MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #21
BBlue

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
05 GSXR 750

its kinda funny how ppl are soo against riding with gear...i kno some that rather spend 500 on a new exhaust or somethin else other than gear cuz it makes the bike look "cooler"...until they wrecked and all i had was a smile on my face and an i told u so...sad but tru...i also had an ex that refused to wear gear when i would ask her to ride with me so i basically told her i aint goin anywhere unless u put on gear and i broke it down on y she needed it and she still refused...so i was just like screw it im goin solo and that was that...its amazing the ignorance of ppl sometimes u kno
BBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I can't believe they aren't wearing gear. M@tt General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 01-20-2011 09:42 PM
not wearing gear socplay50 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 03-09-2009 09:25 PM
why worry about other people wearing gear MudBug Safety Corner Main 47 08-14-2008 06:34 PM
Wearing your Gear when not riding Hades General Discussion (Moto Related) 64 05-21-2008 11:45 AM
Well Made Ad For Wearing Your Gear! CubanGIXXER General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-22-2008 09:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #22
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I have a scar on my elbow from falling off at the golf course at 15 MPH, wearing a swaetshirt that didn't even rip thru. It just slipped with the concrete and gave me a baaad rug burn. The scab lasted 5 weeks. Yes, 15 MPH and it was a PITA. I ride the GC in a mesh jacket now, and jeans. But top speed is probably only like 45 MPH.

I can't begin to imagine how much that foot in the pic above hurts.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #23
ChrisGo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
I have a scar on my elbow from falling off at the golf course at 15 MPH,

I can't begin to imagine how much that foot in the pic above hurts.
If you read the article at the link I sent, you can read her story, she describes everything pretty well lol

I think the first time I ate it on the street was on a kx80 when I was about 12, coming back from the trails. I had to ride down a main street to get between the trails and my house. I was on my way back, covered in mud, wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a huge MX helmet since I had a HUGE noggin at the time . I was bangin gears on that little thing trying to hurry so that I didn't get caught again.....the police officer told me before that he was going to take my bike if he caught me again....I believed him.

At the top of 5th,I see Mr police man coming the opposite direction! So what do I do? Attempt to turn around and run by slamming on the back brakes. Well in the next few seconds I realized that MX tires with mud on them do not get much traction on the blacktop. I lay it down still going about 35 and start doing all kinds of silly tumbles and backflops. My bike ends up sliding about 20 ft in front of the cruiser who had pulled into the intersection to stop me. As I was walking back to my bike to shut it off, and also towards to officer, I felt like a complete idiot and couldnt feel all of the road rash. He had the most stunned look on his face. We both starred at each other for a second. Then he says,"Son......are you ok?". I nod. He then says "How about walking that thing home". I nod again and started on my way.
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #24
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

i use the bellyflop analogy and I also say... does coarse grain sandpaper feel good against your face? "no", then I say what If I got an industrial grade belt sander and held it for say 15 seconds against your face at full speed? "ok" that's coming a fraction of how painful and devasting effect will be to your body.... and all riders can't predict a wreck. In fact if you push your limits and race you'll end up having to ride so close to the edge of the limit that you'll learn the hardway what the edge is.... be nice to learn from it, get up with minimal damage and ride better because of it
Old 04-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #25
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

I always show people nasty road rash that could have been easily avoided with proper gear.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #26
dudewhrsmybike

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
ride2die.com should do the job

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #27
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

A guy at work saw me changing in the locker room the other day and said "I never wore all that stuff when I used to ride". I told him that they did not make this stuff so it could sit on a shelf and look pretty. I said I'll wear all this stuff and know that if I hit the pavement that my skin is not going to take all the damage from the fall. He looked at me like I was crazy or something. The guys I work with are relentless. One guy calls me "Turbo Man" all the time. I guess it would be better than "Skin rash dude".
Old 04-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #28
01ducatiss

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2001 ducati 750 supersport

Send a message via Yahoo to 01ducatiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisG4 View Post
When I got my bike, I didnt know chit about anything, but I did tell my self. "The very first thing Im getting, is my helmet, and some gloves" And two weeks later when I was comfortable enough to get out of my neighborhood, and I had money, I got me my jacket. I just cant picture how some people think they dont need to wear gear. After I read the story of the Road Rash Queen, I became an even greater believer of gear, and after my wreck, I was SOOO glad I had that helmet and jacket on. Although it gets kinda hot in the summer, its ok, I can live with it, sweat wipes off, road rash doesnt.
I have to agree. before i even say my bike i spent almost $2000 on my gear, and had to wait almost a year before i took my first ride.... But i was prepared!!! my dad has a harley softail and i agree with him that it looks badass but he doesnt even werar gloves. he bought a brain bucket when he first got it but i think he is too "cool" for it now. my stepmom passed out while on the back of it while doing about 75mph... she had on a brain bucket thank ... he felt the weight shift and turned around just in time to grab her with his left hand and pull her back up, she fell over on the bike and hit her head on the asphault a few times just dangling off the bike. I cannot get through to him and its kinda scary because he is a big fan of having a few beers and hitting the road... I dont think i will ever be able to get through to him...very sad when you think about it.
01ducatiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #29
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I got something for ya... hold please. If you dont have realplayer, download it free so you can download streaming video.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #30
k5freek

Bike(s):
2010 Raven R1

I crashed doing a wheelie at 120 when my foot peg broke. I had full gear except jeans on. My whole left side of my body was road rash. Had surgery on wrist and knee. And the road rash was the most painful experience I have ever gone through, I cried everyday for 2 months for the 2 hrs it took to change my bandages. But you know what skin grows back.
In my opinion you are not a squid if you dont have on full leathers and all. They are not going to save your life or keep you from breaking bones. They will only save you some road rash. The important gear is a full face helmet and quality boots. Anything else will just save you from the road rash.
If I were still in California I would be in full gear and leathers all the time.. it actually made the ride more enjoyable. But here in Houston in the summer...no way. Maybe on a group ride, but not for daily commuting.
Yeah road rash sucks big time, but skin grows back. But loosing a foot or toe or cracking the melon don't take much at all. I saw someone die in the pits taking his bike to inspection, and lost control and the foot peg went trough his skull.
Taking a chance on road rash in my opinion is personal choice, but not wearing a hemet and boots is stupidity, but I guess thats personal choice too... at least in Texas

Last edited by k5freek; 04-20-2009 at 04:16 PM.
k5freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #31
kinnlyn

Bike(s):
ninja 636
crf 230
ninja500 sold
ninja 650r wrecked

I was 15 when I saw a friends vicious case of roadrash. He was a passenger and was wearing shorts & a tank top. I will never forget that. I will wear gear even if its 110 degrees!!
kinnlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #32
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

I think Gixxer600's perspective is important though - there's no point in responding with "you're an idiot" or something like that to people. That won't help or change minds. And it's not too funny for someone to not be worried about taking care of themselves, unless they really know the risks. So if someone says why, I say, i don't want to hit and slide down the concrete on my skin, so I wear gear.

Besides, if you've never gotten carpet burns on your knees, you're not playing hard enough, and you know how those can be painful...

k5freek: the difference between all that medical care, bandage-changing pain, and scarring, loss of work, potential serious infection, is possibly a simple piece of clothing...

I had a wipe-out on rollerblades - seriously - ended up landing face first and rolling - concrete went right through my shirt and rashed my whole chest, shoulder and part of my back... and that was at about 15 mph or so falling from standing height. It just doesn't take much! the next several days sucked!

I say, if you want air-conditioned comfort - take a car. If you truly can't imagine what could happen if you end up sliding down the road, you really shouldn't be riding anyway. If safety has to be legislated for people to take it seriously, I support it. I definitely support a helmet law.

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #33
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Agreed Mr. P! I crashed so many times at the golf course, and I haven't been there as much as the crew has! I remember a few tumbles on teh 50 wearing a textile jacket and pants. I still had road rash on my knees going ~20mph.

And last weekend was the first real low-side w the 'tard. I had full leathers on and escaped only with a bruised hip from the initial impact. I loves me some gear.

Let Darwinism take its toll.

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #34
SVmike
nuthin'

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post
Telling random people about wearing proper gear, calling people squids that you don't even know, etc has gotten really old on this board and I'm sure a lot of people are tired of it. BUT, I think everyone believes its important and should be done when its someone important to you. I'm actually having trouble convincing friends that are new to bikes to wear more than just a helmet.

I actually think that passengers and riders do not grasp what will actually happen to your body when you go down at speed. For example, my friends girlfriend asked me "Why do you wear all that stuff(helmet, jacket, gauntlet gloves, etc), are you not good"? I was dumbfounded at the ignorance.

I don't think people actually have any perspective of what 45, 60, and 80mph actually is.

Next time Im going to explain it like this.
I will tell her to run as fast as she can and do a belly flop on the concrete. Obviously she will say no and i will say..Why not? Your only doing about 12mph.

Then I will tell her to ride a bicycle as fast as she can and jump off. She will say no, and I will say.... Why Not? Your only going about 20mph?

What do you do when its someone you care about?
That's how I explain it to people. I used to show up wearing all my gear except leather pants. Friends would inquire as to why I was wearing boots, back protector, ear plugs even. They would say "I never see other riders wear all that. How come?" or "Is all that gear really necessary?" or "Why do you wear all that stuff?"

It's funny how some people look at me when I would tell them to run as fast as they could and then fall on purpose. "Why would I do that? I'm not stupid." or "But that's going to hurt." to which I say "Exactly."

I like it when I can see a persons gears turning when they think about it all. Some of them get this "holy , i'm lucky I haven't gone down yet since I have nothing but cheap helmet."
Old 11-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #35
SVmike
nuthin'

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
k5freek, how did the whole left side of your body get rashed if you were wearing a jacket? Was it mesh? Did the jacket ride up b/c it wasn't attached to pants?
Gear is a personal choice, but some people just don't think about what happens when their body slides across pavement.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #36
01jackedZ

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX6R - Sold
2007 Kawi ZX6

just took a peek at ride2die........holy !
welcome to the addiction!
01jackedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #37
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #38
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned