MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2006, 12:18 AM   #1
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius
The power of Thought..

Earl Nightingale called it the strangest secret. He'd uncovered it, over and over, among the world's greatest writings.

''Throughout all history, the great wise men and philosophers and prophets have disagreed with one another on many different things,'' Nightingale said. ''It is only on this one point that they are in complete and unanimous agreement.''

According to Jesus in Mark 9:23: ''If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.''

In William Shakespeare's words: ''Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.''

As Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius said: ''A man's life is what his thoughts make of it.''

The realization that we are what we think became the pivotal force in Nightingale's life, helping him spawn a national radio show and an industry of motivational recordings.

At its height, his program was syndicated on more than 1,000 stations. And Nightingale, who died at 68 in 1989, became one of the only nonentertainers of his era to sell over one million records. He did it with ''The Strangest Secret.''

The secret was strange, he said, because it was well-known throughout history, and yet people didn't seem to be aware of it.

In his recording, he conveyed it in terms everyone could understand. The mind, he said, is like a farmer's field.

''It doesn't care what we plant: Success or failure. A concrete, worthwhile goal or confusion. . . . But what we plant, it will return to us.''

Nightingale was driven to learn how to succeed by the memory of his childhood, according to Nick Carter, vice president of Niles, Ill.-based Nightingale-Conant Corp., the company that grew out of Nightingale's recordings.

When Nightingale was growing up in Depression-era Long Beach, Calif., his father left the family. His mother encouraged a passive attitude, telling him not to worry, that some day his ship would come in. And even if it didn't, rich people were unhappy, she said.

But the young man, watching the rich enjoy parties on their pleasure boats in the Long Beach marina, realized that wasn't quite true.

That's when Nightingale, by then a high school dropout, began studying success, which he came to define as ''the progressive realization of a worthy ideal.''

He claimed he read every book in the Long Beach Public Library. Over his lifetime, he built a library of some 6,000 books, Carter says.

''He was a voracious reader,'' Carter said. And ''all of his reading focused on what it takes to be successful.''

Nightingale developed a blueprint for himself about how life worked. Think nature restricts Newton's Laws to mindless objects? Think again, Nightingale suggested.

As Sir Isaac Newton discovered, ''For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.''

As Nightingale put it, ''For you and me, it means we can achieve nothing without paying the price. Your results will be in direct proportion to the effort you put forth.''

Limitations, he concluded, are self-imposed. He was convinced people tap into just 10% of the mind's potential.

Nightingale told his listeners to try a 30-day test, which he promised would change their lives forever if they worked hard enough at it.

Here's what he suggested.

First, he said, choose a goal and write it on a card. Look at it a few times every day and before bed focus your mind on what you want to accomplish.

Nightingale likened a person without a goal to a ship without a destination or a crew. Neither has a chance of arriving.

''All you have to do is know where you're going. The answers will come to you of your own accord and at the right time,'' he said.

On the other side of the card, he suggested, write this verse from the Sermon on the Mount: ''Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.''

Stop dwelling on fears, he urged. Each time a fearful thought pops up, replace it with an image of your achieving the goal.

''Us(e) all your courage to force yourself to think positively on your own problem. . . . Think about it from all possible angles. . . . Imagine all possible solutions. . . . Refuse to believe that there are any circumstances sufficiently strong to defeat you in the achievement of your purpose.''

For the 30 days, he said, work harder than you ever have before.

''In addition to maintaining a positive outlook, give of yourself more than you've ever done before. Your returns in life must be in direct proportion to what you give,'' he said.

And he reminded his listeners to ''act as though it were impossible to fail,'' a tip he picked up from Dorothea Brande, author of ''Wake Up and Live.''

The message of ''The Strangest Secret'' proved powerful. As Nightingale put it, ''With absolutely no fanfare or advertising, strictly by word of mouth, that record began a movement that was to become an avalanche.''

How he popularized an idea that had been hidden through the ages, as he suggested, is also a study in success.

Nightingale, who had a deep, rich voice, got into broadcasting while serving in the Marines. He studied not only how to use his voice to full effect, but also how to relate to his audience.

''He told me one time, 'I invented Earl Nightingale: the voice, the style, the way of speaking,' '' Carter said.

Nightingale studied the style of the great broadcasters of his era. The best, he found, spoke to their audience as if they were speaking to a friend.

He recommended a similar style in writing.

''Whenever you write a letter, read it over and ask yourself if you talk like that,'' Nightingale wrote. ''If not, don't write like that.''

Even when Nightingale quoted such heavy-duty thinkers as Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry Adams and Benjamin Disraeli, he made it easy for his listeners.

''He thought his show was for all people, not just the elite,'' Carter said.

Copyright (c) 1998 Investors Business Daily, All rights reserved.

Investor's Business Daily - Leaders & Success (03/05/98)

Motivator Earl Nightingale - Drew On Timeless Wisdom To Draft Blueprint For Success

By Anna Bray Duff
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote