MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Echo4Hotel

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Echo4Hotel
After first track day questions

1. Guys with the big boats as feet (unlike Tim's little girlie feet that match his rims), any advice on foot position to get that sucker turned out better? I love seeing the pictures because they give feedback that is so counter to what I felt as I was riding. My leg was just not out as far as it should have been and I think part of that is my lack of flexibility mixed with not being able to get that foot around without hitting my heel on the rearset. Hmmm, do they make 2 foot long pegs?

2. Are you constantly adjusting your up and back position after each turn/series of turns to keep the upper torso down? I found that when going in on the brakes I would slide up to the tank and then would feel too upright, do I just slide my back then to keep my upper body down? Maybe it's my gut... nah, couldn't be it

3. Is hand position on the grips a personal preference, or is there a position that is recommended to allow for the best balance of extension and control when trying to get off the seat? All the way up to the hilt, down by the bar ends, etc.

4. Later in the day my body position got more sloppy as I got more fatigued. My assumption is that it will build up over time, but is there anything you do to help keep yourself sharp in that area?

I'm sure there will be more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Echo4Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
track day questions from a first timer. monstermanus Taking it to the Track 8 01-14-2013 09:52 PM
Questions about first track day. plummer Taking it to the Track 34 03-01-2011 03:34 PM
Track day questions silversurfer Ridesmart Motorcycle School 5 10-23-2010 08:23 PM
First Timer(squid) Track Day Questions Slick23 Taking it to the Track 21 03-04-2009 01:05 AM
Track bike questions.... Neversatisfied02 General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 03-15-2007 12:16 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

I am no instructor, but here is some advice and knowledge I have gleaned from the fast guys:

1. Swivel your hips more in the seat to get your knee out. Also be sure you are riding on the of your feet!! Your ankle/heel should be pressed up against the ankle guard on the rearset

2. Use your legs. Buy a bike to strengthen your thighs. DO NOT use your arms to "pull" yourself back into position. This WILL cause headshake.

3. Grips. Personal preferrence. I know Vortrex makes longer grips/clipons

4. Tie a string to from your zipper to tank. This will ensure you are not getting lazy with your chest up. If your zipper is down at the end of the session, you were lazy.

5. Get a notebook. After each session go in and make some entries. Tire pressure, suspension changes, lines, weak/strong parts of the track. That way you can chart your progress.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Spidermonkey
TTD's home grown

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650 trackbike/08 zx6 sold(i loved it)/ 08 R6 (head shakes!)

trackdays: 98

work out, riding a bike hard demands a physicaly fit body. thats what i do and it helps alot
Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
navigator
Senior Citizen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

I'm gonna put my .02 in not because I'm the most knowledgeable but because I find your questions interesting and I have spent time thinking about this stuff on my own behalf.

1. I have big feet too. There isn't much you can do about it but ride with the of your feet on the pegs unless you are shifting gears. Moving around on the bike and keeping your weight where it should be is best done with your weight on the of your feet. You can get your knee out further by getting further off the bike but body size and shape will somewhat limit this too. Us bigger guys ain't ever gonna replicate the spider monkey riding style.

2. When I first started riding I sat right in the middle of the bike. I just leaned with it until I drug parts or ran out of tire. Then I started doing track days and they taught me how to get off the side of the bike. From there I found out that I had to move forward to keep the front wheel down when hard on the throttle in lower gears. Then as I began to brake deeper into the corners I was taught to move my back on the seat and use my feet to stay there. This also helped unload the front tire and increase my corner speed. So, I guess what I'm saying is the faster I ride, the more I have to move around to help the bike do its thing.

3. I don't know of any rule that applies to this. For me it is more natural to keep my hands to the inside of the grips. I usually rest my forearm across the gas tank when getting off the side of the bike. I use 2 fingers for the clutch and 1 for the brake.

4. You body position will improve with practice. You will get stronger and less fatigued as you get into riding shape. As time goes on, you will also be more relaxed and use less effort. Then you will start going even faster and it will work your some more. Bicycling and any core strengthening exercises will help.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:18 AM   #5
Echo4Hotel

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo4Hotel View Post
1. Guys with the big boats as feet (unlike Tim's little girlie feet that match his rims), any advice on foot position to get that sucker turned out better? I love seeing the pictures because they give feedback that is so counter to what I felt as I was riding. My leg was just not out as far as it should have been and I think part of that is my lack of flexibility mixed with not being able to get that foot around without hitting my heel on the rearset. Hmmm, do they make 2 foot long pegs?
I have size 12 feet and this used to be a problem for me too until I realized that I had poor positioning on the pegs and could have benefited from some rearsets (other than stock). Try to stick to the of your feet on the pegs.

As far as sticking the leg out, I'm not sure what the issue is there without seeing you, but don't worry so much about that. Ride comfortably, don't worry about exaggerated body positions. Being relaxed and comfortable on your ride is more important than someone else's perception of what a "good" body position is. Seat time will change the way you ride and you'll develop your own style that gets you around the track.
Quote:
2. Are you constantly adjusting your up and back position after each turn/series of turns to keep the upper torso down?
Sometimes. If you watch the pros, they're constantly moving forward, back, side to side, etc. Of course it's very purposeful for them and I don't pretend to be able to ride to their level, but it's common to move about on the seat. G forces will bring you forward in your seat. Remember, unlike street riding, you're not planting yourself to gripping the tank with both knees and sitting on the seat as much. Your weight should be on the pegs. With that said, it's natural to move about on the seat.

Again, track time will help with this issue. If this was your first track day, don't try to fix everything at once.
Quote:
3. Is hand position on the grips a personal preference, or is there a position that is recommended to allow for the best balance of extension and control when trying to get off the seat? All the way up to the hilt, down by the bar ends, etc.
There is a technique I use to position my hands on the controls. Having controls that are adjustable are essential here, if you can't rotate the clipons out or in, then there's no need to even bother with it. As far as physical position on the grips, I think mine are physically right on the inside/ middle of the grip. Again though, the best way to affect leverage on the bars is to have adjustable clipons.
Quote:
4. Later in the day my body position got more sloppy as I got more fatigued. My assumption is that it will build up over time, but is there anything you do to help keep yourself sharp in that area?
Bicycle riding, best conditioning you can do for motorcycle riding.

Fatigue is natural, don't sweat that- you're likely doing things on the bike in ways you never have before and for longer periods of time.

Welcome to the addiction!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

twist your hips and point them toward the direction of the turn along with your head. When I first tried this it made keeping speed in the turns much easier.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Echo4Hotel

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Thanks Tom and NHGSXR. I don't want to correct it all at once, but it seems to me that body position is one of the most important things so thought I would explore the items in it that I can tell for sure were not good.

There is a picture with me and 99Chris in a turn together, I can tell that his hips are more turned out and mine are pointed towards the tank, telling tale. I was probably getting my inside cheek off the seat but not actually opening up the hips.

On the feet I was trying to keep about 1/3 of my boot width off the peg to the outside so I would have that extra space to pivot, constantly I would find them hugged back up to the bike and have to readjust. That's okay, it will come like you said.

Thanks folks
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

some may even know this guy

Last edited by rc51eviltwin; 03-24-2009 at 10:21 AM.
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
99 Chris
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000

User is banned

99 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
Echo4Hotel

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

The obsession over improvement never stops does it?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
The obsession over improvement never stops does it?
Nope!! I got my first hit off the track pipe too and its alwayz on my noggin!!
Actin like a fiend for that next hit!!!

Advertisement