MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #21
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Welcome to MH

Motorcycles Unlimited is located on the north side of town, near FM1960 and Hwy 45.

My Personal Opinion -

1st get your safety gear in order

2nd make sure the bike is up on it's maintenance, I believe Motorcycles Unlimited does this for free. No point in spending your money on a sprocket when you've got a chain that is about to fall off, etc..

3rd Get enough seat-time on the bike to be comfortable doing whatever it is that makes you keep riding. your profile says 4-8 months so you should be pretty comfortable on the bike, and probably pushing yourself some. Be comfortable while taking corners, while at the same time realize that the faster you do anything on a bike, the more likely you are to need to react evasively to an unexpected reaction to your new-found speed. Know what to do if you come across some sand on the road. Know what to do if your wheelie comes a little too high. Know what to do if that car in your rearview mirror doesn't see you slowing for a turn.

4th Get the bike set up for YOU. This means adjust the bike to where it is set up for your body, not "Average Joe". This can mean adjusting several things on the bike, such as the rotation of your levers, the reach to your clutch and brake lever, the height of your brake pedal and shifter, etc. This should also include setting up the bike's suspension for your weight, your body position on the bike, and properly adjusting the suspension's damping for your riding style.

5th Make any changes to the suspension that would be required to allow the bike to handle the road to the best of it's ability. If you're a 250Lb dude, then you should know right off the bat that your bike is not going to handle correctly as it sits off the showroom floor. The factories make compromises in how they set up the suspension, this is why it is adjustable; so that you are able to get your money's worth out of that high-performance motorcycle.

Just a note, I did write 1,2,4,&5, then went back and added 3 as an after-thought.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
...sometimes it's the little things... Ulric General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 10-21-2010 08:09 AM
Things...may...be looking up txferrari Off Topic 16 11-04-2008 11:22 AM
3 Things to Think About: NoFear Off Topic 2 02-29-2008 09:14 PM
do stupid things, stupid things happen to you RACER X Off Topic 16 10-02-2006 06:58 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #22
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillInTime View Post
Your joking right?
uuuumh, yeah sure
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

What CaligoneTX said.

Also one of the first things I do is install a quality shift light.
I go with Dynatek Shift Minder.

1) It will light at the correct RPM you set.

I find that Factory tachs are typically off just like factory Speed O's

2) You can see it.

Typically I set it 500 RPM below red line this allows time to shift and you fall to a meater part of the torque curve.

Helps to keep you from lossing time hiting a rev limiter too.

Good Luck
Old 03-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #24
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
Upgrade thr rider, then the bike. Start with some trackdays, then you'll see exactly where you need to spend your money.
i'm gonna have to agree with gazuki on this one
all the mods u think u need riding on the st will give u buyer's remorse. get on the track and you'll find out exactly what to spend ur money on first
Old 03-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #25
level5
moving chicane

I agreed with ileono. If power is what you are after then sell the 750 and get a liter bike or the big boys toy, busa/zx14. Other than performance, I would go with Godsuki, upgrade the rider.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #26
KIX

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750

Thanks for all the info guys. I am planning on getting in some track days this summer to upgrade my rider skills and getting the best gear available. I'll stop by Motorcycles Unlimited maybe this weekend and have them check out the bike and look at my suspension. I was mainly asking the question because I didn't want to get so used to my bike's stock setup that once any mod was made I'd have to begin my learning curve all over again. Great info guys again thanks
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement