MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: What to do?
Just hit the car and take it like a man... 26 32.50%
Jump and pull a superman and pray for a safe landing.. 54 67.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #41
Unleaded_Buell
Long Stroke; Low RPM

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Buell XB9

Member Garage

I can slow from 50 to 40 in the time it takes to think "this is gonna hurt" because I have the brake and swerve response pre-wired and ready to go. Throw a jump in there and I would need enough time to start worrying about what my wife might find when she gets my clothes together for the hospital.

If I pulled off the jump, and did it deliberately, I would be certain I could have avoided the car. I'd rather go into the car on the brakes and with some degree of control so I can aim for the hood or trunk where I have a better chance of being thrown over.

Timidi mater non flet.
Unleaded_Buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accident- Not at Fault. Need advice! D-Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 05-10-2013 04:26 PM
Do you believe in this theory? Lucar Off Topic 18 02-13-2012 10:15 AM
Bike Accident advice (w/pics!) IllSam09 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-22-2011 12:48 PM
Need some car accident/insurance advice!!! chum600 Car Forum 3 09-25-2009 07:17 PM
Theory of Everything? ArturoC Off Topic 25 11-18-2007 01:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #42
bentgixxer

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
I has no bike :(
'14 Polaris 550 touring

Send a message via Yahoo to bentgixxer
this guy did the flight over a truck, survived, but wasnt pretty.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7645
We'll call it Corpsefish and Horsenuts.
bentgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #43
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
If you are going at a high rate of speed and they pull out fast enough... I unno.. I THINK I could leap off the bike within a second or so.... I could be wrong tho.
Been there.

Totalled 2 bikes in the same manner. Cage turned left in front of me at an intersection (i had right of way both times). First time was at a slower speed (35ish). Front wheel of the bike hit the rear wheel of the car so solidly, that the bike catapulted me over the car. I was lucky not to go into the side.
The second crash (being very familiar feeling in my head) gave me even less time to react, and was at a higher speed (45ish). I went to grab brakes, but knew there was no time for them to do any good. The onoly insticnt(reflex) I had was to jump. There wasnt enough time for me to jump higher enought to clear the bike. My left leg caught on the windscreen and flipped me 3 or 4 times before I landed in the street (on my lid). This time though, the bike had become one with the car. The bike had come to a dead stop buried deep into the front quaterpanel of the car. I would have gone right into the controls of the bike, and probably had a secondary impact with the car. So in that case, it was good that I jumped.

Dont know if it should be something on your mind, cause I dont think you could react fast enough. My body and brain just seemed to recognize the siutation, and told the muscles to jump. It just happened.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #44
cj_sandman
custom user title!!

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600 F4i
'99 FXST

I'm not 100% sure how I would jump/pull a superman type thing but I would most certainly opt for trying that instead of plowing my body into the car.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #45
El-Diablo
Slave to the Man

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZX-14

Like Coop, I've had an accident like this.

I had someone pull out in front of me while I was doing about 40mph. I tried to aviod the collision but ran straight into the front quarter panel.

Honestly, I don't know if I tried to jump or just seperate from the bike but I ended up over her hood and on my back. I'm not sure if I hit my controls or her hood, but I ended up with a compound fracture of my right leg. Broken in 7 places total, plus a body full of briuses and rash.

I purposely never tried to lowside because a good frined of mind did that and ended up underneath the vehicle and died.
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #46
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

If you have to stop and think, how to react... you need to practice more.

The more time/distance you have to scrub speed the better... X- to 0 in 1 second is going to hurt more than x to 0 in 3...if impact is a given, I don't see a lot wrong with trying to jump at the moment of impact... provided it appears you have clearance. (Ie, jumping when your impacting a semi, prolly not a good idea).

If someone wants to spend the google time, I think there were some studies/experiments in regards to this, though the idea/concept was an attempt to survive a head on collision with a oncoming auto/etc.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #47
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
if you didn't see the potential hazard of the car before it turned, you were going too fast.

always ditch the bike, it becomes sharp and heavy objects that can hurt you more then protect you.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #48
kingralphthe3rd
larry's fan club manager

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 1K (SOLD!!) 08 GSXR 750 & 07 DIZZER 400, 09 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew View Post
i dont think #2 is an option

if u have enough time to setup and JUMP you have enough time to maneuver i think
i agree
Old 04-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #49
vito_8989
Stranger Danger

There is a video in youtube of guy that ran into a back of a semi and got his head stuck and survived. They are pictures not an actual video.
vito_8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #50
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
There is a video in youtube of guy that ran into a back of a semi and got his head stuck and survived. They are pictures not an actual video.
I only know of one such accident with pics, and the guy did not live.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #51
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

tuck and roll
Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 AM   #52
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

In ABS I trust
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #53
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Jump or Lay the bike down and power slid under the car... ER Doc I know told me that was the safer than hitting the car. ? Who knows.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #54
JRxGRUBZx

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
What would be better to do?

Say you were going down a road at speed 30-70mph, and a car suddenly pulls out in front of you and you only have time to do 2 things.

1. Hit the car while on the bike, or

2. Jump off the bike trying to make it over the car and pray for a "safe" landing on the other side...

What would be better? Is option 2 even FEASIBLE?

I was pondering this while riding some back roads last friday...
if it were me i would stay on until the last second and super man dat hoe right over the car into a tuck and roll ; bounce up and say ..IM OK.
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #55
JRxGRUBZx

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
I only know of one such accident with pics, and the guy did not live.
i agree there is noway someone can get their head lodged into a steel truck without breaking a neck on impact.
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #56
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxGRUBZx View Post
i agree there is noway someone can get their head lodged into a steel truck without breaking a neck on impact.
If your head stops suddenly from a high rate of speed your brain is going to crash into your skull and cause death
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #57
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
Been there.

Totalled 2 bikes in the same manner. Cage turned left in front of me at an intersection (i had right of way both times). First time was at a slower speed (35ish). Front wheel of the bike hit the rear wheel of the car so solidly, that the bike catapulted me over the car. I was lucky not to go into the side.
The second crash (being very familiar feeling in my head) gave me even less time to react, and was at a higher speed (45ish). I went to grab brakes, but knew there was no time for them to do any good. The onoly insticnt(reflex) I had was to jump. There wasnt enough time for me to jump higher enought to clear the bike. My left leg caught on the windscreen and flipped me 3 or 4 times before I landed in the street (on my lid). This time though, the bike had become one with the car. The bike had come to a dead stop buried deep into the front quaterpanel of the car. I would have gone right into the controls of the bike, and probably had a secondary impact with the car. So in that case, it was good that I jumped.

Dont know if it should be something on your mind, cause I dont think you could react fast enough. My body and brain just seemed to recognize the siutation, and told the muscles to jump. It just happened.
Been there

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Diablo View Post
Like Coop, I've had an accident like this.

I had someone pull out in front of me while I was doing about 40mph. I tried to aviod the collision but ran straight into the front quarter panel.

Honestly, I don't know if I tried to jump or just seperate from the bike but I ended up over her hood and on my back. I'm not sure if I hit my controls or her hood, but I ended up with a compound fracture of my right leg. Broken in 7 places total, plus a body full of briuses and rash.

I purposely never tried to lowside because a good frined of mind did that and ended up underneath the vehicle and died.
Done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
if you didn't see the potential hazard of the car before it turned, you were going too fast.

always ditch the bike, it becomes sharp and heavy objects that can hurt you more then protect you.
In my instance the car was blocking the interesection to make a left, but hidden behind a van in a left turn lane. Just as I entered the intersection she decided to pull out just a bit farther (into my lane) to make her left. I smashed her quarterpanel. Nothing I could do about it. Was going the speed limit and had the right of way. I supermaned over the hood, and rolled. Got right back up, and started yelling at her. She was crying at the end of it. Bike had minimal damage, and I walked away.

Superman FTW!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #58
BoLtz
In a (Franken) kinda way

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
05 r6
03'XR50-88
03'XR50
08 rr

gogo gadget jetpack!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #59
MACK
I'm voice activated

Bike(s):
'03 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade
'03 Yamaha Zuma 50
'03 Hoe owne 24...biach
and your maum'z!!!

Member Garage

Cool

Bail !!!*
* is not a term only used in degrading women, here it is used to describe good wholesome law abiding, upstanding citizens.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #60
mammothmc

thinking you have time to bail is just silly.....
If you go planning on doing a superman & ignore the brakes because you're tring to preparing to launch, you more than likely end up hitting the car anyway but at full ramming speed.

You'd be better off having the skills to scrub the absolute most speed possible with brakes because you've practiced it enough that you don't panic. Even when the bike does hit the car, it has a lot of give as well. Its going to bleed off some more speed as the wheel & forks etc start to bend absorbing some of the impact.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement