MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #21
striker
Zip Tie Guy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
That's what it is to me. Every aspect of motorcycling is what it's all about.

But to those that think it's only about "railing" a sportbike, then maybe the track is the only thing they need... and good on them if that's all they care for. To me, it's everthing you mentioned, and then a whole lot more then just that.

Well said, both of you. I couldn't have said it better

Lee Harvey Oswald: Where are you when we need you?
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is street riding worth it ? duston98 General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 07-18-2012 01:24 PM
What tires do you think are the best for street riding?? Stryker Performance and Modifications 49 01-31-2012 05:19 PM
Its official, no more street riding for me!!!! Metzzen1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 07-07-2009 03:32 PM
Street riding story BigComfy General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-07-2007 12:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #22
DLSGAP
Whats the "Dragon"

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'11 FZ8

My bike isn't a track only bike and I only ride it on the track... its a pain taping it off each time.. but i get so little enjoyment out of street riding i just dno't bother anymore

"If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do for you "
DLSGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #23
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I love riding the streets, I love riding the track, I love every aspect of riding motorcycles. Ill be at the Drag strip with my neibhors friday night, the track saturday and maybe a nice cruise through coldsprings on sunday. Ive met alot of people riding backroads and just riding around to ASI or HAK, Ive met alot of people who dont understand what the track is. It seems like no matter how many riders I talk to or give a Ride Smart flyer out to, theres always newbies that no nothing and flat out need help. If we all just quit riding the street, who is to help these newbies?? Or I could just sit here on the computer all day and say "riding the streets is dangerous blah blah blah..." nah, that aint me. OK so riding around Houston highways get old fast, so go explore some backroads. You dont have to haul azz to get satisfaction, we had a PERFECT Fayetteville ride last friday, cruising the entire way. Go out to Fayetteville in afternoon and sight-see, youll be very impressed, it never gets old.

Like I said before, I feel sorry for people that dont get satisfaction out of riding around the streets.

no one said don't ride the streets... he was looking to see who had quit and what their views about it are now. btw, since when is it my responsibility to see that everyone that rides knows how to do it properly?
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #24
cyrick21
RIP Coach Dave

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1999 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Track)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (Sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to cyrick21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
so I'm 98% sure I'm making my bike a track hoe right after Coach Dave's ride..

my question is for the people that have done the same...do you miss the street or backroads? I hate riding on the street, its boring and seems more risky than track riding...but then theres the forest, Fayetteville, coldsprngs, etc.

i love those roads but theres an even bigger risk out there sometimes..

So who has done it?

who misses the street?

Who thinks it was a better decision to go track only?

Right there with you man..... I have been debating on selling my R1 for the past 3-4 weeks. I just dont really feel like riding it any more. I get all everything I need out of riding the track, and when I am off the track I really dont start feeling the itch again for a couple of days. Sometimes longer than a week. By that time another track day is around the corner.

right now i am averaging 2-3 days a month with track days. Which basically leaves me 1 weekend to ride the backroads if I felt like it. But I dont, I would rather spend the time with my family as, I spend the other weekends at the track...lol.

I know if I do end up selling the R1, I will replace it with another bike later on down the line, but as of right now, I just dont ride it. I feel that my R6 will do me just fine until then.

We will see though

http://cyrick21.mybrute.com/
cyrick21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #25
chase
LOCTITE

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

I just don't see the point anymore, I am by no means a track pro but the street just doesn't do it for me anymore, I dont have the willpower to not open it up and the streets aren't too forgiving of that.

I dunno, I'm just tired of dodging cars
Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #26
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
I just don't see the point anymore, I am by no means a track pro but the street just doesn't do it for me anymore, I dont have the willpower to not open it up and the streets aren't too forgiving of that.

I dunno, I'm just tired of dodging cars
Nakeds (or bikes with handlebars) are a whole lot of fun on the streets. The fact that they're geared and tuned for the streets makes the difference as well.

If you insist on owning a sportbike, then I can understand how taking it to the track is a whole lot more fun than riding that bike well below it's limits, in a relatively safe manner, in the streets.

I can't say I don't understand why someone would buy an all-out sportbike, when all they do is ride the streets. I do understand, actually... as we (older riders) have all most likely been there, or are still there. It's no different than wanting to own a Porsche or a Vette on the streets. We want them because we want them... there's no need for a rational explanation. We will never drive that Porsche, Vette, Rally Car, etc... as they were intended to be driven if we only drive them on the streets... yet we want them, in spite of the impracticality. We have a need for speed or a need for that adrenaline fix.

If you feel you cannot discipline yourselves enough to ride a sportbike safely on the streets, then by all means do the right thing, and keep it on the track. It's your life, and you need to look out for it.

Everyone who's gone track only is gonna have just as many different opinions (regret it... don't regret it/miss it... don't miss it). Only a few of them might matter, or be relevant to you; yet, you may not even know which ones yet. We're all different. Just know who you are, make your decision, and go with it.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #27
chase
LOCTITE

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
Nakeds (or bikes with handlebars) are a whole lot of fun on the streets. The fact that they're geared and tuned for the streets makes the difference as well.

If you insist on owning a sportbike, then I can understand how taking it to the track is a whole lot more fun than riding that bike well below it's limits, in a relatively safe manner, in the streets.

I can't say I don't understand why someone would buy an all-out sportbike, when all they do is ride the streets. I do understand, actually... as we (older riders) have all most likely been there, or are still there. It's no different than wanting to own a Porsche or a Vette on the streets. We want them because we want them... there's no need for a rational explanation. We will never drive that Porsche, Vette, Rally Car, etc... as they were intended to be driven if we only drive them on the streets... yet we want them, in spite of the impracticality. We have a need for speed or a need for that adrenaline fix.

If you feel you cannot discipline yourselves enough to ride a sportbike safely on the streets, then by all means do the right thing, and keep it on the track. It's your life, and you need to look out for it.

Everyone who's gone track only is gonna have just as many different opinions (regret it... don't regret it/miss it... don't miss it). Only a few of them might matter, or be relevant to you; yet, you may not even know which ones yet. We're all different. Just know who you are, make your decision, and go with it.

very well put
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #28
S.D.W.
...Ready

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
You dont have to haul azz to get satisfaction

Like I said before, I feel sorry for people that dont get satisfaction out of riding around the streets.

Yes I do! I'm not much for cruising on my bike.

Dont feel sorry for me. I get plenty of joy at the track mang. The street just doesn't do it for me, plain and simple. Carry on.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #29
SiG239

Feedback Rating: (7)

I am just now getting into track days but pushing the limit on the streets is something that does not interest me anymore and feel the same as many have shared in this thread. My only hesitation in that I still owe on the bike. Have talked to my insurance company and they will for sure cover it if the event is not for money. However not sure about converting it to a full track bike and the problems involved with insurance or loan in doing so, guess I need to do some more research.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #30
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I havent rode the streets in like 3 or 4 weeks with the exception of Coach's wake. Not becuase i am getting off them but because I have been doing a track day every weekend. I just havent had the desire to ride on teh street. Fortunately, I have 2 bikes. I dont have to go back and forth between street and track.

But Yes, Chase...the thought crosses my mind. I will always have something to ride on the street. Just maybe something slower. I am too irresponsible.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #31
chase
LOCTITE

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
Yes I do! I'm not much for cruising on my bike.

Dont feel sorry for me. I get plenty of joy at the track mang. The street just doesn't do it for me, plain and simple. Carry on.
jason says u still belong in novice

he's drunk sitting next to me
Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #32
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I havent rode the streets in like 3 or 4 weeks with the exception of Coach's wake. Not becuase i am getting off them but because I have been doing a track day every weekend. I just havent had the desire to ride on teh street. Fortunately, I have 2 bikes. I dont have to go back and forth between street and track.

But Yes, Chase...the thought crosses my mind. I will always have something to ride on the street. Just maybe something slower. I am too irresponsible.
ME 2. At least we acknowledge that fact and take some action towards it.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #33
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:

Then he belongs in level one cuz every time I see, I smoke his @$$$

HAHA, Jason! WAZZUP, u hittin it on the 25th?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #34
chase
LOCTITE

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

yah thats what im thinkin, when i ride street im always with friends that are track-oriented, and even though im completely comfortable with the higher paced rides, theres always that possibility of that car pulling out of the driveway as we come over the hill...
Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #35
chase
LOCTITE

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D.W. View Post
Then he belongs in level one cuz every time I see, I smoke his @$$$

HAHA, Jason! WAZZUP, u hittin it on the 25th?
yah we will b there

he said he is ready for round 4 or 5 of u owning him

and he said ur fast...on the straights
Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #36
bigpat728
fastest Flip on MH

Bike(s):
'97 kawasaki ninja 250

Send a message via AIM to bigpat728
i will never give up the streets. but i don't have to ride my bike everyday like some people. the only time i ride is when we go on a ride out to the country side. i understand what your saying. but what are you going to do when the track season in over? i think this year, we rode the whole year. like hooli said. we don't have to go out to enjoy the ride. but just to have fun with our friends and ride and have a good lunch 150 miles away from home is always fun.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #37
bigpat728
fastest Flip on MH

Bike(s):
'97 kawasaki ninja 250

Quote:

your new BFF
Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #38
chase
LOCTITE

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpat728 View Post
your new BFF
ur my bff too pat
Old 04-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #39
bigpat728
fastest Flip on MH

Bike(s):
'97 kawasaki ninja 250

Quote:
ur my bff too pat
Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #40
spring r1

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
07 r1
04gsxr600 track
ttr90

i love riding the streets.....but im sick of fuking with the leo's for stupid bs every time i ride it seems..........
spring r1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement