MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
ChrisGo

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Question Would Youuuu?

Ive been wanting to do a track day since before i even owned a bike. Now that I own a bike im starting to be a little hesitant. I was originally going to get a used up f4i or older zx6r, scratched up, and generally used all over so that I could have fun with it and not worry so much. I ended up getting a bike that has almost flawless paint and has been maintained religously. Im trying to debate wether to just take it out and risk it?

The only logic I have given myself is that its gonna go down at some point, wether it be the street or the track, so why not let it be a place where im actually having fun?
Any body else have any ideas? Or reasoning?
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Do it ... things you learn at the track will help keep your bike right side up on the street.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

yup. I was scared taking my Erion to TWS (Texas World Speedway) the first time, and the event group I was with was horrible. it was hot, no one would help me, and the bike was all over the place. and I owed mmoney on it. but it was badass, and I'm hooked.

do it. or buy my trackbike and trash it there, it'll be for sale this evening.
They are both ugly liberals cocksuckers. Can't wait till they stop stinking up the white house with their curry meals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
and made those people so He can have them slaughtered..
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Soil that !
Old 03-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

The most fun U will ever have with leathers on

Well maybe not
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
FYI, if you go to a trackday, you don't have to crash it... Rule #1 is don't talk about fight club.

wait no...

Rule #1 is no crashing.

As long as you ride as fast as you are comfortable with, and listen to the instruction you're given at the track, and ask plenty of questions, you and your bike will go home in one piece.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'17 Triumph Thruxton R
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by blends View Post
FYI, if you go to a trackday, you don't have to crash it...

Rule #1 is no crashing.

As long as you ride as fast as you are comfortable with, and listen to the instruction you're given at the track, and ask plenty of questions, you and your bike will go home in one piece.
Exactly!!
I know it is intimidating to think about riding on a "race track", but think of it as a twisty road that goes in a closed loop.
You will be in control of what your bike does and you do not have to go faster than you feel comfortable.

The most important thing is to leave your ego at home, you don't have to prove how fast you are.
Everyone feels the same as you at first and I believe any of us will help you in any way we can.

PM me or any one you want, let them know when you are gonna come out and I for one will help, if I am gonna be there.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

I just did my first track day and many of the same things were going through my mind. My zx7R is nearly perfect and the thought of her sliding across the track bending and snapping plastic and metal was a big deal. My goal was to leave there in the same condition as I arrived - less some tire life. I really had no idea what to expect. The event was great (props to TTD), the instruction was 100% relevant for a novice like me and I was able to improve by leaps and bounds every single session. Make sure your equipment is 100% - especially brakes and tires (it will give you confidence if you're not questioning things while your knee is an inch off the pavement) and listen to your instructors. Pay attention to details. When they say check your tire pressure - do it. When they show you a line - use it. You probably won't be the slowest out there. I can promise you won't be the fastest. You will learn amazing things about your bike and how to actually use it to its potential. It's a whole new mindset. On the street - you ride all day and your gets sore. On the track, you ride all day and your is fine because it's only on the seat 25% of the time - your LEGS and ABS get sore - and I mean 3 days of sore. So go out there and have a blast - get out of your comfort zone but don't push it too hard. Don't freak out when you see the needle pass 130 between turns - lots of guys go way faster than that. If you're determined to be safe, smooth and consistent, you'll likely have a fun day free of bent metal or broken plastic (and of course - free of broken body parts). I can't wait to do my next one!
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post
Ive been wanting to do a track day since before i even owned a bike. Now that I own a bike im starting to be a little hesitant. I was originally going to get a used up f4i or older zx6r, scratched up, and generally used all over so that I could have fun with it and not worry so much. I ended up getting a bike that has almost flawless paint and has been maintained religously. Im trying to debate wether to just take it out and risk it?

The only logic I have given myself is that its gonna go down at some point, wether it be the street or the track, so why not let it be a place where im actually having fun?

i did my first trackday with my "pretty" bike , as long as you feel you can handle your bike, i dont see a problem with it. but if your still new to the bike and scared of the power so to speak then i wouldnt.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
you can always get it fixed & back to shiney & new if you wreck.

that's what I did.
or you can just say that the scratches and zip-ties lend character to your bike

Old 03-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post

i feel your pain on this one...........try having a $3k paintjob on the bike and all you want to do is track the out..............gggrrrrr
Old 03-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
spring r1

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
07 r1
04gsxr600 track
ttr90

im going to my first track day on 4/4............scratchs give it character and show u use the t out of it
spring r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #13
ChrisGo

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

WOW, I expected a bunch of sarcasm on this one but every single reply was very helpful, thanks everyone. I think im pretty much set on doing a track day now. I was thinking after I posted this, what the did I buy the thing for if im not gonna use it? Anyways, because I live so close to TWS (Texas World Speedway), I will prob make that my first track day. I "plan" on corner-working the first day and riding the second. Hopefully I can meet a couple of yall so I wont look like a lost tourist roaming around the pits
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years

its fun.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
624chic

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
barbie 4 wheeler

i break in ALL my brand new bikes on the track that way if you crash it(knock on wood) you'll have an excuse to get new ones
624chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
07SLVRCBR
October '08 BOTM

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2007 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyneLawson View Post
i feel your pain on this one...........try having a $3k paintjob on the bike and all you want to do is track the out..............gggrrrrr
I've got a tad bit over $3k in my bike, and it's track only.

Just do it. If it's your time to go down, it's gonna happen... track or not.

See ya @ the track!
07SLVRCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

man......i remember when i used to care what my bike looked like...............not anymore!...............now that i think about it, i need to clean my bike up

get on the track amigo

Advertisement