MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

WSBK: AMA rivals can win in WSBK, says Spies

Quote:
Ben Spies thinks AMA Superbike rivals Mat Mladin and Jamie Hacking should consider making the switch to the World Superbike Championship, claiming they are capable of 'fighting for wins'.

Debate has raged over the years as to whether AMA Superbike competitors are of a standard to compete at the front of the World Superbike field, an argument partly resolved by Spies' marvellous start to the 2009 season.

His success, along with the AMA series' recent setbacks – such as Honda's factory withdrawal – has prompted some to believe Spies won't be the last rider to make the switch from national to international competition.

It is a challenge Spies, a three-time AMA Superbike Champion, would welcome, claiming arch-rival Mladin and good friend Hacking would acquit themselves well on the world stage.

“We've got some fast guys in AMA that can do some damage too,” he told Crash.net Radio. “Mat is the guy that, in each season, I would go toe-to-toe with. He can win races over here, there is no doubt about that. I'd say these tracks suit my style a little bit more than Mat's, but he can definitely be up front.

“Another guy is Jamie Hacking - the tracks would definitely suit him! He was consistently up there in third place when no-one else in the world was getting podiums on the Kawasaki, so those two guys could be over here and be in the top ten and fight for wins on their day. I don't doubt that at all.”

Although Spies plays down claims that Mladin and Hacking would arrive and decimate the opposition, he does say they can add to the 'six or seven guys' who are capable of winning races.

“There are a handful of guys that can come over from AMA and win a couple of races, but what World Superbikes is known for is the depth of the field. It is one of the best championships in racing, not just motorcycles.

“Every time the green flag drops, there are about six or seven guys out there you need to watch for the win. If you run off the track or lose your set-up in the first couple of laps, then you are struggling to climb through the top ten. That's why World Superbike racing is considered the best!”

Australian racer Mladin, a six-time AMA Superbike Champion, has competed in 18 WSBK races since 1992, but has not raced since 2003 when he managed a wild-card pole position at Laguna Seca.

Hacking, who finished 11th on his MotoGP debut for Kawasaki at Laguna Seca last year, is yet to make a WSBK start.
I would happily see Kagayama (Suzuki) replaced by Mladin
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
NO ! the AMA is a joke now. Mladin & Hacking should make the switch. i boycott the AMA until they can pull their head out of their . fukk them and their regime. Greed & Profit is the only thing that fuels the AMA these days, so im not havin any part of it.
breathe Jody b-r-e-a-t-h-e
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
NO ! the AMA is a joke now. Mladin & Hacking should make the switch. i boycott the AMA until they can pull their head out of their . fukk them and their regime. Greed & Profit is the only thing that fuels the AMA these days, so im not havin any part of it.
But...what do you mean? They are letting new talents to join the AMA in the near future. Plues they are selling last year's race bikes. The AMA is on top of the world right now, I don't think anybody would leave it.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

That would be awesome if they made the jump!
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileono918 View Post
But...what do you mean? They are letting new talents to join the AMA in the near future. Plues they are selling last year's race bikes. The AMA is on top of the world right now, I don't think anybody would leave it.
Sarcasm, right?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
breathe Jody b-r-e-a-t-h-e
It's more like drag.....hold........hold.......release
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Sarcasm, right?
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
aarongore

Bike(s):
SV650, ZX7RR

Quote:
Jody.......is this your final answer??
aarongore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

Quote:
+1 I have decided I wouldnt watch or attend a race this yr.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
johnpatrick87
Road Scalpel

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 Honda CBR1000RR

Member Garage

Quote:
what ? are we playing jeopardy
no, we're playing who wants to be a millionaire...and the answer is the AMA people. Money is seemingly all they care about now.

Advertisement