MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #181
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRmgm View Post
"We have met the enemy and he is us."
That's pretty much it in a nut shell. +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipx View Post
The whole "ride your own ride" concept is why I stopped riding in organized groups. Unless the group is people whose skill is within a close distance to each other, RYOR is just bull. And it's not just skill, is how you feel that day - maybe you want to tear the road, maybe you want to smell the cow pies...

On rides I've been on, I've had people in front of me not being fast enough, or braking at the wrong times. That annoyed me. I've had people behind me that were faster than I was and I was obviously holding them back. That put a lot of pressure on me. The leader was also under pressure to pick a pace that would suit the slowest rider. And that just plainly sucked. I don't need triple digits, but doing the speed limit on a highway boring as , is not what I'm looking for.

I really really really enjoy being with a group once you reach a destination, or even a midpoint, but I prefer to ride solo, and truly ride my own ride.

Nowhere is this more manifest than on the forest ride.
Ride your own ride is hard to do in a group. Unless you are all the way in the back.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fckin fck fck's MudBug Off Topic 43 02-27-2009 09:01 AM
fck MudBug Off Topic 19 12-27-2008 11:25 PM
fck banks! MudBug Off Topic 23 11-17-2008 02:00 PM
Fck this!! I'm out.... Los Off Topic 27 07-06-2006 11:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #182
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
This thread is still going?

That's cute. Same exact answers and discussions as the last one.

Texlurch, Cdill, GuitarMan, now burnboy have much experience to share through what they have seen and experienced.(i dont mean to take away from others; I would never stop typing names if that were the case)

On that note, experience takes time... Taking corners fast etc can be done relatively quickly but its not just a physical condition that makes it happen. Over time your mind conditions to watch for things around the corners, follow the ourside paint lines to see if the road apex opens up or closes in, know to not pass if there may be a driveway coming up, know to not pass without waiting a few seconds to show courtesy to locals...

I rode a busa on countless forest rides as the noob leader; we had one slide out and three people ride off and come back on. I also told everyone to drop their egos at the door. Did they? Not all, only the smart ones. Last weekend I was on a bike the sportbike community laughs pulling away from bikes built for the track. Did I brag? Nope. I felt like riding that way, that day. I knew the consequences and the opportunity was there for me to ride with others I could trust, so I did.

"Ride your own Ride"..... I dont see the arguement. I'll be damnd if I give a chit what others think about my skill based solely off of speed. Fk off. If someone is pressing you, signal them around. If they are slowing down in the corners, you off, let them speed ahead in the straights; tell your leader of the group later and have everyone discuss it. I am too busy riding my own bike to have to ride yours too.

Add the accidents up all you want in and out of the forest. The numbers are just going to go up. If this community stops going out, the others we come across will continue to crash.

Fact of the matter is there are concerned individuals here that will not leave anyone behind, that for the most part knows those and surrounding roads around the area, that care about safety and have guidelines for gear.

They are called Forest Gnomes.

Im done; no more I can say in this thread. C some of you all on the next ride.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #183
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

A lot of good things have been said in this thread. If it helps even one person it would be considered productive. This incident has hit close to home for me and has made me evaluate the way I ride the last couple of days. I'm done here.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #184
slowblack05
please

Experience: 1-3 months

i love 3090....you cant blame what happens to people on 3090 because of 3090

sorry for the loss, i havn't been on here lately because the website goes to mobile mode and its all jacked up, so i stopped coming over here.

im assuming coach daved passed, i send my condolences.

-J
slowblack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #185
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Great post Matt, I couldn't have said it better myself. I completely agree with this part. . .
Quote:
experience takes time... Taking corners fast etc can be done relatively quickly but its not just a physical condition that makes it happen. Over time your mind conditions to watch for things around the corners, follow the ourside paint lines to see if the road apex opens up or closes in, know to not pass if there may be a driveway coming up, know to not pass without waiting a few seconds to show courtesy to locals...
And
Quote:
"Ride your own Ride"..... I dont see the arguement. I'll be damnd if I give a chit what others think about my skill based solely off of speed. Fk off. If someone is pressing you, signal them around. If they are slowing down in the corners, you off, let them speed ahead in the straights; tell your leader of the group later and have everyone discuss it. I am too busy riding my own bike to have to ride yours too.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #186
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
I have always told new riders when following to ignore the rider in front of them. In fact, to assume the leader is doing it wrong so that they don't get sucked in. It is part of riding your own ride.
I've used that line myself, Joe, on bikes and instructing in cars. Always assume the person in front of you is doing it wrong.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #187
Blackjack
7Fiddy Ryda

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750

Great comments. So much wisdom and well said. Haven't met Texlurch. His words are on point. This thread is better than past ones on the same subject. Consider making it a sticky. Dave left us with a lot to think about.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #188
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

I wonder. How many wrecks have we heard about, where they were going too fast and they were riding alone?
Seems like that has been rare. Then if so what does that tell you?
My o2 is that they then were trying to be someone they clearly were not.
You knew your limits and chose to not follow what you new to be yours.
Why? You need to feel that others think you are great? That your riding friends will laugh at you because you choose to have fun but be safe at the same time? Then are those people really your friends?
A real friend wants you to have fun but in a safe manner so that you are still friends tomorrow and not a pal carring your casket.
Again my o2
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:53 AM   #189
SVDan
MoveBeech

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S
KX 250
Fiiddie

Haven't been here for awhile, due to dui, but back now. I have read the sad news and all this thread and many other threads over the news..My .02 is that some peeps are taken no matter what road, some taken for dumb cagers..I know I road the forest only two times, but.. First time I stayed in the back and watched all riders enter the corners to evaluate what was to come, why? Because the ride speech at McDonalds scared me on what to expect in the corners, so i played it safe. And was passed by another who wanted to teach me how to lean off the bike to take the corners faster. I wasnt there for that, just enjoying the ride, so I rode at my own pace. I made it home safe riding slow and can ride again another day on my same bike, another guy went down that day but was ok Leave the fast corners for the track days and watch ur surroundings while around other cars. Like everyone else said, I am no differant..ride at ur level and be safe out there guys n girls!!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #190
LuisG4

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R

Send a message via AIM to LuisG4
I went down on 3090, the very first time I was in it. At first I was kinda off about the fact I wrecked my bike but later on I was so glad that I had fallen. I learned from my mistake and now I know what can happen when Im careless. It made me a better but more careful rider. But I guess it all happened for a reason
LuisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #191
Bigmarky
Funny saying goes here

Bike(s):
non running sv650 :(

to quote a famous man

"boards (roads) don't hit back"

feel free to apply it to this thread
Bigmarky is offline   Reply With Quote