MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #41
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiker21 View Post
im almost tempted to buy a cheap HJC just to ride around with in the mean time.
Your helmet cracked from a 2 ft fall and you're calling HJC cheap?
I ride HJC, and while they're not Shoei or Arai, they are a decent helmet.
I think your incident might help shed some light on the fact that MORE money, doesn't always equal MORE quality.

If what you desire is a $500 helmet, then yes, a cheap HJC will protect you just fine in the meantime! Good luck!
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Think You Dropped Something Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 09-17-2014 11:09 AM
Well I dropped her. humbleassassin General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 08-08-2010 02:18 PM
I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one? Moody Gear Talk 1 07-18-2010 08:29 PM
Yes I dropped it...... SPYDER BITE General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 06-10-2008 08:15 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #42
KillinTime

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

J/C but why did he slap the helmet out of your hand?
KillinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #43
QTip

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 'S'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_sandman View Post
I've always treated my helmets as if they're fine if I just drop em on accident and thought that I'd of course replace the helmet in the case of a crash, but I read something pretty interesting the other day and it made sense..

It said that you should replace your helmet after any fall/impact (didn't specify a particular height/speed) because once it hits the ground, impact-absorbing elements within the structure of the helmet have already diffused energy from whatever impact it underwent, and are therefore compromised. So really it doesn't matter whether your head hit the ground, or just the helmet fell, or whatever. It's a one use type of thing.

Kinda sucks, though, cuz although my helmet hasn't been in a wreck, I have dropped it from a few feet a few times (no real visible damage)

I would replace it if I had the funds for it, but being that I don't... it's not an option right now.

An interesting thing I saw at a M&G the other night was this one guy showed me his helmet that he wrecked in and was bragging about what a great helmet it is because it stood up to the damage and protected his head during the crash.

Might want to replace that helmet, buddy.
I second this...I've never dropped any of my helmets and I do not intend to. Manufacturers will always recommend replacement of a helmet as they are only designed for one impact. It is in the company's best interest to tell a consumer to buy another one. They don't want to get sued!

If it were me, I would invest in a new helmet and use the one I dropped for a spare. Better safe than sorry for me...
QTip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #44
KillinTime

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_sandman View Post
I've always treated my helmets as if they're fine if I just drop em on accident and thought that I'd of course replace the helmet in the case of a crash, but I read something pretty interesting the other day and it made sense..

It said that you should replace your helmet after any fall/impact (didn't specify a particular height/speed) because once it hits the ground, impact-absorbing elements within the structure of the helmet have already diffused energy from whatever impact it underwent, and are therefore compromised. So really it doesn't matter whether your head hit the ground, or just the helmet fell, or whatever. It's a one use type of thing.

Kinda sucks, though, cuz although my helmet hasn't been in a wreck, I have dropped it from a few feet a few times (no real visible damage)

I would replace it if I had the funds for it, but being that I don't... it's not an option right now.

An interesting thing I saw at a M&G the other night was this one guy showed me his helmet that he wrecked in and was bragging about what a great helmet it is because it stood up to the damage and protected his head during the crash.

Might want to replace that helmet, buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTip View Post
I second this...I've never dropped any of my helmets and I do not intend to. Manufacturers will always recommend replacement of a helmet as they are only designed for one impact. It is in the company's best interest to tell a consumer to buy another one. They don't want to get sued!

If it were me, I would invest in a new helmet and use the one I dropped for a spare. Better safe than sorry for me...
Of coarse the manufacture is going to tell you to replace the helmet when dropped. There not going to say yes the helmet can be dropped but only from a distance of 18 inches or less lol...Keeps them from being liable and from a lawsuit.

I will not replace my helmet if i drop it on the floor, They have to be able to withstand some light abuse, Who is to say the helmet wasn't dropped at one point? How does Snell and DOT test the helmets?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #45
sbiker21
scuttlefish

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 sv650sf

Send a message via AIM to sbiker21
helios-im not calling HJC cheap. they are a little heavier than others and that in my opinion is what you get for the money. if it is snell approved it meets and exceeds their standards while others like my old shark were only DOT does not mean that they wouldnt meet the standards of Snell. you are paying the extra money for asthetics, comfort, and ventilation. nothing wrong with HJC though. my friend had one on when he laid his r6 down back in december
Old 04-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #46
KillinTime

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

I have worn my friends 600 dollar shoei and the fitment,weight & ventilation are almost identical to my 200 dollar KBC
Old 04-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #47
Champ DP

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
07 CBR 600rr

Yep, I have an older arai, a hjc, and a scorpion lid and I've worn my homie's soumy several times. Out of all of them the 160 dollar scorpion is best over all (even the arai). I just don't think these lids are 400 dollars better than alot of the other helmets out there (hjc, kbc, scorpion, etc).
Champ DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #48
KillinTime

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ DP View Post
Yep, I have an older arai, a hjc, and a scorpion lid and I've worn my homie's soumy several times. Out of all of them the 160 dollar scorpion is best over all (even the arai). I just don't think these lids are 400 dollars better than alot of the other helmets out there (hjc, kbc, scorpion, etc).
Agree, For the price i think Scorpion and KBC make great helmets that definitely compete with the higher brands.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #49
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
helios-im not calling HJC cheap. they are a little heavier than others and that in my opinion is what you get for the money. if it is snell approved it meets and exceeds their standards while others like my old shark were only DOT does not mean that they wouldnt meet the standards of Snell. you are paying the extra money for asthetics, comfort, and ventilation. nothing wrong with HJC though. my friend had one on when he laid his r6 down back in december
I totally agree. Not that it bothered me because I ride HJC, just that sometimes the *notion* that ONLY a more expensive helmet is worth having isn't totally correct. I was disagreeing with your statement "I guess for now a cheap HJC will do" when in actuallity, a cheap HJC is a fine helmet in itself regardless of the price range.

As anyone who knows me can tell you, I've been looking for a good mid-priced helmet almost non-stop since I bought my bike. I've tried KBC, Scorpion, Sparx, Icon and Gmax. But I keep going back to HJC cause they just fit the best, with excellent features for the price.

See here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/hjc/cl-sp/

Quotes:
"We were so impressed with the combination of value and features on the HJC CL-14 helmet that we recently cited it as one of our "Best Motorcycle Products of 2005".

"I'm going to go out on a limb here and say right up front that I think the CL-SP equals or surpasses any helmet I've ever tried at any price level. And believe me, that's a lot of helmets -- with many costing well over five C's."

"Comparing the inside of the CL-SP with any other helmet on the market demonstrates that there probably isn't a better looking liner anywhere. It's much better than most or all of the high-zoot helmets we've tried."

"We continue to be amazed at the products that HJC is turning out. It's no wonder they're the biggest selling brand in the U.S.A. My feeling is that the CL-SP has higher quality and works better than the vast majority of helmets we've tried."

All good info, but in the end, they're all someone else's opinions and you have to go with what works best for you.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #50
switch
two fifty

Trackdays: 10+

keep us posted on how this turns out.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #51
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!-SOLD
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more sold

so you read the thread posted from SNELL and still question what to do.

just slap the dude back. nad be done w/ it.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #52
sbiker21
scuttlefish

Bike(s):
2008 sv650sf

lol racer x. i will take that into consideration if things dont go the way i think they should
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #53
Jayabusa
Jay

Bike(s):
04' Hayabusa
KTM 300XC
Mountain Bike
Corvette
Bayliner 19'

I'd make 'em buy me a new bike!

Clumsy Bishes!!!

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I go out and buy something...
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #54
nactx86

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2013 CRF 450R FOR SALE
06 GSXR 600 Sold
07 DRZ 400 SM Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by del240z View Post
2 feet!!!? Are you cereal?

I've had some of my helmets fall off my bike onto the concrete and still hold up. Your helmets fine bro.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSurgeD View Post
i use the same helmet since i first got into stunt riding...it has little cracks all over it

but thats for lots...i do have a new lid with no flaws
i just skimmed thru the thread, and im not trying to knock the stunters, but it seemed like they sided with your lid being fine...but falling off a circle in a lot is a little different from highsiding at triple digits.... just my thoughts

from 2 feet on carpet, its probably fine if u dont see any visual damage.. ask 07CBR or TheHabernatho 'bout my helmet habits!
...Just think how good all women could of been if would have taken a few days to make them.
nactx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #55
07CBR

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR600, silver
07 CBR600, black (wrecked/sold)
Suzuki DRZ400SM, yellow (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nactx86 View Post
ask 07CBR or TheHabernatho 'bout my helmet habits!
Yeah, but there's no question that yours needs to be replaced since the shell's almost ground through from sliding on the pavement.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #56
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
it took quite a bit of restraint on my behalf not to do that. it sux that the foam cracked from such a short fall but at the same time it wasnt like it just fell. it was as if it was pushed to the ground. the carpet at work isnt thick by any means so it was like it hit concrete. i took it out to the dealership and they agree that it could have happened from falling that short of a distance. im almost tempted to buy a cheap HJC just to ride around with in the mean time.
Maybe I should be more clear. Just a small crack in the paint means very little.
When the foam absorbs an impact, like when your head hits the ground, your head will crush the foam at the same time the shell is protecting the foam. When your head crushes the foam it will leave circular cracks in the paint.
Think of a round object (your head) smashing into foam. The foam will rebound and the dent will be almost unnoticeable. That's why they put the paint on it, the paint will crack, showing where the foam was crushed.

Like I said before, your helmet is OK, if you dropped it from 6 feet onto concrete it would be OK.
As long as the shell is intact and the foam is not crushed, it's ok.

The other thing to consider is age. Polycarbonate and fiberglass (shell amterials) become brittle with age and exposure to sunlight. After 3-5 years you should consider replacing.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #57
KillinTime

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nactx86 View Post
i just skimmed thru the thread, and im not trying to knock the stunters, but it seemed like they sided with your lid being fine...but falling off a circle in a lot is a little different from highsiding at triple digits.... just my thoughts

from 2 feet on carpet, its probably fine if u dont see any visual damage.. ask 07CBR or TheHabernatho 'bout my helmet habits!

Triple digits? Who ride's that fast?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #58
sbiker21
scuttlefish

Bike(s):
2008 sv650sf

looks like i will be riding again as soon as friday. against my better judgment i settled for splitting the cost of the Shark helmet. So he gave me/ put 175 towards the new HJC IS-16 MC-5 that i bought.

after my previous comments i started to do some research on the HJC and found them to be a fairly good helmet. the thing that i liked most about this one was the sunglass lens that slides down...no more sunglasses for me.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:37 AM   #59
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
HJC's are good helmets. If he paid half at $175, you could have pretty much gotten a brand new Arai RX-7 though.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #60
sbiker21
scuttlefish

Bike(s):
2008 sv650sf

http://www.hjc-helmets.com/product/SUL582951-ATT.html

that is the best pic i can find of it...oh well time for bed