MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
KIX

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750

What happens at a track day?

I haven't been riding all that long and I'm thinking of doing a track day or taking the advanced MSF class. I know that at the class I'll get tips on riding, but I'm not sure what happens on a track day. Do they just turn me loose on a track? Is there an instructor? What level of rider should one be before getting on the track? Thanks
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
RideSmart Track Day - ECR Extravaganza 2 - Aug 16-17, 2008 - $100/day + Prizes Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 27 08-18-2008 09:11 AM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
624chic

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
barbie 4 wheeler

tell them when you sign up that you need an instructor and you haven't been on the track before. try to sign up on a small track.
624chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
dontbap()ssy

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 R6 (sold)
04 R1 (donated to the track gods)
08 MV Agusta F4 312R (sold)
10 duc 1198

there are instructors , and you should be a little comfortable on your bike but for the most part the novice group is a good starting point for any kind of rider
dontbap()ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Kix, if interested there is a track day this Sunday at MSRH I am attending to help one of my friends whom is riding her first day.

If you'd like to come along, we will be there at 6am and plan to be all day.

Come on by, say hi... If you bring the necessary gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and ankle-covering shoes) you can ride the parade laps during lunch for free.

You'll also be introduced to our forest gnomes and the track riders/organization there that day. Its the best recommendation I can offer before you go to experience your first.

Come get an idea. And we'll have plenty of drinks etc, and at lunch there is food.

PM me for a number if you're interested.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
To answer your question generally:

track riding is alot different then street riding. They will go over classroom instruction between sessions and you will learn techniques and have instructors with you on the track following set rules for your safety. As you move up through the levels of the organization the rules are changed for faster riding but still in play for safety.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
eaglefox20
Some Say...

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GSX- R600
SV650n (sold)
Scwhinn 18-speed

Send a message via AIM to eaglefox20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Kix, if interested there is a track day this Sunday at MSRH I am attending to help one of my friends whom is riding her first day.

If you'd like to come along, we will be there at 6am and plan to be all day.

Come on by, say hi... If you bring the necessary gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and ankle-covering shoes) you can ride the parade laps during lunch for free.

You'll also be introduced to our forest gnomes and the track riders/organization there that day. Its the best recommendation I can offer before you go to experience your first.

Come get an idea. And we'll have plenty of drinks etc, and at lunch there is food.

PM me for a number if you're interested.
I've been wondering the same thing about track days. Do you need a full suit to go out? I have everything but pants.

What's the difference between MSRH and signing up for RideSmart or MSF Advanced Rider?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I haven't been riding all that long and I'm thinking of doing a track day or taking the advanced MSF class. I know that at the class I'll get tips on riding, but I'm not sure what happens on a track day. Do they just turn me loose on a track? Is there an instructor? What level of rider should one be before getting on the track? Thanks
It's a great idea after your advanced course to hit the "track pipe".

At our track days, we have instructors that KNOW what they're doing and have been doing it for 9 years now with LSTD. You will come away with a great understanding of your bike and yourself, and by the end of the day, you'll be exhausted but have a feeling of serious accomplishment and new found speed!

Sign up for the "C" group and you'll be well taken care of when you take the rider's school. The Rider's School in the C group has limited enrollment, so make sure you sign up early.

After you get going and get some days under your belt, we offer an Advanced Rider Program that will take you to the next level- racing or fast track day riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefox20 View Post
I've been wondering the same thing about track days. Do you need a full suit to go out? I have everything but pants.

What's the difference between MSRH and signing up for RideSmart or MSF Advanced Rider?
Here is the requirements for gear and your bike for LSTD:
http://www.lstd.com/html/requirements.html

PM me or hit up our vendor's section on this site for more answers, but the web site will answer most of them for you.

MSRH is the acronym they use for the Mercedes Benz Sugar Land Road Course in Angleton- it's a race track.

The difference between an MSF and track day is that in a track day, you're learning skills that are valuable on the track but can translate to the street too. With MSF, you're learning to be a safe and good street rider. Some of the skills transfer to the track too.

WWW.LSTD.com
Old 03-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
eaglefox20
Some Say...

Bike(s):
Suzuki GSX- R600
SV650n (sold)
Scwhinn 18-speed

Does LSTD have anything planned near Houston?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

Quote:

MSRH is actually a racetrack on the south side of houston (MotorSport Ranch Houston)
i think this makes him look human. you always get people thinking they soooooo perfect, well your not. at least Obama was cool enough to be himself. thats why i look up to him, he's like an average black male but with intelligence. -Actual Quote from a Barack Obama supporter
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
eaglefox20
Some Say...

Bike(s):
Suzuki GSX- R600
SV650n (sold)
Scwhinn 18-speed

Sounds like checking out the parade ride would be good.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Amanda
Bulletproof

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

lstd.com
texastrackdays.com
ridesmart.info

those are the track organizations. All of them run various tracks on different dates! No matter the company or the track, you have to be in full gear. And you will ALWAYS be novice class (group C) on your first day.

gear: I believe motorcycles unlimited and texastrackbikes.com both RENT out full leather suits. Your boots dont HAVE to be riding boots as long as they cover the ankle. helmet has to be approved. two piece suits are ok, as long as they zip together. Gloves, wear the best ones you can get ur hands on!

bike: tape up your lights with painters tape. Lower tire pressure a lil for track make sure ur chain is in ok shape. Thats the bare minimum. some ppl take off license plates and unplug light fuses. dont have to. Up to you.

track DAY: Arrive round 7:30 or earlier. Unload. go to registration and check in/recieve stickers to put on ur bike/sign waivers. Then take ur bike and helmet to tech and have them make sure everything passes! fiddle around some. Drink water. Then everyone meets for a 'riders meeting'. After, you go gear up and wait for your turn to ride (and by waiting, i mean, attend class) In the class, they will pair you with trained instructors who will work with you through the day on lines to take around the track, body posistion and anything else you need to work on. However, you can ask ANY instructor questions. Advanced(or some call group 'A') always starts FIRST. 9am! Then Intermediate (group 'b') go at 9:20. And you, Novice go on at 9:40. then it starts over. Advanced always rides on the hour. Intermediate always at 20 after. and Novice at 40 after. When speed and comfort level is good enough to ur instructor you move to intermediate (for some, thats their first track day, for some its 5th, and some its tenth). Lunch is around noon. Break. class room. and at 1, riding begins again. your last session to ride is at 4:40. all bikes are off at five. You change, load up, and go home with one of ----> .

Misc: All track days range from $100-$180. all most tracks have gas on site or you can take gas. (but go with a full tank). you will need to add a lil if you ride all sessions. Drink water the day before, and bring plenty with you.

I think that covers basics...

the sites above are sites to live by~!!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
eaglefox20
Some Say...

Bike(s):
Suzuki GSX- R600
SV650n (sold)
Scwhinn 18-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
lstd.com
texastrackdays.com
ridesmart.info

those are the track organizations. All of them run various tracks on different dates! No matter the company or the track, you have to be in full gear. And you will ALWAYS be novice class (group C) on your first day.

gear: I believe motorcycles unlimited and texastrackbikes.com both RENT out full leather suits. Your boots dont HAVE to be riding boots as long as they cover the ankle. helmet has to be approved. two piece suits are ok, as long as they zip together. Gloves, wear the best ones you can get ur hands on!

bike: tape up your lights with painters tape. Lower tire pressure a lil for track make sure ur chain is in ok shape. Thats the bare minimum. some ppl take off license plates and unplug light fuses. dont have to. Up to you.

track DAY: Arrive round 7:30 or earlier. Unload. go to registration and check in/recieve stickers to put on ur bike/sign waivers. Then take ur bike and helmet to tech and have them make sure everything passes! fiddle around some. Drink water. Then everyone meets for a 'riders meeting'. After, you go gear up and wait for your turn to ride (and by waiting, i mean, attend class) In the class, they will pair you with trained instructors who will work with you through the day on lines to take around the track, body posistion and anything else you need to work on. However, you can ask ANY instructor questions. Advanced(or some call group 'A') always starts FIRST. 9am! Then Intermediate (group 'b') go at 9:20. And you, Novice go on at 9:40. then it starts over. Advanced always rides on the hour. Intermediate always at 20 after. and Novice at 40 after. When speed and comfort level is good enough to ur instructor you move to intermediate (for some, thats their first track day, for some its 5th, and some its tenth). Lunch is around noon. Break. class room. and at 1, riding begins again. your last session to ride is at 4:40. all bikes are off at five. You change, load up, and go home with one of ----> .

Misc: All track days range from $100-$180. all most tracks have gas on site or you can take gas. (but go with a full tank). you will need to add a lil if you ride all sessions. Drink water the day before, and bring plenty with you.

I think that covers basics...

the sites above are sites to live by~!!
Thanks Amanda! That's very informative. Can I ride my bike down since I have neither a truck or trailer?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:59 AM   #13
TrevorC

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

Quote:
Thanks Amanda! That's very informative. Can I ride my bike down since I have neither a truck or trailer?
I don't know of Amanda's opinion on this, but at least have a buddy go with you with a truck or a trailer, or borrow a friends for the weekend, or parents if that's an option for you.

It's best to head out there with a backup plan, if something unfortunate such as a crash happens, how will you get home with no truck or car/trailer?
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:36 AM   #14
The Sooz

Bike(s):
2005 kx85 motard
2004 TTR-125L
2008 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
2005 Motobecane 300HT

I feel that you should always have someone to back you up--loading up or otherwise--hence my 85 situation I have run into the past 2 times I've been loading up and "ready to go".

I'm not that strong, and if the bike is heavier than me, once it is higher than me, I'm screwed.

At 8:00am on a Sunday, my neighbors are either cuz I dropped my bike, or they're at church.

Tie-downs SUCK.

That is my experience as of 8ish this am.

Sooz

The Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:02 AM   #15
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Does LSTD have anything planned near Houston?
We, LSTD, have an event on April 5th at TWS (Texas World Speedway). TWS (Texas World Speedway) is located in College Station/Bryan.
From my own personal experience... TWS (Texas World Speedway) is great for beginners. TWS (Texas World Speedway) FTW!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #16
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

What happens at a track day?

All the girls get naked and chase us
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #17
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
All the girls get naked and chase us
, what track days have you been attending?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 AM   #18
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxgirl View Post
Well www,nakedgirlstrackdays,com
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #19
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxgirl View Post
MSR Houston. That's how they roll
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #20
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
MSR Houston. That's how they roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by ileono918 View Post
Well www,nakedgirlstrackdays,com
I call bullsh!t on both of those statements.

Advertisement