MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #21
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
JDub,
I have a terrible habit of turning in too early on a lot of turns. Turn 3, for example, turn 9 too... And I continue to take too much speed into 13, and then I blow 14 and 15 thus delaying getting on the throttle for the front straight. If I could clean up those lines, it would be worth at LEAST a second and probably a lot more.
i like using the yellow line for reference on turn 1. the rest of the turns i just kinda go with the flow in my head. i play a lot of racing games and i think that has helped me form a mental racing line in my head. for real though....
i think this makes him look human. you always get people thinking they soooooo perfect, well your not. at least Obama was cool enough to be himself. thats why i look up to him, he's like an average black male but with intelligence. -Actual Quote from a Barack Obama supporter
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rider hit by other rider - Video Inside Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 07-31-2012 03:42 PM
New Rider Debut Video morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 05-28-2011 04:28 PM
The Good rider thread and the BS Ulric Off Topic 24 10-09-2009 03:32 PM
What makes a GOOD Street Rider? Ulric General Discussion (Moto Related) 81 10-09-2009 12:50 PM
rider needs a few good prayers matt440rev General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 04-05-2008 11:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #22
maxgs

Member Garage

I like my turn one line. It's quite fast. I catch a lot of people up who go wide. Meyers tells me that he rides it as close as he can. None of that exaggerated out to the box stuff. That's a line for really fast, heavy cars.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #23
Jetkillr

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

Quote:
I like my turn one line. It's quite fast. I catch a lot of people up who go wide. Meyers tells me that he rides it as close as he can. None of that exaggerated out to the box stuff. That's a line for really fast, heavy cars.

hmmm maybe something to try next time
i think this makes him look human. you always get people thinking they soooooo perfect, well your not. at least Obama was cool enough to be himself. thats why i look up to him, he's like an average black male but with intelligence. -Actual Quote from a Barack Obama supporter
Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #24
JDUB

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR-600 SOLD
2006 GSXR-1000 TrackWhore SOLD
HD 93 FLFTS Custom SOLD
HD 09 FXDC (KIA) :(
HD 2015 FLHX-S

Quote:
JDub,
I have a terrible habit of turning in too early on a lot of turns. Turn 3, for example, turn 9 too... And I continue to take too much speed into 13, and then I blow 14 and 15 thus delaying getting on the throttle for the front straight. If I could clean up those lines, it would be worth at LEAST a second and probably a lot more.
I purchased new suspension this year and now find myself trying to learn virtually a new bike. I have race tech internals in the front and Penske in the rear and now find myself entering the turns early too ( the bike is quicker then me now) . I did notice that once you had a clean track (laps two and three on this vid) your times were consistent and thatís what Iím hoping to duplicate . Saw a line or two in the back section that I think I will try also, it appeared to flow. Good vid, and canít wait to get out there, see ya on the track!

I like my women like I like my tires...HOT and STICKY!
JDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #25
Jetkillr

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUB View Post
I purchased new suspension this year and now find myself trying to learn virtually a new bike. I have race tech internals in the front and Penske in the rear and now find myself entering the turns early too ( the bike is quicker then me now) . I did notice that once you had a clean track (laps two and three on this vid) your times were consistent and thatís what Iím hoping to duplicate . Saw a line or two in the back section that I think I will try also, it appeared to flow. Good vid, and canít wait to get out there, see ya on the track!
wish i had a clean track
Old 04-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #26
maxgs

Member Garage

The big eye opener is coming out of the carousel all the way to turn 13. I shift to 3rd going into turn 12 for some stupid reason. Next time I'll carry 2nd all the way to 13. By itself, that's going to make a big difference.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #27
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
The big eye opener is coming out of the carousel all the way to turn 13. I shift to 3rd going into turn 12 for some stupid reason. Next time I'll carry 2nd all the way to 13. By itself, that's going to make a big difference.
You must be right on track then about your drive onto the front straight Curt. Thats why i was asking about the speedo on the straight, b/c i know how strong that bike is and how fast you were mph'ing at MSRH even without the banking and real estate. Good diagnosis.
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #28
maxgs

Member Garage

I'm actually just referring to the section from the carousel to turn 13. I already downshift to 2nd on the entry to 13. There's just no reason to ever be in 3rd gear there. My MPH on the front straight is down a bit because I continue to blow 13/14/15. I'm already in second coming out of 15. Best ever is like 153. All this stuff about 175 on the front straight is bullshit. I could see a great rider on good equipment MAYBE getting 10 mph more, i.e. 163. But more than that, no way. People re-gear their bikes and the speedos are so far off, it's laughable.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #29
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Quote:
I'm actually just referring to the section from the carousel to turn 13. I already downshift to 2nd on the entry to 13. There's just no reason to ever be in 3rd gear there. My MPH on the front straight is down a bit because I continue to blow 13/14/15. I'm already in second coming out of 15. Best ever is like 153. All this stuff about 175 on the front straight is bullshit. I could see a great rider on good equipment MAYBE getting 10 mph more, i.e. 163. But more than that, no way. People re-gear their bikes and the speedos are so far off, it's laughable.
Totally agreed. We had that discussion before remember.

Last year, GPS top speed read out on my lap timer at TWS (Texas World Speedway) fastest was 139mph on my old R6. What really suprised me was yesterday, same lap timer w/ same GPS top speed read out but on the new 750, a slew of 150's and 151's and a best of 153 mph as of last Sunday.

And now drum roll please........................AND DIDNT RUN A SECOND FASTER THAN LAST YEAR. lol, ouch!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #30
maxgs

Member Garage

So what were you running out there?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #31
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Quote:
So what were you running out there?
NO Curt, dont make me do it! LOL, Just remember, the one thing i do well is go fast in straight lines, its all this turning, slowing, & hanging off you all do that complicates matters *Curt will understand*

Popo, wish you were riding friday we would get more video and watch your progress in these things.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #32
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Feedback Rating: (3)

Quote:
Nice video setup, I like it.

@ 3:12 on your video, that seemed kinda unpredictable... glad there wasn't someone setting up to pass the both of ya'll on the outside.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #33
maxgs

Member Garage

Hmmm. At 3:12 in my video I'm on the front straight with nobody around. Check the time code again, I'm interested in what you saw. Oh wait, I see it. That wasn't even close. Welcome to the advanced run group.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #34
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Hmmm. At 3:12 in my video I'm on the front straight with nobody around. Check the time code again, I'm interested in what you saw. Oh wait, I see it. That wasn't even close. Welcome to the advanced run group.
Curt, just an FYI here, but "Firemalt" is a long time racer and fast dude with years of experience instructing too. I think he was just making an observation of the potential for an issue, he's got a ton of experience in the "advanced" group.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #35
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:

he's not talking about how close you came to the rider in front of you...

it pretty much looks like you we're lined up to pass the rider in front of you on the left, but as you closed you quickly changed your line to pass the rider in front of you on the right...

had there been another racer lined up to pass both of you on the right that could have been bad...

best practice is to keep your lines smooth and predictable... that's all he's saying...

check the sarcasm too max... not cool... we all enjoy the same sport... firemalt was being constructive and is not by any means a noob...
Old 04-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #36
maxgs

Member Garage

It wasn't meant as sarcasm. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #37
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post

Popo, wish you were riding friday we would get more video and watch your progress in these things.

I kinda wish I was too, but I committed to cornerwork over a month ago.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #38
Ronnie H.
LSTD Mafioso

Bike(s):
02 CRF450, 03 YZ250F, 04 CRF50, 08 Duc 1098, 10 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

TWS (Texas World Speedway) rule #1 - Stay on the gas across the transition from the banking to Turn 1! It's the throttle that stabilizes the bike.

TWS (Texas World Speedway) rule #2 - Don't run off the outside of Turn 1!

And you're turning in way too early for Turn 13. But overall, you seem pretty smooth with lots of potential. Shoot me an email if you make an LSTD date, I'd enjoy riding with you and trading riding information.
Ronnie H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #39
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie H. View Post
TWS (Texas World Speedway) rule #1 - Stay on the gas across the transition from the banking to Turn 1! It's the throttle that stabilizes the bike.

TWS (Texas World Speedway) rule #2 - Don't run off the outside of Turn 1!

And you're turning in way too early for Turn 13. But overall, you seem pretty smooth with lots of potential. Shoot me an email if you make an LSTD date, I'd enjoy riding with you and trading riding information.
uh.....who was this directed at?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #40
Ronnie H.
LSTD Mafioso

Bike(s):
02 CRF450, 03 YZ250F, 04 CRF50, 08 Duc 1098, 10 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
uh.....who was this directed at?
It was typed after watching MaxG's video, then I watch yours again...and the comments/suggestions apply to both.

Both riders are pretty smooth. Po-po seems to do more "searching" with the throttle, this is usually due to an inadequate visual field.

If you guys are going to TWS (Texas World Speedway) this Friday, just stick around after the morning rider's meeting. I'd be glad to chat if you're receptive.
Ronnie H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement