MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

My Point of View

So Easter weekend brings my first Endurance race. Not really nervous but anxious. And then my teamates tell me 10 minutes before start that i drew the first stint. I was actually excited to get out there. Got a pretty decent launch then came the cluster in turn 1. Isn't TWS (Texas World Speedway) notorious for turn 1 crashes? Well we all made it out. Overall it was a pretty decent day for racing. The weather held up and we finished without incident. well almost,
I did get hit by a bike in turn 3 as I made a pass. I stayed up I think he went off into the grass SORRY! And then I was pushing as I was workin on turn 8A and couldnt quit make the turn so I cut across the grass and jumped the ditch (reminded me of Isle of Man I watched on Friday) and got back on track with out losing position. Overall I learned alot from yesterday.

I want to say thanks to my teamates and 2 crew chiefs for all their support and help. Linz as always you gave me some knowledge and I found in turn 1. 170 MPH on a stock Gixxer. WHOO HOO! ( ok not really) but I did begin to see as people say in turn 1. Yes it's scary as grow some nuts and don't brake. Thats all I am going to say

While I have a long way to go this racing bit is helping out and such a blast.

Again just my point of view and I am not paid by CMRA, but all you trackkies need to experience racing. It is a different mentality and the rush is incredible. I actually think you learn more from endurance racing than sprint racing. I am a novice racer gridding up and mixing it up with experts, record holders at that. The experience of 45-60 min 'sessions' is not easily measured. (isn't this one of the reasons Buck's days are so awesome-longer sessions)

So here is my summary of TWS (Texas World Speedway) and my first endurance race

6 hours of racing= 280 bux (split four ways)
gas to and fro plus racing TWS (Texas World Speedway)=60 bux
the seat time=priceless

See you guys at Hallett!!!!
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old black mans point of view of Michael Brown shooting WbDDoT Off Topic 31 11-26-2014 07:51 PM
A view from the other side bayou General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 06-02-2012 07:19 PM
View All Bevo Forum Updates & Feedback 8 02-09-2011 06:26 AM
American autos / another point of view navigator Off Topic 161 12-13-2008 08:58 PM
how we view mh soap4life Off Topic 21 07-03-2007 08:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Props to you for having the cojones to do that. And all you other racers too!

I never could talk myself into it and now that I'm too old I'm grateful for trackdays, as a way to experience the track without the pressure to ride at the limit.

You and all the others have my respect.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Experience: 10+ years

Dean... just wait until you're in a field of 60 bikes, and starting from the 2nd or 3rd row!

Hands down, you get more band for your buck with endurance racing.

Although Hallet is a -of-a drive... it's well worth it. Take advantage of the trackday prior to the endurance!
Old 04-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
So Easter weekend brings my first Endurance race. Not really nervous but anxious. And then my teamates tell me 10 minutes before start that i drew the first stint. I was actually excited to get out there. Got a pretty decent launch then came the cluster in turn 1. Isn't TWS (Texas World Speedway) notorious for turn 1 crashes? Well we all made it out. Overall it was a pretty decent day for racing. The weather held up and we finished without incident. well almost,
I did get hit by a bike in turn 3 as I made a pass. I stayed up I think he went off into the grass SORRY! And then I was pushing as I was workin on turn 8A and couldnt quit make the turn so I cut across the grass and jumped the ditch (reminded me of Isle of Man I watched on Friday) and got back on track with out losing position. Overall I learned alot from yesterday.

I want to say thanks to my teamates and 2 crew chiefs for all their support and help. Linz as always you gave me some knowledge and I found in turn 1. 170 MPH on a stock Gixxer. WHOO HOO! ( ok not really) but I did begin to see as people say in turn 1. Yes it's scary as grow some nuts and don't brake. Thats all I am going to say

While I have a long way to go this racing bit is helping out and such a blast.

Again just my point of view and I am not paid by CMRA, but all you trackkies need to experience racing. It is a different mentality and the rush is incredible. I actually think you learn more from endurance racing than sprint racing. I am a novice racer gridding up and mixing it up with experts, record holders at that. The experience of 45-60 min 'sessions' is not easily measured. (isn't this one of the reasons Buck's days are so awesome-longer sessions)

So here is my summary of TWS (Texas World Speedway) and my first endurance race

6 hours of racing= 280 bux (split four ways)
gas to and fro plus racing TWS (Texas World Speedway)=60 bux
the seat time=priceless

See you guys at Hallett!!!!
sounds like you had a real blast
thanks for sharing and congrats on finishing
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

congrats dean
Old 04-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Dean, couldn't agree with you more. About the learning more thing though, sprinting is a entirely different type of racing because for 4-8 laps, those meatheads are riding for any position and it's a lot more aggressive. In endurance, those guys want to finish so they're more prone to let a pass be planned more carefully and will not take as many chances. You are right though that you can learn a ton in endurance, but it's just a different type of racing.

Sounds like you had a blast! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Props to you for having the cojones to do that. And all you other racers too!

I never could talk myself into it and now that I'm too old I'm grateful for trackdays, as a way to experience the track without the pressure to ride at the limit.

You and all the others have my respect.
I don't know how old you are, but my endurance teammate is in his 60's and he runs 1:54's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on a 600RR...

I can also think of another rider on MH that is "seasoned" and just got his license this year...

Advertisement