. going down one in the front is perfect.. felt alot better. I did a 520 chain conversion but I really couldnt tell you how good of an idea it was yet.. we will see how many miles I get out of it. But go to r1forum.net and do some searches. I would just buy the whole sprocket and chain set and then you wont have to change the chain at a different time as a sprocket.. just my thought plus isnt it cheaper to just buy the kit then piece together sprockets???
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
S.D.W.
...Ready
 
S.D.W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,147

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110






Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Dude, you ride a I-4 1k.
You will always have too much torque @ your fingertips.
yeah yeah. The gears are long, I stay in 2nd and 3rd at msrh,
I even did several laps in 2nd gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
actually I just changed mine on the r1.. going down one in the front is perfect.. felt alot better. I did a 520 chain conversion but I really couldnt tell you how good of an idea it was yet.. we will see how many miles I get out of it. But go to r1forum.net and do some searches. I would just buy the whole sprocket and chain set and then you wont have to change the chain at a different time as a sprocket.. just my thought plus isnt it cheaper to just buy the kit then piece together sprockets???

I've asked this on R1-forum. I've been on there for several years. They said change it. I just wanted to get more opinions. I guess I'll buy both, the 530 is a heavier chain than the 520 right? The 520 should be fine for trackdays and all that right? I'll probably go -1 front and leave er like that. She already pulls hard anywhere above 9k
__________________
HouseOfPaint
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
dudewhrsmybike
Moderator
 
dudewhrsmybike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,665

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS




Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
yeah yeah. The gears are long, I stay in 2nd and 3rd at msrh,
I even did several laps in 2nd gear!
I don't even get into 2nd out there on my 10R
Too much power to the rear wheel.
, my rear will step out in 3rd gear no problem.
Maybe R1's are just slow
I went +2 in the rear and didn't notice a diff
__________________


It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF
 
yellowjacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW Side
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 2,897

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*








Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
yeah yeah. The gears are long, I stay in 2nd and 3rd at msrh,
I even did several laps in 2nd gear!




I've asked this on R1-forum. I've been on there for several years. They said change it. I just wanted to get more opinions. I guess I'll buy both, the 530 is a heavier chain than the 520 right? The 520 should be fine for trackdays and all that right? I'll probably go -1 front and leave er like that. She already pulls hard anywhere above 9k
520 is a lighter skinnier chain.. and for a liter bike with so much torque alot of people wouldnt recommend it if I didnt get it for next to nothing I wouldnt of done it.. but go down one in the front like they had on the 99-03 r1's I believe and you should be good to go. I wouldnt know what to do with my r1 on the track thats why Im getting an sv650 tomorrow.. the r1 is a train and keeps pulling
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
S.D.W.
...Ready
 
S.D.W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,147

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110






Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
I don't even get into 2nd out there on my 10R
Too much power to the rear wheel.
, my rear will step out in 3rd gear no problem.
Maybe R1's are just slow
I went +2 in the rear and didn't notice a diff
The r1 is nothing to brag about below 7k. This bike has to be ridden high in the revs to get on the power, then its a beast. Ask Curt how slow my bike is
__________________
HouseOfPaint
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
S.D.W.
...Ready
 
S.D.W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,147

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110






Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
520 is a lighter skinnier chain.. and for a liter bike with so much torque alot of people wouldnt recommend it if I didnt get it for next to nothing I wouldnt of done it.. but go down one in the front like they had on the 99-03 r1's I believe and you should be good to go. I wouldnt know what to do with my r1 on the track thats why Im getting an sv650 tomorrow.. the r1 is a train and keeps pulling
Werd. I really enjoy this bike on the track. I have to stay steady with the gas but its alot of fun out there! GL on hitting the track, did u find a track bike yet? I'm thread jacking my own thread,
__________________
HouseOfPaint
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF
 
yellowjacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW Side
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 2,897

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*








Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
yeah check out this thread http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=90042

im supposed to pick it up at centerville tomorrow night.. now just leathers and boots and of course new tires and im out there with you playa.. Ill bring my r1 out too for some parade laps
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
dudewhrsmybike
Moderator
 
dudewhrsmybike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,665

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS




Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
Werd. I really enjoy this bike on the track. I have to stay steady with the gas but its alot of fun out there!
You have to be hesitant turning the throttle coming out of turns on a 1000.
Unless you like your back end dancing. . . Can't wait to get back on my 636
__________________


It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #11
yellowjacket
S.D.W's BFF
 
yellowjacket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW Side
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 2,897

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2004 YZF-R1 *Street*
2003 CBR 600R *Track*








Send a message via AIM to yellowjacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
You have to be hesitant turning the throttle coming out of turns on a 1000.
Unless you like your back end dancing. . . Can't wait to get back on my 636
a 636 is an awesome bike. I have never owned one but rode my buddies on time around the hill country in san antonio.. great power and is a very nimble and im not a big kawi fan but that was a nice bike
yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
S.D.W.
...Ready
 
S.D.W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,147

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110






Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
You have to be hesitant turning the throttle coming out of turns on a 1000.
Unless you like your back end dancing. . . Can't wait to get back on my 636
I got a lil aggressive with a pass on the outside once and the back end wwent all over te place, shot me ff the track, luckily leadin on a straight so I managed to get back on, no harm done, only to the little man upstairs.

I like it cuz it taught me to be super smooth with the throttle
__________________
HouseOfPaint
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
S.D.W.
...Ready
 
S.D.W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Galleria
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 3,147

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110






Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
yeah check out this thread http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=90042

im supposed to pick it up at centerville tomorrow night.. now just leathers and boots and of course new tires and im out there with you playa.. Ill bring my r1 out too for some parade laps
thanks, I have some leather pants that I would make you a deal on, lemme know, they would fit your size just right from what u said so far
__________________
HouseOfPaint
S.D.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy