MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
ChrisGo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Explaining to friends and loved ones, the importance of wearing gear

Telling random people about wearing proper gear, calling people squids that you don't even know, etc has gotten really old on this board and I'm sure a lot of people are tired of it. BUT, I think everyone believes its important and should be done when its someone important to you. I'm actually having trouble convincing friends that are new to bikes to wear more than just a helmet.

I actually think that passengers and riders do not grasp what will actually happen to your body when you go down at speed. For example, my friends girlfriend asked me "Why do you wear all that stuff(helmet, jacket, gauntlet gloves, etc), are you not good"? I was dumbfounded at the ignorance.

I don't think people actually have any perspective of what 45, 60, and 80mph actually is.

Next time Im going to explain it like this.
I will tell her to run as fast as she can and do a belly flop on the concrete. Obviously she will say no and i will say..Why not? Your only doing about 12mph.

Then I will tell her to ride a bicycle as fast as she can and jump off. She will say no, and I will say.... Why Not? Your only going about 20mph?

What do you do when its someone you care about?
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I can't believe they aren't wearing gear. M@tt General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 01-20-2011 09:42 PM
not wearing gear socplay50 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 03-09-2009 09:25 PM
why worry about other people wearing gear MudBug Safety Corner Main 47 08-14-2008 06:34 PM
Wearing your Gear when not riding Hades General Discussion (Moto Related) 64 05-21-2008 11:45 AM
Well Made Ad For Wearing Your Gear! CubanGIXXER General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-22-2008 09:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

That will definately put it in perspective for people.
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post
I will tell her to run as fast as she can and do a belly flop on the concrete.
slip & slide!
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
I find pictures communicate the importance of gear more than words.
Print out a few pictures of someone thats gone down without gear and stick it in your coat pocket. Maybe that'll help open their eyes.
If not, just let Darwin do his thing.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Jaygermeister
Get out of my way Jimmy

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R 1340 Hayabusa CBR1100XX Superblackbird & CBR600F4 track bike

I try to tell my Harley buddies all the time but they don't listen ... some people have to learn the hard way..... if they get a second chance. I can't nanny them into it.

I hate rules
Explaining to friends and lvoed ones, the importance of wearing gear
Track days are like going to Las Vegas If you canít afford to lose it donít go!!!!!
Jaygermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

actually all the squid talk has backed down alot on this site. should have been here a few years ago. I think everyone has come to grips with not being able to get through to certain people. We still try, but some people will never listen.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Telling random people about wearing proper gear, calling people squids that you don't even know, etc has gotten really old on this board and I'm sure a lot of people are tired of it. BUT, I think everyone believes its important and should be done when its someone important to you. I'm actually having trouble convincing friends that are new to bikes to wear more than just a helmet.

I actually think that passengers and riders do not grasp what will actually happen to your body when you go down at speed. For example, my friends girlfriend asked me "Why do you wear all that stuff(helmet, jacket, gauntlet gloves, etc), are you not good"? I was dumbfounded at the ignorance.

I don't think people actually have any perspective of what 45, 60, and 80mph actually is.

Next time Im going to explain it like this.
I will tell her to run as fast as she can and do a belly flop on the concrete. Obviously she will say no and i will say..Why not? Your only doing about 12mph.

Then I will tell her to ride a bicycle as fast as she can and jump off. She will say no, and I will say.... Why Not? Your only going about 20mph?

What do you do when its someone you care about?
That's a great way of explaining it.

It really is more ignorance, than it is stupidity.

At the same time... who over here, who has ever mocked or condescended any other rider to be a SQUID, has actually ever crashed at any slow or moderate speed without gear? Even if you're just wearing a helmet, and nothing other? (I'm talking anywhere from 20-45mph +/-)

It's also about how much risk each individual is willing to take. In my younger years (see avatar pic from 24 yrs ago!), I rode around like that quite often when going on local roads. I've crashed at over 45 as well, and I fared ok... considering (road rash, no broken bones). But then, I used to race (Cycling USCF), and we only wore cycling helmets with our spandex shorts/jerseys, and have crashed at high speeds many times as well... so I knew how to crash or fall. I've crashed at the bottom of a steep downhill, and into a row of evergreen bushes once... OUCH! I didn't think much other than "... this sucks". I was more concerned about my bike, actually!!

Back then, it was smart to wear a denim jacket, or any type of leather jacket (think Tom Cruise' bomber jacket in Top Gun). What was considered "stupid" or "squidly" (if there even was such a term back then), was to ride without a helmet, and at least some half-fingered gloves. If I knew I was gonna go on the highway, then I'd be sure to wear a helmet, denim/bomber jacket, jeans, and gloves... but that's it. Locally... hardly ever. None of my friends did either, actually. It wasn't as big an issue as it is now. Ignorance vs. Knowledge.

Knowledge is power! With what we've learned, and what has been developed (in safety gear), over the years, it's just a matter of informing new riders/passengers of waht is at stake if they choose not to wear gear. I wear gear all the time now because the knowledge and technology is here... plus at 42 yrs old, I'm pretty sure concrete and dirt will feel alot harder than it did when I was 18

Last edited by FlipSideUp; 04-18-2009 at 10:53 AM.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Everyone I know or talk to about riding immediately understands the importance of proper gear. Maybe you need smarter friends?

I'm sure that sounds harsh and I'm certainly aware of the prevailing attitude towards riding gearless. All I have to do is look around Houston everyday at the helmetless, jacketless, and sometimes shoeless (saw one of these over the weekend) morons cruising the streets. I just tend to see them and dismiss them as "that guy", the one I'll probably be reading a news story about that includes the words "fatality", "no helmet" and "head trauma".
Unfortunately I can't display much compassion for these people. My wife and family are not big fans of riding. They constantly bring to my attention stories of riders getting hurt or killed and I always have to point out the fact that these people for the most part either weren't wearing gear or were riding well past the limits of themselves and the streets. I have to distance myself from them and their behavior to show that I'm not them. I know that my skin and skull are no match for concrete. I know I'm not immortal. Most of all I know that I want to come home after every ride on the same two wheels I left on and not be the subject of a RIP thread because I chose to be safe.

As for explaining why you should wear gear to someone with an IQ higher than 50, you shouldn't have to.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
Champ DP

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
07 CBR 600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansodw76 View Post
Everyone I know or talk to about riding immediately understands the importance of proper gear. Maybe you need smarter friends?

I'm sure that sounds harsh and I'm certainly aware of the prevailing attitude towards riding gearless. All I have to do is look around Houston everyday at the helmetless, jacketless, and sometimes shoeless (saw one of these over the weekend) morons cruising the streets. I just tend to see them and dismiss them as "that guy", the one I'll probably be reading a news story about that includes the words "fatality", "no helmet" and "head trauma".
Unfortunately I can't display much compassion for these people. My wife and family are not big fans of riding. They constantly bring to my attention stories of riders getting hurt or killed and I always have to point out the fact that these people for the most part either weren't wearing gear or were riding well past the limits of themselves and the streets. I have to distance myself from them and their behavior to show that I'm not them. I know that my skin and skull are no match for concrete. I know I'm not immortal. Most of all I know that I want to come home after every ride on the same two wheels I left on and not be the subject of a RIP thread because I chose to be safe.

As for explaining why you should wear gear to someone with an IQ higher than 50, you shouldn't have to.
I think that's a bit hard because as in many things in life you'll pick up the good/bad habits from people you surround yourself with. It is about empowering people with knowledge and trying to teach them a better way, granted you're going to have people that will never listen but my experience has been the more you lead by example the more likely close friends/riders will be to be safer. Also, the demographic of alot of these squids has alot to do with it. Many guys in their late teens early 20s stll have that invincibility syndrome making them more reluctant to want to gear up. As for the streets I've seen too many examples where the rider has done nothing wrong and still gone down.
Champ DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

my friends use to make fun of me all the time for wearing full gear and i tell them look dont be a dumb@$$, wear all your gear because you will find out how much you really need it someday. Two months later he wrecks at 60 mph and has no skin on his arms,legs,feet and back. Did I feel sorry for him? NO, The first thing I told him was you see what you get for being a F'ing Idiot. Some people just dont get it and you have to let them learn the hard way others just tell em straight up and who cares what they think because your only thinking of them
ALEXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I dont consider jeans gear either... but that's just me.

I dont comment anymore with random people unless they comment about all the gear Im wearing. Then its usually something like "if you haven't gone down wearing less gear then this, you wouldnt be the first that isnt able to get up again."

If its someone we are riding with, we usually have minimal gear requirements. If its someone I meet on the street that wants to ride with me and I agree, I let them ride ahead of me and show me how 'bad azz' they are. Otherwise, I let whoever is around me pass me. Or when respectable on a backroad I pass them and continue my ride.

Smoking causes significant health problems, just as drinking or anything in gluttny can lead. Doesn't mean people wont ignore the potential risks.

I've been a babysitter and concerned individual that went out of my way so many times with little result.

Most are worried if their gear matches their bike's paint scheme or the helmet has some badazz image on it. I've never been told my leathers were 'so last season.'

They will learn either the first time the go down or will be a mortar for others.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
klassik

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
rnz450

easy. show them all the deaths and crashes of riders on motohouston. and explain that the experienced riders wear helmets and full gear. they are obviously concerned about how they look on the bike so gear makes them look like a experienced rider.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

i just show them my arm. lol. a co-worker's husband tried whooling a dirt bike on the street while only wearing shorts and sandels a few weeks ago. he looped it and lost his right heel down to the bone. they had to take muscle from his left arm to do a muscle flap and a skin graft from his leg to cover it all. he has a halo to keep it immobilized and now his family is going into financial downfall because of it.

like I tell my son all the time. STUPID HURTS
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
Ogre
Ancient one

Bike(s):
Blackbird

"The only thing in life that can't be taken away from you is your integrity. You have to give it away"
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansodw76 View Post

I believe that is a bit harsh as well. Maybe your having a bad day.....I hope it gets better. I don't think it has anything to do with my friends intelligence, but rather their knowledge. When I actually tell them they should be wearing gear, they, like most, shrug it off as someone being a know-it-all. I actually remember being 16-18 and riding my friends r6 and zx6r around like I was at the nurburgring. Yes, I feel like an idiot now, but I have gained a lot of knowledge in the last 7 years about what would happen.

I'm hoping to find a more efficient way to get people to gear up rather than hearing squid this, squid that every time I'm around someone on a bike or on MH. Its annoying and takes the fun out of riding.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
LuisG4

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R

Send a message via AIM to LuisG4
When I got my bike, I didnt know chit about anything, but I did tell my self. "The very first thing Im getting, is my helmet, and some gloves" And two weeks later when I was comfortable enough to get out of my neighborhood, and I had money, I got me my jacket. I just cant picture how some people think they dont need to wear gear. After I read the story of the Road Rash Queen, I became an even greater believer of gear, and after my wreck, I was SOOO glad I had that helmet and jacket on. Although it gets kinda hot in the summer, its ok, I can live with it, sweat wipes off, road rash doesnt.
LuisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
I believe that is a bit harsh as well. Maybe your having a bad day.....I hope it gets better. I don't think it has anything to do with my friends intelligence, but rather their knowledge. When I actually tell them they should be wearing gear, they, like most, shrug it off as someone being a know-it-all. I actually remember being 16-18 and riding my friends r6 and zx6r around like I was at the nurburgring. Yes, I feel like an idiot now, but I have gained a lot of knowledge in the last 7 years about what would happen.

I'm hoping to find a more efficient way to get people to gear up rather than hearing squid this, squid that every time I'm around someone on a bike or on MH. Its annoying and takes the fun out of riding.
I don't bother calling people out on it. I especially don't toss around the "squid" label. Plus I don't feel I'm being nearly as harsh as the asphalt will be when the time comes.

I always have a good day.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #18
ChrisGo

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisG4 View Post
When I got my bike, I didnt know chit about anything, but I did tell my self. "The very first thing Im getting, is my helmet, and some gloves" And two weeks later when I was comfortable enough to get out of my neighborhood, and I had money, I got me my jacket. I just cant picture how some people think they dont need to wear gear. After I read the story of the Road Rash Queen, I became an even greater believer of gear, and after my wreck, I was SOOO glad I had that helmet and jacket on. Although it gets kinda hot in the summer, its ok, I can live with it, sweat wipes off, road rash doesnt.
Yep, I think this story greatly effected my opinion on gear.
http://www.motortopia.com/blogs/view...lesson_learned
Old 04-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

There was a member on here that rode w just a helmet; for a top I have pics of her in very revealing clothing. Anyways, thank goodness she finally got a jacket. a couple weeks later she went down on a morning ride, tore the shoulder of the jacket.

Since then she has been wearing gear riding about and track.

that's just one story of many; its good to hear people are still wise enough to consider their protection vs lookin' 'cool' for the cagers that would care less.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Sidenote: I was pulled over riding w a group through Clute(I will never ride through there again.) They were all speeding, four lights ahead of three of us and we cruised through the 45mph area. Anyways, they were all pulled over and we got pulled over because I did an 'unsafe lane change' using my hand and bike signal(admitted by cop.) After harrassing the person behind me on her bike(Teela) for almost hitting the cop in pursuit of me after a left turn into a gas station(green arrow) as the cop came across the signal in a red,

the officers pestered me for wearing full gear. I commented back "until they started paying taxes for my health benefits and time off incase a four wheeled vehicle ran a red and hit me, Im going to continue to plan for the unexpected."

So, leathers may make bikers safe and look cooler(poser points and what not) cops still dont justify anything properly.

Advertisement