MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #41
maxgs

Member Garage

The instrumentation to measure suspension travel is pretty expensive and, in reality, I really need a faster sampling rate than I have with the G2X.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSRH w/data acquisition maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 03-10-2010 10:41 AM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) on Gixxer with Data Acquisition maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 12-03-2009 11:39 AM
Coaching with Data Acquisition maxgs Taking it to the Track 18 10-16-2009 08:30 AM
MSR-H with new data acquisition maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 05-26-2009 08:43 PM
Thanks Maxgs and Data Acquisition! cdill35 General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 05-19-2009 07:07 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #42
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
The instrumentation to measure suspension travel is pretty expensive and, in reality, I really need a faster sampling rate than I have with the G2X.

I would have thought a man with your expertise and a few simple potentiometers would have found your way around that
I know it's not that simple and I take your point about the sampling rate.

On a serious note,
having had some experience aiding a racer with a 2D system, of all the data collected, suspension travel and wheel speed were the most helpful in bringing down lap times.
I only mention it because you have indicated that you are using your acquired data to work on getting faster.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #43
maxgs

Member Garage

The next two items for me are throttle position sensor and brake pressure sensor.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #44
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
The next two items for me are throttle position sensor and brake pressure sensor.
I haven't seen your bike, Curt, but I think it's safe for me to ask, "dont you think you already have enough electronics on that thing?"

Quick shifter and ignition module are next for myslef.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #45
maxgs

Member Garage

But those two sensors are so small. It should be A-OK.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #46
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
All that protein and an extra 400cc/50HP and you still can't keep up? Maybe smaller steaks is a good idea. No potato for you!!!! You gonna ride Sunday?
Back on topic............lose 7# worth of OEM off your bike is equal to 1HP. That is standard for any machine.
sweet. i never knew this info.

while i am already light. i think a lighter exhaust (stock now) and running no oil/water should get me some extra horses....

(kidding on the oil and water)
Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #47
andygill17

Bike(s):
'99 sv 650 bobber race bike

I've been using a little bit cheaper gps "data acquisition"... Garmin Forerunner 305 heart rate monitor/gps watch. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=349 . I didn't buy it specifically for this, but I already had it and figured out you could "mark" a spot on the track and it would count/time your laps, and then you can DL the info onto your computer. I've only used it at a couple track days and still experimenting with it, but it's neat to view my heart rate vs. speed/position on the track. Sometimes it's picky as to where you "mark" the beginning of the lap, and it won't pick up all your laps. I don't think the sampling rate is fast enough either (it's made for running/cycling, not going 100mph on a motorcycle) but for the most part it works pretty good (like I said, i'm still experimenting/ figuring it out).
I know it's no G2X, but it's a somewhat cheaper alternative that also measures heart rate. I think they make some cheaper ones ($100-150) that are bigger and wouldn't be as good for running/cycling, but would work fine if mounted on the bike.
BTW, when I when the lotto, I'm getting this: http://www.performanceracingonline.c...ducts_id=13100
Racepak IQ3 data logging, gps enabled, dash kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garmin.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	21281  
andygill17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #48
andygill17

Bike(s):

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the above attached image is a screenshot of a lap at GSS from the trackday on 3-1-09
Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #49
maxgs

Member Garage

I've always wanted to capture my heartrate while riding at the track. I tried once in the car, but there was too much EMI. It's a heckuva workout.

What a good way to get lap times too!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #50
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill17 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the above attached image is a screenshot of a lap at GSS from the trackday on 3-1-09
The IQ3 is too darned big. It's something like 10" across.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #51
andygill17

Bike(s):

Quote:
The IQ3 is too darned big. It's something like 10" across.
I was wondering about that...wasn't sure if it was meant for cars or bikes. It "looked" a lot like the dashes on motogp type bikes. You could probably make it work, but yeah, that is a little big.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #52
andygill17

Bike(s):

Quote:
I've always wanted to capture my heartrate while riding at the track. I tried once in the car, but there was too much EMI. It's a heckuva workout.

What a good way to get lap times too!
Yeah, i woulda never thought my HR was that high when out on the track. The first few sessions were even worse...HR was up around 180...gotta relax more out there. I still remember that one part on "Faster" where one of the doctors says how they put HR monitors on rossi and biaggi and eventhough they were running close to the same lap times, biaggi's HR was sky high, while rossi's was just barely above his baseline.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #53
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
While Larry is in 1st gear in certain areas, and you are in 3rd in that same area...Wouldn't one think the risk of blowing something up be that much greater when screaming at 13k as opposed to 7 or 8k in 3rd gear? I would think riding over the launch in first gear must put EXTREME wear and tear on your machine. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see ringing my bikes neck (although it may sound like we are ringing them to death already) to gain an extra second or two. I wanna be able to ride it next time, without massive bills in between trackdays.
HUGE thanks to Maxgs for posting this thread and Dr. Gonzo for working with me a bit on two problem areas I have/had at MSRH...

1. The launch-getting a good drive outta the launch and into the keyhole. I realized I was only downshifting once as I approached the launch (4th to 3rd)....with a little extra attention, I was able to "remember one extra downshift", thus dropping from 4th to 3rd to 2nd....while I sacrificed a little corner entry speed, I made up significant time in my "drive" to the keyhole.

2. Diamands Edge- I was also only dropping 2 gears while coming into Diamonds Edge. As I approach the right handed "kink" I would drop from 5th to 4th, allow for some engine braking, and then dropping one more gear as I braked hard coming into the first right hander of the double apex. Well, I adjusted a bit and instead of leaving it in 3rd I dropped to 2nd. This too gave me a better drive out of Diamonds Edge and onto the straight.

Between these 2 adjustments I probably shaved a second, if not more, off of my lap times. After watching my onboard video footage, I noticed I would get a "controlled" squirly rear tire as I dropped into those lower gears. Definitely a cool feeling.

So, how much do after market slipper clutches cost? Prolly gonna need an aftermarket steering damper too. That front wheel gets light when WOT coming out those turns and I experinced some mild headshake as I screamed outta the corners.

No way in I could do 1st gear through those turns...I don't have the .

Last edited by dbuck; 03-30-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #54
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Glad to hear Danny! looked like you found your groove yesterday...
Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #55
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Glad to hear Danny! looked like you found your groove yesterday...
thank you so much for the help...after we got done talking, Bean says to me, "I'd take his advice, Alonzo redefines the term "fast""
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #56
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
thank you so much for the help...after we got done talking, Bean says to me, "I'd take his advice, Alonzo redefines the term "fast""
I wish! I still have alot to learn.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #57
andygill17

Bike(s):

Quote:
Word. Thanks again alonzo for helping me out. I think I improved on my lines, but I just couldn't get comfortable. I kept looking right in front of my bike instead of through the turn. I was running about 2 seconds a lap slower than last week (1:49-1:50), with one 1:47.4. Seemed like everytime I started feeling good, they threw the red flag. Like, right when I caught up to you dbuck, bam, red flag. Had a blast though, can't wait for TWS (Texas World Speedway)!

Advertisement