MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 02:41 AM   #41
nihaikitty
Squidette

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post
Telling random people about wearing proper gear, calling people squids that you don't even know, etc has gotten really old on this board and I'm sure a lot of people are tired of it. BUT, I think everyone believes its important and should be done when its someone important to you. I'm actually having trouble convincing friends that are new to bikes to wear more than just a helmet.

I actually think that passengers and riders do not grasp what will actually happen to your body when you go down at speed. For example, my friends girlfriend asked me "Why do you wear all that stuff(helmet, jacket, gauntlet gloves, etc), are you not good"? I was dumbfounded at the ignorance.

I don't think people actually have any perspective of what 45, 60, and 80mph actually is.

Next time Im going to explain it like this.
I will tell her to run as fast as she can and do a belly flop on the concrete. Obviously she will say no and i will say..Why not? Your only doing about 12mph.

Then I will tell her to ride a bicycle as fast as she can and jump off. She will say no, and I will say.... Why Not? Your only going about 20mph?

What do you do when its someone you care about?
I had a problem with my dad not wanting to wear gear but wanting to ride my bike. He rode for awhile until he wrecked when I was about one years old and my mom made him sell his bike. His license is still valid, it's like a lifetime M endorsement, I didn't know that existed....so, he thinks that he rides completely fine 20 years later and gear is for wussies. Well, I sat him down and had a serious conversation, that it's not a matter of being good or not, but gear is like health insurance; it's pretty useless until you get sick then you need it. Who needs gear unless you wreck, and he won't wreck he says. Well some lil sweet old lady coming back from church may just forget that red means stop and *smash* your bike (my bike) is toast and so is my dad since he didn't have the forethought to wear gear. Then I gave him an extra helmet that I had and said here's your first piece of gear, it's better than nothing. So of course he wanted to ride, and since it was the first time in two decades I was like "ok, but only in the neighborhood" and he laughs me off, but he stays in the neighborhood and did fine (wobbly, but fine). Now he's shopping for a jacket, and hopefully a new bike soon.

So, if a loved one of yours shrugs off gear as uncool or unnecessary, just sit them down and look them in the eyes and tell them better safe than sorry and no one will call them a wuss for thinking ahead. And if that doesn't work and they try to ride without gear just take your own helmet...

and walk up to them before they ride off...

and, with lots of love....

smack them in the head with it (adjust the amount of force used according to the thickness of their skull). Then, remind them that it would not have hurt had they been wearing a helmet....

Now take away their key since they probably have a concussion.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I can't believe they aren't wearing gear. M@tt General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 01-20-2011 09:42 PM
not wearing gear socplay50 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 03-09-2009 09:25 PM
why worry about other people wearing gear MudBug Safety Corner Main 47 08-14-2008 06:34 PM
Wearing your Gear when not riding Hades General Discussion (Moto Related) 64 05-21-2008 11:45 AM
Well Made Ad For Wearing Your Gear! CubanGIXXER General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-22-2008 09:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #42
knee_dragger

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

Amen to that Marlena.. Most ppl don't know what it's like to fall without wearing gear. I learned the hard way myself.
December 2, 1980-October 13, 2007
You will be missed.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #43
nihaikitty
Squidette

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by knee_dragger View Post
Amen to that Marlena.. Most ppl don't know what it's like to fall without wearing gear. I learned the hard way myself.
Sucks, homes. Roadrash pics?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #44
knee_dragger

Bike(s):
crf450

Wish I took pics but it was 8 years ago. Homes? Whacha tryin to say? I'm an essey? Haha
You will be missed.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:13 AM   #45
nihaikitty
Squidette

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Nah, dog, I'm just bustin you (but I thought that you were of latin origin, am I wrong?), be cool be cool. You and I have been on the board long enough, I thought that our pw/pw relationship had reached the level of casual ebonic nicknames. But really, our PW convo is about to end; I'm just waiting for my laundry to finish drying and I wish I was in bed like two hours ago cause I have the sniffles X 10. Got any scars?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #46
knee_dragger

Bike(s):
crf450

True true.. Lol Alright then homie g dawg.
You will be missed.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 AM   #47
Sauce

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
'06 Virago 250

I don't even have a motorcycle yet. I came here to look at some MSF info and saw a thread about gear. First time I had heard about anythin other than a helmet.

Why squid?
Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #48
knee_dragger

Bike(s):
crf450

Something about Stupid Quick Underdressed Ignorant Dangerous... I hope thats close enough. Someone correct me!!!
You will be missed.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #49
ChrisGo

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

People that don't wear gear other than a helmet usually come out looking like a squid after a bad wreck.
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #50
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

I believe in tough love. Sometimes a life can be saved if they wore gear....

however, for the other percentage that dont die...tough love. they will learn the hard way. I did-kinda (no gloves at 70mph).

and 12mph when she runs - , more like maybe 8mph maybe 8.5 haha.- but i liked the analogies you have for come backs

Advertisement