Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related) > Stolen Bike Reports
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #41
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
4/22/12
noob
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RANT THREAD Jay Off Topic 33 07-09-2010 05:12 PM
GRRRR rant thread Lonestar Off Topic 140 04-13-2009 09:07 PM
Work rant thread gixxerbilly Off Topic 1 04-11-2009 08:49 AM
My rant thread AhmadHasib Off Topic 32 04-29-2008 07:13 AM
Work rant thread... Ulric Off Topic 35 03-12-2008 01:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #42
chevy42083

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
FC ins. and you have nothing to worry about. I do what I can to prevent theft, but Im not gonna go crazy watching it when Im out.
Yep. I'm not giving my bike away, but not gonna spend a fortune and waste time because some low life MIGHT decide to steal my bike... which is insured anyways.
I ride it everyday... it simply isn't worth the extra cost/time for a storage unit. For what a garage costs at an apartment, I could buy another bike.
I do however have it right out the window.

Lojack might be worth it... only to catch the theives... I don't want the bike back. It'll be damaged, and insurance will replace it anyways. I'd just want the theives charged... and hopefully off the streets.

BTW... I know this doesn't apply to all bikes. You don't ever see Ducs and Aprillias left out.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #43
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post

BTW... I know this doesn't apply to all bikes. You don't ever see Ducs and Aprillias left out.
I'm going to reckon that's because a dude that can afford a $22k toy can also afford to live at a place with a garage.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #44
mkgsxr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #45
sullivan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

Im curious, you recommend me not leaving my bike at the movies and to buy lo jack. Wouldn't someone or a team of people who steal bikes, acknowledge the fact that some bikes have lo jack and disable it or disconnect the battery. im not fully sure how lo jack works, but if someone wants to steal your car with a nice viper alarm system. they can get around that system if they want your car.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #46
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

True, but those that just chunk a bike into a pickup and take off will be caught off-gaurd.

And usually it's hidden a bit. As well as not really expected since most of us don't have it.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #47
sullivan

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
True, but those that just chunk a bike into a pickup and take off will be caught off-gaurd.

And usually it's hidden a bit. As well as not really expected since most of us don't have it.
Well I guess to find out, we would need to figure out how LoJack is installed. I guess its up to the installer on how secret the install is. But from what I just read, it gets power from the battery.

So unless lo jack had a back up battery, your out of luck.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #48
Yanni

Bike(s):
Yamaha V-Star 1100
Yamaha YZ450F
Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivan View Post
Well I guess to find out, we would need to figure out how LoJack is installed. I guess its up to the installer on how secret the install is. But from what I just read, it gets power from the battery.

So unless lo jack had a back up battery, your out of luck.
From the Lojack manual, FAQ section:

"Where does LoJack Early Warning® get its power from?

The unit obtains its power from the motorcycle’s battery. The LoJack
Early Warning® also has a back-up battery."

The early warning is what notifies you if the bike is moved without the keyfile present. I dont know if that paragraph means that "you'll still be notified the bike is moved, but we won't be able to find it" or that the whole system will keep being functional through the backup battery...

This got me puzzled, thought my lojack was running on its own battery, charging from my bikes battery. Might call them one of these days and make sure...
Yanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #49
sullivan

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanni View Post
From the Lojack manual, FAQ section:

"Where does LoJack Early Warning® get its power from?

The unit obtains its power from the motorcycle’s battery. The LoJack
Early Warning® also has a back-up battery."

The early warning is what notifies you if the bike is moved without the keyfile present. I dont know if that paragraph means that "you'll still be notified the bike is moved, but we won't be able to find it" or that the whole system will keep being functional through the backup battery...

This got me puzzled, thought my lojack was running on its own battery, charging from my bikes battery. Might call them one of these days and make sure...
Id be willing to bet, people who are looking for top dollar bikes know all about lo jack and what to do.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #50
Yanni

Bike(s):
Yamaha V-Star 1100
Yamaha YZ450F
Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Id be willing to bet, people who are looking for top dollar bikes know all about lo jack and what to do.
Oh yeah, I'm sure there's some "Gone in 60 seconds" "professional" thieves out there.

But there's also cases of a few guys with a pick up truck, probably f*cked up on drugs and an IQ of (-50) combined between them, thats where lojack, alarms, chains etc come to play.

On the other hand, lojack costs about as much as a years worth of insurance (maybe more depending on each ones rates) and discount isn't that great if u have it installed. I am not sure any more if its worth it unless you plan on having only liability or you feel your bike is not replaceable...
Old 04-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #51
MetalMech

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2010 Honda CBR 1,000RR
2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1,300 Hayabusa

Check out "Drone".......I have one, it has GPS , can pinpoint the EXACT location of the bike!
MetalMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #52
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Im curious, you recommend me not leaving my bike at the movies and to buy lo jack. Wouldn't someone or a team of people who steal bikes, acknowledge the fact that some bikes have lo jack and disable it or disconnect the battery. im not fully sure how lo jack works, but if someone wants to steal your car with a nice viper alarm system. they can get around that system if they want your car.
most bike thieves arent "professionals". just random low lives that dont know their from their elbow. and if they did disconnect the batter, the lo jack system will run under its own power for a while.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #53
MetalMech

Bike(s):
2010 Honda CBR 1,000RR

Drone my friends.......DRONE........I am looking at the precise location of my bike right now Via "Blue Dot".......It's in the shop.....Errrr.....a few mods;-)))
Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #54
sullivan

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

Here is a bike, that had lo jack and was stolen

Sounds like Lo Jack wasn't able to help him, as he stated:

Quote:
Had lojack but it's useless for motorcycles... by the time it's activated from the police report chances are it's already been found.

On a car, lo jack could be in a thousand places, motorcycle you have very few spots.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #55
Yanni

Bike(s):
Yamaha V-Star 1100
Yamaha YZ450F
Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMech View Post
Drone my friends.......DRONE........I am looking at the precise location of my bike right now Via "Blue Dot".......It's in the shop.....Errrr.....a few mods;-)))
Well, besides the fact that you need to pay a monthly or annual subscription for all GPS products out there, I think they are more useless than lojack IMO because
1) it is equally easy to find the device on the bike, if not easier.
2) They do not cooperate with the police in any way, you have to call it in or try to recover it yourself which would be pretty stupid and dangerous
and
3) GPS does not work everywhere. If your bike goes into a garage/basement or some other place that it can't triangulate the position, you're screwed. There's a better chance with lojack cause it uses RFID, practically transmitting through everywhere, but it doesn't work with exact position; its more like a device that tells you how close you are to the transmitter.

Quote:

On a car, lo jack could be in a thousand places, motorcycle you have very few spots.
That is true. But I think thats why they give you the Early Warning feature that cars dont have. The faster you go check on your bike, the faster u can report it and then it all comes down to how fast the police is willing to start looking. One should have a few hours from the time the bike gets stolen to the time it is taken to another location and they take it apart to find the lojack.

I dont know exactly how it works with the police though. Does any officer who happens to be in the area get a notification there's a stolen bike nearby, or does a specific unit have to go out and look? If its the second, yeah, chances are slim....

Last edited by Yanni; 04-27-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #56
MetalMech

Bike(s):
2010 Honda CBR 1,000RR

If the degree (angle) of my bike changes while it's armed/parked, my phone (iPhone 4) starts ringing with the alert instantly............and out comes the 40.
And if the thieves are able to get the bike away......The GPS will lead directly to them (in Real Time)......To get to the 2 sensors, one must completely remove the tail section , and the entire nose ........its a little pricey , but worth every penny!

Advertisement