MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Hotbodies.... jeeeeez

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hotbodies megaphone K. Oliveira Performance and Modifications 22 09-11-2010 11:31 AM
Hotbodies undertail 04r6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 01-13-2009 06:29 PM
Hotbodies 600rr replica tomLSTD General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 10-23-2007 12:58 PM
Hotbodies or Sharkskinz? S_M_J82 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 09-22-2006 03:21 PM
Hotbodies flushmounts Candie How To's and Q & A's 19 09-16-2006 07:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

other than the fubar tail section on the top picture they both look ok.

i had that same tail section that i put on my 06 gsxr and i just cut it down to where it should be.

the top one is made for a MotoGP seat and probably did not come with a hole cut for teh factory seat. the bottom one is made to match up with the factory little tank plastic pieces.....

pick your poison.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Member Garage

BTW, you got an extra belly pan laying around? i need one to race.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
i'm guessing the green one is hotbodies?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Member Garage

the upper to lower match up seems to be off alittle on the bottom one, but that could be installation error.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

Lower and upper fairing don't line up?
gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
I have on that tom gave me. It was for a 600RR.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Member Garage

and my last thought, the top one looks like it is NOT made to work with stock exhaust. the bottom looks like you could fit stock exhaust in it. (lower fairing to back tire distance)
Old 03-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The joints where they meet are very visible on the bottom.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
624chic

Bike(s):
barbie 4 wheeler

top one is shartkskinz, bottom is the cheapy bodies
624chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
GABRIEL

The Hotboddies is on the bottom. Right? Mine suck on fitment realy bad and I am getting a paint job on them and hope it is not a waste scince the farrings fit so bad.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
GABRIEL

And ever thing you said about the quality is true. They cracked a lot just getting them on.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
rc51eviltwin

i think this is on a case by case basis.
i have a set of hotbodies and it doesnt crack when on and the bike.
but a friend of mine painted it and he did tell me it was a royal pain to get it right.looks bad now,but really dontknow what he had to go thrue,he did mention bubbles and where the tail piece comes together on the edge9top and bottom)it needed reinforcement=time
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #14
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

looks like the lower fairing rubs the back tire.

Anyone try making there own out of glass or carbon? I would think it could be done by popin a mold off a new set and laying up inside that with a film realease agent. Any boating enthusiasts out there willing to give it a try.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

I didn't expect so many replies at this time of the night!

Quote:
other than the fubar tail section on the top picture they both look ok.

i had that same tail section that i put on my 06 gsxr and i just cut it down to where it should be.

the top one is made for a MotoGP seat and probably did not come with a hole cut for teh factory seat. the bottom one is made to match up with the factory little tank plastic pieces.....

pick your poison.
The top one is a "Superbike" tail and is not intended to be used with the seat. It's reinforced and has some built up cross members (fiberglass) to hold the load of the rider. The intention is to use a closed cell foam padding to give a little bit of seat to the rider, but the rider with something like this is generally not on the seat very long.

I've also cut some of these superbike tails to work with a stock seat, it doesn't work as well as the "Superstock" tail sections do, but it'll do in a pinch. The blue/ white bodywork is keeping the Superbike tail.

Quote:
I think I've got something, but I'll have to look. I'm pretty sure I have an upper fairing that wold be perfect for a spot on your bike to put your numbers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_J82 View Post
i'm guessing the green one is hotbodies?
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Quote:
the upper to lower match up seems to be off alittle on the bottom one, but that could be installation error.
Good eye, it's one of the more obscure things about the fit. In person you can really see the difference. Not installation error, both sets of bodywork are installed by the same person, and I sat there and messed with that Hotbodies to get it to fit that well for hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjai View Post
Lower and upper fairing don't line up?

Quote:
and my last thought, the top one looks like it is NOT made to work with stock exhaust. the bottom looks like you could fit stock exhaust in it. (lower fairing to back tire distance)
Man, I don't know about the stock exhaust- to tell the truth, neither one of them fit the stock exhaust 'cause I tried. The blue/ white one fits the lower part of the bike unbelievably well whereas the green/ white does not. Up close the M4 exhaust looks fantastic with the blue/ white as far as fit goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
The joints where they meet are very visible on the bottom.
Bingo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 624chic View Post
top one is shartkskinz, bottom is the cheapy bodies
How would you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
The Hotboddies is on the bottom. Right? Mine suck on fitment realy bad and I am getting a paint job on them and hope it is not a waste scince the farrings fit so bad.
Yup. It's not a waste though, like I said, it has it's place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
And ever thing you said about the quality is true. They cracked a lot just getting them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51eviltwin View Post
i think this is on a case by case basis.
i have a set of hotbodies and it doesnt crack when on and the bike.
but a friend of mine painted it and he did tell me it was a royal pain to get it right.looks bad now,but really dontknow what he had to go thrue,he did mention bubbles and where the tail piece comes together on the edge9top and bottom)it needed reinforcement=time
I've seen a ton of Hotbodies sets over the years, I have a definite timeline on when they started going bad. Do a search on the WERA bbs for "Hotbodies" from a couple years ago- OMG those guys ripped Hotbodies to shreds over there!

Your friend is very astute. Regarding the cracking thing though, I'll bet you didn't try to flex it on purpose though, right? I've got some Attack bodywork in my shop right now, see if anyone wants to compare their cheap stuff to it as far as flex alone and I bet they chicken out long before I will. Sharkskinz too for that matter. It's natural, nobody wants to put their new stuff under stress for fear of it breaking or cracking.

With the Yoshimitsu, Pit Ek and F1 Racing stuff I've painted, I didn't even have to try to flex that stuff, it broke/ cracked in places just when I was sanding it! I had to be extremely careful with it when sanding so I didn't do any more damage, transported it on egg crate to the person when I was done with it, and began breathing again when it got in their hands so I wasn't responsible when they broke it!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post

Anyone try making there own out of glass or carbon? I would think it could be done by popin a mold off a new set and laying up inside that with a film realease agent. Any boating enthusiasts out there willing to give it a try.
Neither set rubs the back tire, it's concave at that end to fit the tire. Supposed to add aerodynamics to the bodywork that way.

Lots of manufacturers make carbon fiber bodywork, trouble is the cost. You can actually make your own stuff (as you allude to) in the exact same way you make fiberglass bodywork. Again, the cost of materials is steep, but worth it if you have the tools/ time/ patience/ experienced person to help you.

You mention boat folks though- you might talk to Buck Beasley but I think he's really busy with hurricane repairs.

The other thing about most boat repair/ manufacturing places is that I don't think they use fiberglass cloth, the ones I've seen use blown fiberglass which is a similar but different process enough to not make it worth your while. Of course I'm no expert, so I could be way off base here.

I have a friend in Cali that makes really cool carbon fiber stuff. Search "Tygaboy carbon fiber" on youtube.com and you'll see a 6 part clinic on how to make your own carbon parts. He made an absolutely stellar SV once with his own carbon fiber bodywork and even a carbon fiber fuel tank!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Thanks for the insight Tom!

There's nothing better than listening to a sprayer rant! Most of the time you only hear folks talking about how great their new bodywork is...unfortunately their opinions are based more on glee than actual experience of spraying (and fitting!) multiple or different sets.
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #18
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post

Have done it. Actually the set Larry ran at Daytona this year we made the week before using his OEM as a base. Only two scratches in the OEM where we got a bit impatient and they will buff out. Lots of fun........ and I have thought about doing a carbon set, but the thought of getting the weave to match up gives me nightmares. (And Tom my stuff you can bend back on itself.)
The chop gun is the way to mass produce if you have good molds and THAT is where most go south. Also consider that not only is Pepe and the boys doing the work for about a dollar and hour down there, but he molds get old and quality suffers and primer gets thicker. Chop guns will ALWAYS produce air bubbles unless you have the epoxy so thin it runs from the mold.
You think body work is a pain, try filling and fairing 50+' of boat hull from a crappy mold in Taiwan.........
shipyard031100deleted
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Have done it. Actually the set Larry ran at Daytona this year we made the week before using his OEM as a base. Only two scratches in the OEM where we got a bit impatient and they will buff out. Lots of fun........ and I have thought about doing a carbon set, but the thought of getting the weave to match up gives me nightmares. (And Tom my stuff you can bend back on itself.)
The chop gun is the way to mass produce if you have good molds and THAT is where most go south. Also consider that not only is Pepe and the boys doing the work for about a dollar and hour down there, but he molds get old and quality suffers and primer gets thicker. Chop guns will ALWAYS produce air bubbles unless you have the epoxy so thin it runs from the mold.
You think body work is a pain, try filling and fairing 50+' of boat hull from a crappy mold in Taiwan.........
shipyard031100deleted
Cool stuff there Buck I heard you made a set for Larry to run too, now you need to tell those folks how it's almost impossible to get rich making and selling motorcycle bodywork!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

Well, my input is, Hotbodies is total ! I have sponsorship with them this year. Not that I'm fast enough to claim any their money. But I'm thinking I don’t even want it, if I was.

I'm holding back a lot of opinion in this post. But I will never go there again. Not to mention the quality, but they shipped me the incorrect tail section and didn’t ship me a windscreen. Man, I don’t see how their in business. I had to hack my set to PIECES to get it to fit. I think if you look at all their product offerings, their squids??
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement