MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #101
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
That being said, I am a firm believer in sharing what little I know in the hopes of getting someone to better themselves. Doesn't bother me a bit to go slow and chill if I can make someone elses ride more fun.
+1

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fckin fck fck's MudBug Off Topic 43 02-27-2009 09:01 AM
fck MudBug Off Topic 19 12-27-2008 11:25 PM
fck banks! MudBug Off Topic 23 11-17-2008 02:00 PM
Fck this!! I'm out.... Los Off Topic 27 07-06-2006 11:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #102
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I, respectfully, disagree. It all hinges on the skill set of teh rider.
Quote:
It falls on deaf ears man. Noone will even touch on the point. Its like everyone is in denial.
I've argued your point plenty of times in the past, especially when I first joined MH trying to share my opinion based on my experience. Sometimes I feel the same as you, and kinda gave up, but it's good to keep making that point.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #103
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
I've been riding street bikes off and on since the late 70's. I've done some stupid stuff, and been down more than once due to it. I like attacking a stretch of backroad as much as the next guy.

I've also learned that no matter how skilled you are, or how many track days you've done, or how many times you have run that road, all you control is yourself and your bike (some better than others).

Like Curt says, who got the trophy? Anything more than 60-70% or your ability and the road space is pushing it. I don't give a who you are. Sooner or later, you'll mess up. And you can't blame the road or your buddies or the buzzard, it is in your hands. MY problem is who else you take out when you go?

Another reason why I like small groups that I know.

That being said, it is a free country, even though we do have laws. We choose to break them or not, but remember you don't have the right to choose for anyone else.

Empty backroads with good sightlines, have at it and enjoy, take YOUR chances. Well traveled roads with blind curves and driveways and traffic, pull it back a notch and save it for the next track day. Is it really that much to ask? Even at that, play in the curves, chill on the straights. Not that hard to do is it, really? Anyone can haul in a straight, but then you are left with deciding how much to slow for the next curve or obstacle.

Just some rambling from one of the old farts.... take it as you will.
Many of us were young and stupid. Myself included (to an extent ). It's great to have these internet forums where many riders can learn from the experience of other senior riders. We didn't have that benefit back in the 80's. With that said, I really hope the younger (or newer) riders take head of your advise, and think of it before deciding to go fast down a public twisty road (not just 3090). I'm pretty sure the "invincible" mentality amongst younger riders is no different than the same mentality of me and my buddies decades ago.

I've slowed down for many reasons pertaining to safety and experience; but I gotta admit, it's moreso because of my age! I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure at 42, concrete (and even dirt) feels alot harder now than it did when I was 20.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #104
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
very well put. and a top notch guy to ride with.
Yep. he is also one of the few on here that actually practices what he preaches. Quite a few people on here talk about riding safely, but out on the road they don't seem to follow their own advice.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #105
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
I've slowed down for many reasons pertaining to safety and experience; but I gotta admit, it's moreso because of my age! I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure at 42, concrete (and even dirt) feels alot harder now than it did when I was 20.
Ever since Pigpen passed last year, I've slowed down and not even ridden as much as I'd like to. That being said, some is mental, but a lot is just not having time due to other things in life.

There is no substitute for seat time, and trust me, rust does creap in when you don't use those skills!

And I found out a couple years ago, I don't bounce near as well as I used to!
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #106
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go! Ninja Go! View Post
Yep. he is also one of the few on here that actually practices what he preaches. Quite a few people on here talk about riding safely, but out on the road they don't seem to follow their own advice.
thanks... but there is no accounting for stupid buzzards either!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #107
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

I myself will continue to ride 3090/149. Riders are gone but with them in our hearts, they will never be forgotten. I now know that when I ride those roads, it will be slower and wiser. I will take in the scenery and reflect on the memories. I will remember the shared rides with MH peeps as well as the solo rides. I will continue to ride where the fallen left off. It's what they would want us to do.

Never cease but continue
Old 04-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #108
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Absolutley luck plays a huge roll. However, when odds are against us already, it is foolish, IMO, not to better your skills so that the playing field is a bit more level.

Telling people to slow down is not reasonable, it won't work. I have NEVER been successful at approaching someone that rides crazy and say, "Hey! You fkn TOOL! You need to SLOW DOWN or you're gonna hurt yourself or someone else!" People will ride they way that want to ride. Period. However, I have managed work the angle of, "Hey, if you are going to ride that way, might I suggest X, Y and Z so that you have a better chance of not hurting yourself."

Usually X, Y and Z is track days, gear and a pointer or two about blind corners.

I think people are responsible for understanding that they are irresponsible, like myself. I am selfish and inconsiderate. I dont think of my family or anything else when I ride. I know this because I perform self appraisals on myself, something everyone should do.

If I have said it once I have said it 100000 times. Why all teh focus is on riding fast on 3090 is beyond me. I have seen COUNTLESS people crash at WELL UNDER the posted limit. Explain that?
Brandt, we are in agreement. Building better riding skills is imperative to safety whether riding spirited or not. My point is that even the most skilled riders are also relying on luck when riding in a highly spirited manner. There are several riders in recent memory, Coach being one of them, who were very experienced with well above average skills. Yet, something caught these folks out and they are no longer with us.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #109
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Brandt, we are in agreement. Building better riding skills is imperative to safety whether riding spirited or not. My point is that even the most skilled riders are also relying on luck when riding in a highly spirited manner. There are several riders in recent memory, Coach being one of them, who were very experienced with well above average skills. Yet, something caught these folks out and they are no longer with us.

exactly......i agree.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #110
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Cdill, I think the rant was directed at 3090 by the OP since it is a fresh, raw wound today. Time heals all wounds.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #111
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Ever since Pigpen passed last year, I've slowed down and not even ridden as much as I'd like to. That being said, some is mental, but a lot is just not having time due to other things in life.

There is no substitute for seat time, and trust me, rust does creap in when you don't use those skills!

And I found out a couple years ago, I don't bounce near as well as I used to!
and maybe don't heal as fast.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #112
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
Many of us were young and stupid. Myself included (to an extent ). It's great to have these internet forums where many riders can learn from the experience of other senior riders. We didn't have that benefit back in the 80's. With that said, I really hope the younger (or newer) riders take heed of your advise, and think of it before deciding to go fast down a public twisty road (not just 3090). I'm pretty sure the "invincible" mentality amongst younger riders is no different than the same mentality of me and my buddies decades ago.

I wasn't as young as most of the riders on sportbike when I got one. I was stupid and fast bikes makes me feel invincibles. I got lucky. A bit wiser but still stupid at times.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #113
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

The track gives me my fix. I have no desire to haul on the streets anymore, I like to ride wheelies.

My problem is that I get sucked in by peer pressure. Perhaps we should choose our riding partners wisely if you are as succeptible to peer pressure as I am.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #114
JMAC

Bike(s):
Ninja

cdill has valid point, most fall victim to try and keep up with others when thier skills may not permit doing safely. Sometime it is hard to ride your own ride when with a big group of riders, and nobody wants to be or appear to be slower than others. Riding with others of similar skill level is more safe than trying to keep up with faster riders, and more enjoyable. Texlurch has many great points in his posts, food for thought
JMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #115
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
The track gives me my fix. I have no desire to haul on the streets anymore, I like to ride wheelies.

My problem is that I get sucked in by peer pressure. Perhaps we should choose our riding partners wisely if you are as succeptible to peer pressure as I am.

That right there is the hardest part my friend. I am no angel myself, and have those days as well. Usually along the way at some point I sit up and say "whoa dummy!"

No easy fix for that...
Old 04-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #116
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

"Know your bike, know your limits."
Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #117
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

jmac, the hardest part is when you are setting up the group rides. You have to choose at the start who you want along.

If it is come one come all, you HAVE to set some realistic limits on the planned pace for the groups, because all the talks and "ride your own ride" admonishments go out the window when the leaders haul and the rest try to keep up. If the group is constantly speeding/slowing/speeding/slowing trying to keep touch, the leaders are too fast. Nothing worse than being behind the guy that pins it on the straight only to park before the next corner. Or in front of the same guy when he can't stop and overshoots the turn, taking you with.

The flip side is when someone wants to tag along when we are riding a PACE ride, and they get sucked into a corner way too fast for their comfort and it's too late to make the turn. More than once I've told people we are riding at XX speed all day and don't slow for the corners, and the first stop they say "ok, we are going to the back because you guys really DON'T slow for the turns!!!"

Anytime you have more than one rider, you all need to be on the same page for pace and style.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #118
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
If there was a quicker way to get to Yankees I'd go that way.

Until then, unfortunately I have to take 3090.

lol JK
Old 04-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #119
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Nothing wrong with 3090.. it's just asphalt
Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #120
Brandon

Bike(s):
2011 R6
2007 R6 (sold)
1983 XR-250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
If there was a quicker way to get to Yankees I'd go that way.

Until then, unfortunately I have to take 3090.

lol JK
There is a quicker easier way.

Anderson to Carlos

Last edited by Brandon; 04-06-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement