MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Brian f.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Check your tire gauge

Had an interesting revelation yesterday at the track. Set my tires with my guage and go out for first session. Check off track and back on warmers, still good.

Checked them after third session with the ambient temps up and sun out, my friends pressure guage was close by so used it. Showed 5 psi more tha earlier.........YIKES. Go grab my guage, shows what i though was "appropriate psi," and 5 pounds different than friends.

Scrtach my head, take them both to John H. and he checks them both against his calibrator. Long and short my friends was within 0.5 lbs and mine was off 4.5 lbs!!!! He then comes and looks at my tires, hardly any wear b/c of the improper psi.

Use my friends to set the proper psi now, and magically...........knocked off 3 seconds off my lap times in the last 3 sessions, and now tire actually looks like its "being worked."

Lucky for me i'm slow otherwise i might have put myself on my head already. Stupid me, live and learn. So...................be sure you have a quality guage (thought i did) and/or get it checked out.
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$5.99 for Digital Tire Gauge tustah General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-18-2013 04:56 PM
what tire gauge do you guys use? Jason73 Taking it to the Track 19 01-07-2010 11:26 AM
Tire gauge question crzy88 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 07-27-2009 12:53 PM
What tire pressure gauge do you use? GIXXERKELLY Taking it to the Track 7 03-06-2009 12:12 PM
What type of air pressure gauge do you check your tires with??? xdeviousdavex General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 04-09-2008 11:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob65 View Post
Yeah, always buy really nice high quality gauges.
worth the money and makes alot of difference

x2

Honestly, after that bit of info, i really felt like a lucky s.o.b.? I could have hurt myself and not known why
Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
orchard

Feedback Rating: (1)

I carry gauges that are calibrated within +/- .05% if anyone would like to get one. just send me a PM

I bought one at cycle gear just to see how close it was. Took it back to the lab and it was 3 psi off.

3 psi is HUGE on the track.
orchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

ok so could someone post brand, make and model (maybe even the UPC code) of a high quality gauge?

or is it just buy a few take them somewhere and find out which one are properly calibrated?

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Most of the best high dollar gauges are sold for auto racing, very few gear sales towards bikes. That's a good place to begin your search for one.

I use a digital gauge I got from a mechanic friend of mine years ago- still accurate after 3 or so years of use.

My teammate on the other hand, uses one of those old style everyone's dad used to carry in the glove box- you know, the ones that look like a silver pen? The gauge is pushed out by the pressure to give you a reading. Anyway, his $5 gauge is accurate to .5lb and has been for the past 2 years.

Mine cost $40... I don't know what they retail for, but I'll get the brand name off it.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

I carry a liquid filled gauge for $60. They are made by Intercomp for a independent distributor. I've had mine for almost 2 years and it is still within 1/2 pound.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
I carry a liquid filled gauge for $60. They are made by Intercomp for a independent distributor. I've had mine for almost 2 years and it is still within 1/2 pound.
Dang, I didn't know you sold those! SWEEET!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

hope that's not the same gauge you use for the rear slicks on the drag car. Loose 4.5 lbs and the rims would be on the ground
Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
Nachozx10r

I know Motion Pro make some nice ones that are really accurate too.
Nachozx10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
hope that's not the same gauge you use for the rear slicks on the drag car. Loose 4.5 lbs and the rims would be on the ground
Dont bet your life on it. The guages we use for the racecar is a 5 inch low pressure tire guage that dosnt even read above 15 psi, and for flowing the nitrous sytems is the same and both are kept in seprate sealed sealed with with foam padding cut for each gauge

Old 03-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Wow.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
MacMan
S. McNamara LSTD Mob Boss

Bike(s):
2006 KTM950SM, 1996 Harley-Davidson FXDL

WE even write off .5 lbs over or under on the back of the guage for Jeff. :-)
Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
Had an interesting revelation yesterday at the track. Set my tires with my guage and go out for first session. Check off track and back on warmers, still good.

Checked them after third session with the ambient temps up and sun out, my friends pressure guage was close by so used it. Showed 5 psi more tha earlier.........YIKES. Go grab my guage, shows what i though was "appropriate psi," and 5 pounds different than friends.

Scrtach my head, take them both to John H. and he checks them both against his calibrator. Long and short my friends was within 0.5 lbs and mine was off 4.5 lbs!!!! He then comes and looks at my tires, hardly any wear b/c of the improper psi.

Use my friends to set the proper psi now, and magically...........knocked off 3 seconds off my lap times in the last 3 sessions, and now tire actually looks like its "being worked."

Lucky for me i'm slow otherwise i might have put myself on my head already. Stupid me, live and learn. So...................be sure you have a quality guage (thought i did) and/or get it checked out.
Good thing you weren't cookin out there or it could've been bad!! I bought mine fom Jegs for around 35.00, it has the pressure release valve and all that...
On a side note, its kinda relative, the dealer around me...wont say names....a couple of monthsback, I took my bike on for service, the mechanice "adjusted" my tire pressure in case I "really want to haul " to 40psi front and back!!!!!! Can you believe that!!! Anywayz, good post!

Advertisement