MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #41
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
it doesn't matter which road your on. It's always a risk. so many things play a part in being a motorcycle rider. Skill Level, Weather, Cagers, Other riders, Mother nature! No one can control everything we face on a bike. The only thing we can control is ourselves and how we handle situations. And making good judgement calls.

Just be safe no matter what you do. You never know what will happen ten minuted from now :(
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fckin fck fck's MudBug Off Topic 43 02-27-2009 09:01 AM
fck MudBug Off Topic 19 12-27-2008 11:25 PM
fck banks! MudBug Off Topic 23 11-17-2008 02:00 PM
Fck this!! I'm out.... Los Off Topic 27 07-06-2006 11:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #42
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
I will babysit as much as I have to on any ride... I know, because my friends often forget I can outride them. I normally dont ride at those paces anymore because of the wrecks/situations that occur.

But wrecks will continue to happen. I personally feel everyone on a bike shouldnt ride over the posted speed limit anywhere until they have over 5 years under their belt. Will that happen? Hellsno. Will those 5+ riders still wreck.... U betcha.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #43
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Do we HAVE TO do this thread again??

Same circumstances some of the same characters.

Riding motorcycles is DANGEROUS. On the track, on the freeway, on a backroad, on a 50, ANYWHERE.

If you don't have some expectation people getting hurt or worse, this sport is NOT FOR YOU. Quit about the end result, quit trying to quantify the dangers of backroad vs freeway vs track. IT IS ALL THE SAME DANGER.

Speed + Concrete + Sudden Impact = Bad Things.

Last edited by tiatool; 04-06-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: like was not a good word
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #44
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
That's good to hear. Last time I was with someone that went down and a ambulance was called it was nearly an hour for them to arrive. not to mention the time it takes to get you to a hospital.
Ya sadly I remember those days...

most of the wrecks we experience people wear enough gear and go off the road at a controlled speed and are able to ride their bikes back to Yankees for a truck.

It is sad to see the ambulances pass us or meet us at a gas station when we are filling up.

But you are correct on the time frame to the hospital... and helicopters are not cheap either.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #45
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Ya sadly I remember those days...

most of the wrecks we experience people wear enough gear and go off the road at a controlled speed and are able to ride their bikes back to Yankees for a truck.

It is sad to see the ambulances pass us or meet us at a gas station when we are filling up.

But you are correct on the time frame to the hospital... and helicopters are not cheap either.
I am glad to hear they are staging ambulances out there now. While it's not the city or the county's job to put dedicated medics out there, it sounds like they are going above and beyond to try and save lives.

You can never always rely on life flight. There are times when life-flight is really needed for someone with critical injuries, and life flight isn't available or isn't flying. And there are times where you'll get a 20+ minute ETA for life-flight even in the city.

Last edited by Pyrofallout; 04-06-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #46
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post

Riding motorcycles is DANGEROUS. On the track, on the freeway, on a backroad, on a 50, ANYWHERE.

If you don't have some expectation people getting hurt or worse, this sport is NOT FOR YOU. Quit about the end result, quit trying to quantify the dangers of backroad vs freeway vs track. IT IS ALL THE SAME DANGER.

There are ways to sway the odds a little. IMHO.

And..there are new members who may not have seen this issue beaten to death. So why not rehash it again?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #47
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
There are ways to sway the odds a little. IMHO.

And..there are new members who may not have seen this issue beaten to death. So why not rehash it again?

Ok then.... Carry on. Sorry, I woke up a little grumpy today.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #48
Sl!mP!ckens!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
05 GSX-R 750

Member Garage

Quote:

Good point
Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #49
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
dill's right
He's partially right...

as long as people treat/use the road for more than what it was meant/designed for (ie: Staying within the speed limits) the accidents
will continue.

Skill level can play a part in the risk level, but does not remove the danger.
No one can account for all the possible variables than can impact it. No matter how you play it, there are variables that you cannot counter when speeding, because by doing so.. you remove the one thing that allows you to 'revover'.. time.

Quote:
Danger is danger, but the levels/risks are variable...hence WHY the streets are more dangerous as the track.

Last edited by Ulric; 04-06-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #50
Angamico
Range Target

Bike(s):
YZF600R
TigerEX1200

I have family living on 3090 and spread around some of the local back roads. My children spend weekends out there in the country with their grandfather. He goes out of his way to take dirt roads between relatives' houses to avoid the riders doing "80-90 in 30 mph corners," and I am glad that he does. Every time he looks at my sportbike, the image of a bike recklessly speeding through 3090 is all he sees. Ride at a level of risk that you can accept, but be prepared for the consequences when your actions impact others. How about adding thought of consequences to others when you set your corner entry speed?

It's too bad comments about reckless riding are getting associated with Coach's accident, as it sounds like he was riding responsibly. But, this is the way it always goes with accidents in that area, we are all assumed guilty by association due to the actions of a few. So sad to hear of the incident. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

FM3090 on a cool, starry night in the bed of a pickup driven by an old man cruising at 30 mph is, to me, the way that road was intended to be traveled. Try it some time.
Angamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #51
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
He's partially right...

as long as people treat/use the road for more than what it was meant/designed for (ie: Staying within the speed limits) the accidents
will continue.

Skill level can play a part in the risk level, but does not remove the danger.
No one can account for all the possible variables than can impact it. No matter how you play it, there are variables that you cannot counter when speeding, because by doing so.. you remove the one thing that allows you to 'revover'.. time.

Danger is danger, but the levels/risks are variable...hence WHY the streets are more dangerous as the track.
Ulric has captured the essence of the problem with the way 3090 is ridden. And, y'all know that I am more guilty than most riding 3090 in a highly spirited manner. We can never know what danger lurks in front of us. The faster we ride, the lower the probability we have for correcting for an unforeseen circumstance. Maybe it was dirt on the road, a bit of gravel, or an oil spot. The fact of the matter even for the most experienced track riders among us, we dramatically reduce our ability to make corrections for these circumstances when we ride at those speeds.

I had a good friend recently talk to me after a spirited ride down 3090. He was dragging knee for the first time, something I have yet to do on the street. As he was talking, it occurred to me how lucky he was to have survived. It's more than just skill, folks. It's luck. And, we all know, the house always wins. You simply can't play the odds forever and not have it catch up. At the end of the conversation I asked my friend... "so what did you win?"
Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #52
ChrisGo

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

I feel terrible for everyones loss over dave. I see that alot of people are lashing out in anger over their sadness on here. If I can give one piece of advice it would be to talk to someone about what you are feeling. I have been through what most are experiencing several times and im still relatively young. I can say from personal experience and others experience that holding it in will eventually eat you alive. If anyone needs anything, feel free to shoot me a pm.
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #53
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamico View Post
I have family living on 3090 and spread around some of the local back roads. My children spend weekends out there in the country with their grandfather. He goes out of his way to take dirt roads between relatives' houses to avoid the riders doing "80-90 in 30 mph corners," and I am glad that he does. Every time he looks at my sportbike, the image of a bike recklessly speeding through 3090 is all he sees. Ride at a level of risk that you can accept, but be prepared for the consequences when your actions impact others. How about adding thought of consequences to others when you set your corner entry speed?

It's too bad comments about reckless riding are getting associated with Coach's accident, as it sounds like he was riding responsibly. But, this is the way it always goes with accidents in that area, we are all assumed guilty by association due to the actions of a few. So sad to hear of the incident. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

FM3090 on a cool, starry night in the bed of a pickup driven by an old man cruising at 30 mph is, to me, the way that road was intended to be traveled. Try it some time.
good post, prob. is most only think of themselves over their family...let alone some strangers family that they may impact.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #54
Amanda
Bulletproof

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:

totally agree!

In the end, Nothing good comes from sport bikes. You can just cruise and some jack on a cell hits you. You can ride fast and test limits, eventually...your luck will run out! In the end---> YOUR ultimite decision to get on a bike! I dont have children or a husband....so, the benefit still out weigh my cost.

SIDE NOTE: havin to do with '3090' and nothing but!! Total bull : Last time i rode it, it was myself and two others, going the speed limit, maybe a little under the ENTIRE time. Got pulled over. No ticket (cuz we really were doing NOTHING wrong).... but still bs. Cops need to screw with u guys that ride it like a race track. Ive broken the speed limit plenty of times, but ill admit, im slow on the streets. I have never done more then 50% out there, and I never needed a lesson from the 'j man' on how to get faster on the STREET! Plan to keep it that way too
Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #55
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
It's more than just skill, folks. It's luck. And, we all know, the house always wins. You simply can't play the odds forever and not have it catch up. At the end of the conversation I asked my friend... "so what did you win?"
Absolutley luck plays a huge roll. However, when odds are against us already, it is foolish, IMO, not to better your skills so that the playing field is a bit more level.

Telling people to slow down is not reasonable, it won't work. I have NEVER been successful at approaching someone that rides crazy and say, "Hey! You fkn TOOL! You need to SLOW DOWN or you're gonna hurt yourself or someone else!" People will ride they way that want to ride. Period. However, I have managed work the angle of, "Hey, if you are going to ride that way, might I suggest X, Y and Z so that you have a better chance of not hurting yourself."

Usually X, Y and Z is track days, gear and a pointer or two about blind corners.

I think people are responsible for understanding that they are irresponsible, like myself. I am selfish and inconsiderate. I dont think of my family or anything else when I ride. I know this because I perform self appraisals on myself, something everyone should do.

If I have said it once I have said it 100000 times. Why all teh focus is on riding fast on 3090 is beyond me. I have seen COUNTLESS people crash at WELL UNDER the posted limit. Explain that?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #56
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Or come around headed the other way and either hit you or spook you into a mistake.

Wasn't a couple years back that a very skilled rider killed himself and another rider on Crabb running wide.
Ummmm, he was far from skilled, and not even close to good.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #57
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

RIP

My first ride through the forest with the MH group was handled great.

Tiatool lead the morning meeting, and then we stopped, refueled, and had another meeting before going to 3090. We split into fast, med, slow groups. Anyone who had never ridden 3090 was told that they must go to the slow group, no matter how good of a rider.

TiaTool then went over some of the bad corners and what to look out for on 3090.

During the ride, when I approached one of the slowest corners, I saw TiaTool on the side of the road waiving and telling everyone to slow down for the corner. Almost like a corner worker.

This type of dedication and organization helped greatly, I believe.

I have wrecked on 3090 and the ambulance arrived within 5 minutes of the wreck. The cop arrived before we could dial the police. I felt like I was riding at 50% of my ability, but some times things just happen and you don't handle them the correct way because you only have milliseconds to make your decision.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #58
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
but ill admit, im slow on the streets. I have never done more then 50% out there, and I never needed a lesson from the 'j man' on how to get faster on the STREET! Plan to keep it that way too
Are you serious? Wow. Just wow at that post.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #59
SiG239

Feedback Rating: (7)

all these roads are awesome to ride, but there is just so much negative there on the sides to hit. This event really makes me think about track riding only. The problem is I and probably alot of others say that it will just be a "chill" pace this time but it doesn't end up like that. I am not saying this is what happened yesterday at all, just putting it out there.
SiG239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #60
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Telling people to slow down is not reasonable, it won't work. I have NEVER been successful at approaching someone that rides crazy and say, "Hey! You fkn TOOL! You need to SLOW DOWN or you're gonna hurt yourself or someone else!" People will ride they way that want to ride. Period.
There is ways to fix that. Tickets. Arrests. Jail Time. License Suspension. License Revocation.

Saying people are gonna do what they want and there is no way to stop people from hurting others is not exactly true, take the people whom can't behave and remove them from the equation.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement