MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Suspension Setup

Based on what I have read I really wanted to have Motorcycles Unlimited do my suspension setup for the $25, but as with most things here on the board living in Victoria throws a wrench in it.

Who does the adjustments on trackdays for the orgs assuming there is someone there doing it? I will be at MSRH on the 25th with Ride Smart but wanted to get feedback on whether or not it is worth waiting to take it in to Motorcycles Unlimited. I will be doing a few other trackdays this year but would rather have it setup right on the first trackday instead of getting used to it again the next time out.

I would take it in Friday but I get out of work at 2 then heading to Kemah, which is about a 3 hr drive, to try and get some boots so I don't have to pay to rent them. And then getting through traffic there would be no way to get up to up to Motorcycles Unlimited in time.

I also have a credit with LSTD that I will redeem soon, not sure when though if they have someone that does a really good job with it. Not trying to start a debate with who is better just hoping to get some good insight on what I should do with the setup and where to take it.

Thanks for any input on this!
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension Setup..... trooper Motorcycles Unlimited 13 11-07-2014 09:44 AM
Thanks - suspension setup Mr.M Motorcycles Unlimited 3 12-26-2013 10:21 PM
Suspension Setup Thanks Hail Motorcycles Unlimited 2 05-24-2012 02:28 PM
Suspension setup 244 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 01-13-2010 08:23 AM
suspension setup? pester Motorcycles Unlimited 4 11-25-2008 09:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Either route you go with will be fine. Go with what is convenient fir you. The important thing is that you get t done. What is your weight?
Old 04-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

weight right now is about 230. Been hitting the gym pretty regularly and about to start doing a lot of cardio even though I hate it with a passion..
Old 04-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
A good place to do it would probably be at the track with someone who will be there all day to work with you and make additional adjustments.

Not to say Patrick @ Motorcycles Unlimited isn't an excellent guy to go to, but you probably want to try and keep to one suspension tuner, and ideally, you're going to want him at the track with you, to help you zero in on a good set-up.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

For sure get it setup. With your weight, I would say go to the track and have the guy set it up there. You can even drop back by and have him make adjustments all day for the one time price! Patrick knows his ish but if its way out of the way then do the trackside support
Old 04-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

^with all that said you will never set it up perfect at one track and then never touch it again. each track is different. I had mine done during the winter and still dialing it in. have them write your settings down and go test it for a couple laps and then make a lcick here or a click there couple laps and see what it does. but have it set up by a prof first...
Old 04-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

For some odd reason it hadn't even crossed my mind about getting it readjusted right after getting off the track, what a good idea. Thanks.

Anybody had theirs done with Ride Smart? I will try and get in contact with Ciaka or someone at Ride Smart to see who they use and how to find them when I get there.

About how long does this setup take? Will they be out there Friday night to do it or will I have to cut into track time on Saturday to get it done?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

time???? Couple minutes. Once you have you settings written down you can do it on your own. Have Roger (Ride Smart suspension guy) show you whats what and that way you can bring a screwdriver out to the wall do a couple laps see what its doing and then adjust it accordingly. of course you only want to adjust it 1 or 2 clicks at a time. as far as which way does what I will let someone more experienced chime in.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
time???? Couple minutes. Once you have you settings written down you can do it on your own. Have Roger (Ride Smart suspension guy) show you whats what and that way you can bring a screwdriver out to the wall do a couple laps see what its doing and then adjust it accordingly. of course you only want to adjust it 1 or 2 clicks at a time. as far as which way does what I will let someone more experienced chime in.
Freakin awesome, exactly what I was hoping to hear was dreading it was gonna take a while. Can't wait to get out there and have the fast guys and people that know what they're doing tell me what to do
Old 04-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

not quite that easy gray j. Your suspension set up will depend on your riding style. Prolly best to put a zip tie on your fork (tight enough not to move but not tight enough to restrict its movement) then go out and ride a couple sessions. then go to Roger. That allows him to see what it is doing. Rememeber the faster you go the more you will need to adjust your suspension. Right now your suspension might be perfect for your level. Just some things to keep in mind and that may help. Also remember I know nothing about suspension. LOL
Old 04-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
There is a lot of good information to be found on the internet and talking to people on forums.

But now isn't the time to try and make sense of all the things that go into suspension set-up and how a suspension works.

You've done the right thing and that's ask where to go for set-up help. Just wait until you get to the track and have the tuner explain to you what he's doing and why. This way you have a visual along with the explanation.

Trying to get your head around suspension tuning is difficult to begin with, but it makes it easier when you see it being applied.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

O absolutely, I'm not touching anything until I get there. I have no business messing with it and I know that much lol. Unless I am told something specific to do by him, I'm not gonna chance messing it up.

Advertisement