MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #161
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Amen Cali. Learning to read new roads is a skill a lot of people don't have because they have always followed or stuck to roads they think they know.

As good a rider as my buddy Pigpen was, he absolutely hated to lead, because he always had trouble setting his corner speeds... one of my other riding buddies is the same way. The biggest single problem with that is if the leader messes up then the follower is in a BIND.

I think it is exactly what you said, blind confidence. Hoping the next corner and road hasn't changed from what they expect it to be.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"

Last edited by texlurch; 04-06-2009 at 10:19 PM.
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fckin fck fck's MudBug Off Topic 43 02-27-2009 09:01 AM
fck MudBug Off Topic 19 12-27-2008 11:25 PM
fck banks! MudBug Off Topic 23 11-17-2008 02:00 PM
Fck this!! I'm out.... Los Off Topic 27 07-06-2006 11:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #162
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squoddybody View Post
So why is 3090 any worse than any other road? I'm sure as many or more ppl die in Houston traffic (hwys, etc.) than on 3090...

The important thing to remember is that you're the one controlling the bike. The bike's not going to ignore your commands and do what it wants- it's ALL you.
Ill take that bet. I think per the number of riders to crashes and deaths its higher out there than the houston streets.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #163
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
Ill take that bet. I think per the number of riders to crashes and deaths its higher out there than the houston streets.
Where did you see that I was making bets?

This is a search of all the accident threads on MH- go count

On the first page alone they are 9/1 not forest.

follow me on IG - squoddybody

Last edited by Squoddybody; 04-07-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #164
Squoddybody
This is me.

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

^^helps if I add the link!
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/se...4&pp=25&page=2

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...+thread&page=8

This is a good thread for counting last years accidents, too.

follow me on IG - squoddybody

Last edited by Squoddybody; 04-07-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #165
cdill35

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
The biggest single problem with that is if the leader messes up then the follower is in a BIND.
Good point Jim. Another rule of thumb.."NEVER EVER set your corner entry speed based off the rider in front of you."

A racer/experienced guy may be able to go in at a much higher speed than a newer guy and make the corner. The new guy get's "sucked" in and is over his/her head and cant make it.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #166
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Good point Jim. Another rule of thumb.."NEVER EVER set your corner entry speed based off the rider in front of you."

A racer/experienced guy may be able to go in at a much higher speed than a newer guy and make the corner. The new guy get's "sucked" in and is over his/her head and cant make it.
Man i was at crabb and did this and almost wiped out ; twisties are fun but i learned to just ride them slow and have fun in the lot .
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #167
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxGRUBZx View Post
Man i was at crabb and did this and almost wiped out ; twisties are fun but i learned to just ride them slow and have fun in the lot .
Right?! Some peeps just might get off to that as well. Suckin newer riders in.

Man I cant wait until my motard is street legal. I'll do a Glaveston run on that thing.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #168
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #169
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

I agree. I used to love riding behind Curt. I think watching his lines and technique made me a better rider. The problem is that people think they have to hang with the faster rider/group. I will observe a faster rider as long as he is in sight, but I'm not going in over my head just to hang on his rear tire. I did that a few times and found myself with a deathgrip on the bars. I was WAY out of my comfort zone.

At this point, between many close calls with cagers, and 2 on 3090, I'm not sure I will be back on the street anytime soon. I think I'll be looking for a track bike, and sticking with cages on the roads.....at least for a while.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #170
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
The biggest single problem with that is if the leader messes up then the follower is in a BIND.
I have always told new riders when following to ignore the rider in front of them. In fact, to assume the leader is doing it wrong so that they don't get sucked in. It is part of riding your own ride.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #171
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
I have always told new riders when following to ignore the rider in front of them. In fact, to assume the leader is doing it wrong so that they don't get sucked in. It is part of riding your own ride.
yep and I tell everyone to open up the gaps to 2 secs or better on the curvy roads and ride their own ride

And it all goes in one ear and out the other once they get their adrenaline up.

Trick is, and the hardest part, is the leader has to set the pace at a reasonable speed for the group. Smaller groups with people you know their style are better, but for larger groups you have to slow it down to make it fun and not a stress test for the slower peeps. Even when you split into A B C groups, someone always wants to say or think they are better than they are, and end up over their head. The peer pressure thing again. If you are leading, LEAD. You are the one in front and setting the pace, and have to have some responsibility towards the ones following.

The hardest part of leading a big group is resisting the temptation to up it a bit.. and a little more.. next thing you know you got people in ditches.

And my absolute pet peave is when someone posts up a noob ride, and says it will be a relaxed, normal pace, and then pulls out onto the freeway and pins it at .
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #172
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
After reading all the posts it seems ego has a big part in our riding. We all want to develop our skill and we don't want to appear slow to others. I'm just as guilty so don't get me wrong. We want to go on these group rides and be cool to all the other people. We want to hear "Hey Joe, your pretty nimble on that bike of yours." because our egos demand it. I bring this up because I am starting to believe this is one of the main root causes of the mishaps and accidents out there no matter what road your on. For me this is something that is difficult at times to keep in check. I struggle with it to some degree everytime I swing my leg over the bike. And there are more times than not that we don't even give the possibility of an accident a second thought for days on end. I think we would all be wise and consider more often the risks we take everytime we are on the bike. Even the most restrained riders tend to have accidents that were in no way any fault of their own.

Keep the ego in check where it belongs. And I will try a little harder myself from now on.

Your right on the money, motohouston wouldnt have `1/2 the wreck threads if people would leave the ego at home and just come out and have fun riding at there particular skill level.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #173
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Amen Cali. Learning to read new roads is a skill a lot of people don't have because they have always followed or stuck to roads they think they know.

Unfortunately, Houston isn't exactly the meca of twisty roads for newb's to learn or even think they know the proper skills necessary.
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #174
tarosean

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator04 View Post
Your right on the money, motohouston wouldnt have `1/2 the wreck threads if people would leave the ego at home and just come out and have fun riding at there particular skill level.
and learning on a correct "starter" bike wouldn't hurt either....
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #175
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarosean View Post
Unfortunately, Houston isn't exactly the meca of twisty roads for newb's to learn or even think they know the proper skills necessary.
Well, riding skills are pretty much the same, regardless where or how you apply them. There is a basic skill set required to make a bike turn, whether you learn in texas or tennessee or whereever, they are still the same.

I've ridden in CA, CO, NM, IL, KY, TN, UT, and Japan... there are good, fun roads everywhere.

Learning the roads and what to watch for as indicators of what is around the next corner or hill is the same, no matter where you are riding. Countrysides vary, but the inputs and keys are the same.. if you know what you are looking for.

There are actually some good roads around, some better than others.... that is the basic joy of the sport; they are all different, but you approach them the same way regardless...

This of course applies to roads not including 610 and BW8...
Old 04-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #176
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

Quote:
yep and I tell everyone to open up the gaps to 2 secs or better on the curvy roads and ride their own ride

And it all goes in one ear and out the other once they get their adrenaline up.

Trick is, and the hardest part, is the leader has to set the pace at a reasonable speed for the group. Smaller groups with people you know their style are better, but for larger groups you have to slow it down to make it fun and not a stress test for the slower peeps. Even when you split into A B C groups, someone always wants to say or think they are better than they are, and end up over their head. The peer pressure thing again. If you are leading, LEAD. You are the one in front and setting the pace, and have to have some responsibility towards the ones following.

The hardest part of leading a big group is resisting the temptation to up it a bit.. and a little more.. next thing you know you got people in ditches.

And my absolute pet peave is when someone posts up a noob ride, and says it will be a relaxed, normal pace, and then pulls out onto the freeway and pins it at .
+1 to all of the above but I would suggest more than a 2 sec gap so the follower(s) can concentrate on the road and controlling their machine and not focus on the bike/brake lights ahead of them.

Being a Leader means accessing the group as a whole and setting The Pace accordingly.

If you really want a GROUP ride then it means controlling that right wrist - which seems to be a problem for a number of this forum's members.

As Pogo once said: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #177
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

here is my .02$. i found these forest gnomes last summer. i was "ready to ride!" then hooligan barked at me telling me to take it easy and not to be cocky. i just wanted to ride twisty roads. i never had before. that day was a big group. i found out real quick it was way more technical than i thaught. it was a real challenge for me that day and it wore me out. i have been blessed by all of these people i have been surrounded by. cali and navigator specifically. these two guys have given me all the best instruction and advice. here now i ride with the fast pack. i also realize i have years of learning and experience still to gain. i will go to the track and i will pay attention and i will commit. i will ride 3090 many more times. i will ride it how ever i ride it. but i will ride it. i love it out there. we all do. i may not be makin bubble gum there for a while but one day i will. i want to hone my skills so that i can be a leader of noobs. it's all of our's responsibility to be leaders of people. whether your in front middle or back, like cdill said in another thread, "if youre not part of the solution then your part of the problem". there will still be those lost sheep. one buys a new bike everyday. my attitude has changed since i saw dave leaving us. since maxg's and mine conversation at lunch yesterday. lets influence others to do all we can to stay alive out there. no matter the road. or track. sam houston national forest ftw! lets find opportunity in this tragedy.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #178
philipx
randomly chaotic

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
GL1800A4

The whole "ride your own ride" concept is why I stopped riding in organized groups. Unless the group is people whose skill is within a close distance to each other, RYOR is just bull. And it's not just skill, is how you feel that day - maybe you want to tear the road, maybe you want to smell the cow pies...

On rides I've been on, I've had people in front of me not being fast enough, or braking at the wrong times. That annoyed me. I've had people behind me that were faster than I was and I was obviously holding them back. That put a lot of pressure on me. The leader was also under pressure to pick a pace that would suit the slowest rider. And that just plainly sucked. I don't need triple digits, but doing the speed limit on a highway boring as , is not what I'm looking for.

I really really really enjoy being with a group once you reach a destination, or even a midpoint, but I prefer to ride solo, and truly ride my own ride.

Nowhere is this more manifest than on the forest ride.
philipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #179
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

Granted Skill Set and knowing your limitations, bikes limitation and the roads and weathers limitation are very important to avoiding a disaster.

But if you really really think your good your setting your self up for disaster.

Accidents will happen, you can only reduce your chances of having one.

(Thats not the same as thinking you are better than some others at the sport, we all have a different skill set)

But when you are certain you have it mastered be prepared to be bit by the sport.

For those of you are sure your very good - do any of you have a sponser - ride professionally for a living? (Just asking not looking for an arguement).
Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #180
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

No one knows it all, and there is always someone better/faster. I try to learn or relearn something everytime I ride, and practice, practice, practice.

Trackdays will teach you the limits of your machine, and better your skills, but the only true way to learn is to ride, and practice.

It was asked in another thread, how many people actually take the time to practice... especially braking. In turns, panic, emergency.

Thats why I don't like riding the same roads all the time, it breeds complacency.

And if you don't go out on the occasional group ride, you limit yourself to meeting people to ride with. Riding with someone and seeing how they react, can tell you everything you need to know as to whether you want them in front or behind you.

Advertisement