Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
video....it does a rider good

Got to borrow Brian F's camera at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on sunday, and was able to see just how crossed up I really am. If a picture is worth 1k words.....video is worth 10k cuz this tells me a shitload more than any still ever has.

A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rider hit by other rider - Video Inside Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 07-31-2012 03:42 PM
New Rider Debut Video morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 05-28-2011 04:28 PM
The Good rider thread and the BS Ulric Off Topic 24 10-09-2009 03:32 PM
What makes a GOOD Street Rider? Ulric General Discussion (Moto Related) 81 10-09-2009 12:50 PM
rider needs a few good prayers matt440rev General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 04-05-2008 11:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
you may have heard this before... get off the bike more! i am able to give this advice becuase when i ask the instructors what they think,t hey tell me the same fkn thing! you're getting your off, but your head is still in line with the bike. put your face where your mirrors would be and whammo, your body is "off the bike"

looks good though, i love that track

how many trackdays have you done?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Lap2... T3 - turn in later, T4 - drift out farther, T5 - close the gap between the apex, T6 - drift out farther, T7 - turn in later & drift out a little farther, T8 - don't hug the approach, T8a - close the gap between the apex, T9 - apex the turn a little later, T10 - turn in later & drift out farther, T14 & T15 - take a little tighter, Straight - higher on the banking, T1 - stay up on the banking longer, T2 looks good. (souly my opinions...)

And relax... you look stiff on the bike, and it looks like you're moving so much, it's causing the bike itself to shift around prior to entering the turns.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
yeah, what he said.

You could cary alot more speed if you used a little more of the track.
I agree, you look a little tense. Gotta relax and get loosy goosy baby.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
All things I now know. Pictures of me don't accurately show just how crossed up I am. Now I know. That was an early-afternoon session. I was actually able to view this footage while at the track (Brian had his laptop) and made some corrections on my position later in the day.

I will say:

1....uh....yea. I need to slow down once and pick a turn in marker. As it is, I think I enter at a different place every time, and I've been working so much on body position (since it so bad) that I haven't taken the time to work on that turn.

3 I just can't seem to turn in later. I always tell myself I'm going to wait.....then I never do.

5-6 (really one turn as far as I'm concerned) I can't for the life of me find a line I like through it. Any line that allows me to go fast through 5 causes me to pucker in 6. Definetily a demon I'll have to chase.

I know I can carry a shitload more speed through 7, but the ripples right before turn in rattle my teeth and I tend to back off. I tried staying inside the ripples, but I don't like it
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I think they call that swiveling around the tank. There should be a triangle of light with your knee out, looking from behind. When ya swivel, you cant get your head out over your hand.

I know, cuz I have struggled tremendously in this area. Then when I thought I had it right, Ty Howard tells me 1/2 an is too much off the seat.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

What camera is that? Brian was talking about buying a POV.1 like mine. Is it that or a go-pro?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blends View Post

how many trackdays have you done?

I think this is day 12? I'm quite possibly the slowest learner on a sportbike.............ever. Every single thing I do right has been a monumental struggle.......straight down to improperly fitting leathers that severely hampered my ability to move around on the bike. This was my first day out for the season, and with my new leathers (that actually fit my fat ) I was able to make more improvement in one day than the previous 10 days combined.

CMRA #302
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
What camera is that? Brian was talking about buying a POV.1 like mine. Is it that or a go-pro?

its a go-pro wide angle. I'm pretty sure he already has a bullet cam from his racecar too.

CMRA #302
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
maxgs

Member Garage

The video looks so smooth. I seem to transmit every bump and vibration in the road. Hmmmm..... maybe I need to rethink my mount. Either than, or back off on the front suspension. It seemed really harsh and bumpy out there.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
Brian f.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Popo nailed it Curt. I still hadnt gotten around to fixing up the super legit camera stuff to the bike, so i wimped out and took the easy road for now with that little camera and no cords.

It will come Blake. it was the first outing of the season for ya, i'd be stiff out there too. I felt stiff the first few sessions. Ive watched my videos abunch Blake, and im doing the exact opposite. I dont get the lower off much, but like the feeling of leading with the upper off. Might work on my lower body more this friday after seeing my own vids.

Brandt, how did you like Ty's class? He said you were getting the lower body off to much???
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

It's been said before, but come out and ride a mini for a weekend at TMGP. You"ll drop 20 seconds at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and finally feel "comfortable" on a big bike.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
The video looks so smooth. I seem to transmit every bump and vibration in the road. Hmmmm..... maybe I need to rethink my mount. Either than, or back off on the front suspension. It seemed really harsh and bumpy out there.

The camera was mounted directly to one of the stick-on mounts on the nose. Here's a pic for reference. Nothing special about the suspension on this bike: stock suzuki shocks and fork with rebound set for the rider's weight

TWS040509449

CMRA #302
Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #14
JDUB

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR-600 SOLD
2006 GSXR-1000 TrackWhore SOLD
HD 93 FLFTS Custom SOLD
HD 09 FXDC (KIA) :(
HD 2015 FLHX-S

Quote:
good video as usual Curt! Like the lines you ride!

I like my women like I like my tires...HOT and STICKY!
JDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #15
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Curt, arent the speedo reading on the video acquired from GPS for your data acquisition or by some other method??? Somethings got me scratching my head
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #16
Falkryte
SBN Vag Inspector

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
ninja 650r
ttr 125
crf50
tarded450

almost fasht
Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #17
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkryte View Post
almost fasht
almost!

CMRA #302
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #18
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
Curt, arent the speedo reading on the video acquired from GPS for your data acquisition or by some other method??? Somethings got me scratching my head
Yes, all the data comes from the G2X. I made that overlay from a picture of my cluster. The trackvision software allows you to display the data using a variety of widgets, so why not as the dash, right??
Old 04-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUB View Post
good video as usual Curt! Like the lines you ride!
JDub,
I have a terrible habit of turning in too early on a lot of turns. Turn 3, for example, turn 9 too... And I continue to take too much speed into 13, and then I blow 14 and 15 thus delaying getting on the throttle for the front straight. If I could clean up those lines, it would be worth at LEAST a second and probably a lot more.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

one day imma be takin a video of curt trying to get away
i think this makes him look human. you always get people thinking they soooooo perfect, well your not. at least Obama was cool enough to be himself. thats why i look up to him, he's like an average black male but with intelligence. -Actual Quote from a Barack Obama supporter
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement