MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
bignissan

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 Harley Sportster

Spark Plugs

I am still breaking in my new KTMracer built 72cc (kx65) engine. I was tooling around on the bayou behind the house and there were quite a few joggers around so I was piddling in the low range a bit too long. I fouled a plug (B10EG) and had a stock BR10EG to throw in. I couldn't find much information on the heat ranges for the two different plugs, I just know the BR10EG is the stock model.

What do y'all run in your bikes ok the track? I plan on going race gas once I burn through this "break in" tank so I'll probably need to adjust the jetting some as well.
bignissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
spark plugs eric636 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 06-04-2011 11:34 AM
need help with spark plugs blends Performance and Modifications 22 02-24-2009 12:35 PM
Spark Plugs Dreamer!! General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 07-23-2008 10:39 PM
Spark plugs SPHINX Performance and Modifications 17 06-06-2008 08:30 AM
New Spark Plugs D-Mo How To's and Q & A's 5 04-15-2008 07:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignissan View Post
I am still breaking in my new KTMracer built 72cc (kx65) engine. I was tooling around on the bayou behind the house and there were quite a few joggers around so I was piddling in the low range a bit too long. I fouled a plug (B10EG) and had a stock BR10EG to throw in. I couldn't find much information on the heat ranges for the two different plugs, I just know the BR10EG is the stock model.

What do y'all run in your bikes ok the track? I plan on going race gas once I burn through this "break in" tank so I'll probably need to adjust the jetting some as well.
Don't go to race gas. Its waay too big of a debate for me to post here, but if you find me at Katy - I'll tell you about the several hours test I did with 85, 87, 91, 93, 102 and 104 (i think).

Best combo for your bike is "same brand" 93 all the time. Chevron/Shell/Exxon.

Spark Plug, I am using the stock one.

Jetting I have no clue about about - we used a 230 this past endurance race. A lil on the "bigga side"

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
ktmracer
You aint FAST! WAKE UP!!

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
CBX Twin Turbo's
Ktm 560 Supermoto, Ktm 450 supermoto
Ktm 280 Supermoto
Ktm 65 Supermoto
A whole wharehouse full..

Ok im stepping in on this one. RACE FUEL IS A CONSISTENT BLEND!! Pump fuel is not. You may buy at the same store but they blend different batchs all the time according to weather and time of year. Plus all the detergents and additives that can cause detonation and oil breakdown. I dont recomend mixing pump gas and race fuel even though the base stock is the same starting point.
Also how do you know what big John put in the tanks at the Shell station last night??. He may have been drunk and put regular in the Premium tanks which I know for a fact has been done. Not calling you out Mo but the motors i have built for the last 41 years like race fuel plain and simple. Shure it is more expensive but it costs less in the long run in ways of motor repairs.. A motor always likes race fuel as long as it is jetted correctly and tuned correctly. 2 stroke or 4 stroke... Wes
Old 04-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
Ok im stepping in on this one. RACE FUEL IS A CONSISTENT BLEND!! Pump fuel is not. You may buy at the same store but they blend different batchs all the time according to weather and time of year. Plus all the detergents and additives that can cause detonation and oil breakdown. I dont recomend mixing pump gas and race fuel even though the base stock is the same starting point.
Also how do you know what big John put in the tanks at the Shell station last night??. He may have been drunk and put regular in the Premium tanks which I know for a fact has been done. Not calling you out Mo but the motors i have built for the last 41 years like race fuel plain and simple. Shure it is more expensive but it costs less in the long run in ways of motor repairs.. A motor always likes race fuel as long as it is jetted correctly and tuned correctly. 2 stroke or 4 stroke... Wes

Only problem is people like to keep everything stock and then run race gas. After a while they realize its too expensive, and then they start to mix it half and half with race + pump.

What ever it is - if a bike is "tuned" and "jetted" correctly, then fuel is irrelevant. However people over look that, heck ask Damon or me how many top ends we went through this past weekend .

Jetting/Tuning is more important.

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
might wanna recheck ur facts. i guess all those race teams just use race fuel cause its cool

I'm talking specific to the KX65 here my friend...

How's the recovery coming?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
not much recovering here. just suckin it up and dealin with it right now. i got tired of all the steroid injections & pain killers. they make me a bigger than normal. looking into disc replacement. that might be my next step...
? Nah...

Mike Ingle and I were talking about you yesterday - we were like man you just cant find a bigger around... j/k.

Heal Up man, it could be worse. Disc Replacement - is only the beginning. Whose taking care of it? Insurance?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
ktmracer
You aint FAST! WAKE UP!!

Bike(s):
CBX Twin Turbo's
Ktm 280 Supermoto
Ktm 65 Supermoto

Man MO . Fuel is everything PERIOD!! Crappy fuel crappy running bike no matter how you jet it...
Old 04-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
Man MO . Fuel is everything PERIOD!! Crappy fuel crappy running bike no matter how you jet it...
Yes Wes.

It is.

I don't think I made my point across clear. Its too lengthy, I'll explain in person.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
built motors like race fuel and out the pump stuff

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
ktmracer
You aint FAST! WAKE UP!!

Bike(s):
CBX Twin Turbo's
Ktm 280 Supermoto
Ktm 65 Supermoto

Here is my point exactly. Read this .
http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1105146076.html

Only this is worse....

Last edited by ktmracer; 04-03-2009 at 02:54 PM.
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement