Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #21
speedismo
OCD for speed

Feedback Rating: (0)

I think its about having more confidence in the new bike, bcos u would have probably put some good things on.. but then... bcos u r still not as comfy in the saddle, chances of messing up increase.

and Carlos, I ran off wide in turn 4 too...almost went till the turn 5 cornerworking shed! but managed to keep it up this time.

and thanks Leo, i guess one learns a bit seeing all the quick guyz around. u should have seen that old guy on that ducati corse. boy, was he quick!
also, I ride the bike a LOT, 9000 miles in 6 months....

Travelomy:Simplify your travel.
speedismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Feb 6th recap Dr. Gonzo General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 02-08-2006 02:29 PM
LSTD: Monday, Feb. 6th @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) - Secure Online Registration opening Wednesday @ Noon! jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 22 02-04-2006 11:24 PM
LSTD TWS (Texas World Speedway) Feb 06 Lift required GZX6R Taking it to the Track 0 01-24-2006 02:48 PM
LSTD TWS (Texas World Speedway) Feb 06 Lift required GZX6R Taking it to the Track 0 01-24-2006 02:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #22
tschreck
It is what it is..

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR-750
C1400
YZ-80

Send a message via Yahoo to tschreck
Yeah, that was a LSTD that hasn't had that many accidents in over 3 years.
Just be thankful your all in good health to fix the bikes and do it again.
It's great to have met some of you and if not I'll see you at the MSR-H on the 24th!!!

I was that slow in the RED/White/BLUE SYED suit the said SCHRECK on the back.....I'm sure some of you passed me in the A group.:confused2
After the accidents started to happen more often I rode in B and C..just to get more track time.. Alot of accidents in the B group, way to many riders riding over there ability.

Last edited by tschreck; 02-07-2006 at 12:27 PM.
tschreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #23
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschreck
It's great to have met some of you and if not I'll see you at the MSR-H on the 24th!!!

I was that slow on the RED/White/BLUE SYED suit the said SCHRECK on the back.....I'm sure some of you passed me in the A group.:confused2
There are a couple of speed demons that hang out on here. What kind of times did you post this outing? Did the track ever come in?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #24
ends big egos

i think it was the rizzla suzuki. it was light blue replica of something
ends big egos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #25
ufo34
Carlos V

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
R.I.Pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonR1
it seems like when someone does something kinda big to their bikes they wind up crashing afterwards, I'm kinda worried about going next time..
Henry, new bike= crashes this year
Carlos, new bike= crashes this year
Moody, new plastics= crashes last year.

and it always happens the first time out.
I dont know if i want to put those track skins on my R1 now... ?!?!?!?!?!

what to do

lol, there easier to fix compare to oem's :icon_bigg

Last edited by ufo34; 02-07-2006 at 01:03 PM.
ufo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #26
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschreck

I was that slow in the RED/White/BLUE SYED suit the said SCHRECK on the back.....I'm sure some of you passed me in the A group.:confused2
After the accidents started to happen more often I rode in B and C..just to get more track time.. Alot of accidents in the B group, way to many riders riding over there ability.
I saw u out there. would have come up and said hi, but i was running for the class then. and yes B group had too many crashes. I moved to A in the last two sessions..apologies to those whom i held up :icon_bigg but i finally got to drag knee after getting some inspiration from the A riders!

Old 02-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #27
ufo34
Carlos V

Bike(s):
R.I.Pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by ends big egos
i think it was the rizzla suzuki. it was light blue replica of something

yes, it was Andy with the Rizla replica.
ufo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #28
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedismo
I saw u out there. would have come up and said hi, but i was running for the class then. and yes B group had too many crashes. I moved to A in the last two sessions..apologies to those whom i held up :icon_bigg but i finally got to drag knee after getting some inspiration from the A riders!
Congrats. TWS (Texas World Speedway) is kind of weird. You really have to be cruizing to drag knee. Depending on your style of course too.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #29
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

UPDATE ON ANDY AND TIM

Andy is in solid shape and his condition is not as serious as we had originally feared. We went by the hospital after the event and visited both Andy and Tim. Andy actually made a joke about getting stuff back together for his bike!! Tim will need some TLC on his right shoulder for a while and has some sore ribs and waist area, but all in all, ok and has checked out! :notworthy

The track never REALLY seemed to come in and no matter how we preached...

- Take it easy
- It's the first track day of the year
- You have ALL DAY

... some folks just don't seem to get it. Even after our second Rider's Meeting. Yes... accidents are just that... accidents, and nobody WANTS to crash, but.................

We are glad that of the off-track-excursions that did occur, only Andy and Tim needed a trip to the hospital. Although the sun was uninterrupted for about half the day... cool temps, adrenaline and a FIERCE wind definitely played a part. We would like to thank everyone who came out to ride and we appreciate those who gave us positive feedback on us doing what we could to handle issues that arose.

LSTD Staff member Scott Dennis summed it up well with this...

- "A" group was fairly quick yesterday, but very well-behaved. From my observations, passing was reasonable. There were some off-track excursions, but as a whole, everyone was pretty well in control.
- "C" group was actually very slow, but that's to be expected considering the track conditions. I only observed one session, but didn't see anything too out of line.
- "B" group... ah, where to start??? I talked to at least a dozen folks about various levels of stupidity throughout the day, and actually pulled guys off the track at one point to have polite but firm 'attitude correction' conversations. I know several other instuctors had similar experiences to mine, but it was all we could do to stay somewhat on top of things. I'm hoping it was just an off day, but we will definitely take active measures to make sure we don't have similar concerns at future events.

Agreed.

Last edited by jeffLSTD; 02-07-2006 at 01:10 PM.
jeffLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #30
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Congrats. TWS (Texas World Speedway) is kind of weird. You really have to be cruizing to drag knee. Depending on your style of course too.
i kinda agree. but 12 is such a quick turn and I was feeling pretty confident about it...so...
other than that ..maybe once in turn 5, but thats about it

Old 02-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #31
speedismo
OCD for speed

good to hear Andy and Tim r fine, Jeff. that stuff was kinda scary

Old 02-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #32
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffLSTD
UPDATE ON ANDY AND TIM

- "B" group... ah, where to start??? I talked to at least a dozen folks about various levels of stupidity throughout the day, and actually pulled guys off the track at one point to have polite but firm 'attitude correction' conversations. I know several other instuctors had similar experiences to mine, but it was all we could do to stay somewhat on top of things. I'm hoping it was just an off day, but we will definitely take active measures to make sure we don't have similar concerns at future events.

Agreed.
this is going to be a growing problem. w/ these i-net boards many more people are being encouraged to go do these trackdays to learn how to ride. which is great for their skill. the flip side is many of these newish riders somehow consider themselves to have the skills to be in B group w/o learning "the ropes" and very little conscious to the ramifications of their actions till it bites them or causes other off track to other riders.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:37 PM   #33
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

nice pics. a little far out but nice, what were you taking pics with? Camera phone.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #34
speedismo
OCD for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
this is going to be a growing problem. w/ these i-net boards many more people are being encouraged to go do these trackdays to learn how to ride. which is great for their skill. the flip side is many of these newish riders somehow consider themselves to have the skills to be in B group w/o learning "the ropes" and very little conscious to the ramifications of their actions till it bites them or causes other off track to other riders.
For once, I agree totally Ed! Do what you wanna do, but your comments sound way better when they dont have that 'lemon and salt" edge to them

Old 02-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #35
jeffLSTD

Bike(s):

Quote:
this is going to be a growing problem.
In all candor, I really don't think that this will be the case and feel that yesterday was indeed one of those days where a combination of ego, colder track conditions and cabin fever for track time resulted in more crashes.

This particular track day did see a higher than normal percentage of new riders at TWS (Texas World Speedway), but there have been other events where the ratio of new-to-repeat riders was greater, equal to, or less than Monday's event and the results were vastly different. My point being, new riders do not necessarily mean more crashes and there really isn't any rhyme of reason to it... unfortunately.

You can only polish a rock so much, but we as an orgainization will continue to hammer home the issue of rider etiquette and safety to all of our customers... even if they're not robots and we can't keep them on remote control. :BangHead:

Last edited by jeffLSTD; 02-07-2006 at 05:59 PM.
jeffLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #36
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

Quote:
we as an orgainization will continue to hammer home the issue of rider etiquette and safety to all of our customers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #37
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffLSTD
perfect example............passing on the "parade" lap, ill prepared corner workers........over his head.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:15 AM   #38
jeffLSTD

Bike(s):

Quote:
perfect example............passing on the "parade" lap, ill prepared corner workers........over his head.
"Over his head"... ? I'm sorry, what are you referring to?

Rider's missing the point of the Round Robin and passing each other is RARE to say the least. Typically, the folks with the least amount of track time tend to pay attention the most because the track can be somewhat itimidating so they want to get it right, etc. Sometimes a rider misses the point.

For the most part, cornerworkers do their job and it is up to the PERSON to follow our guidelines and we make sure we address any questions, etc. Sometimes, in the instance of a crash, a CW'er can get excited and take a few seconds longer to actually call out the corner they are in and/or where a crash has taken place. On Monday this happened once during a particular crash. Again... this is few and far between.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:08 AM   #39
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
hey ed, i read that kids post... and somehow i just don't get the idea that b/c he passed everybody in the round robin he got bumped up... doesn't add up...

i think that was a sarcastic remark made by somebody... and now it's being treated as fact... gotta looooove the internet... :BangHead:

anyhoo... one guy ran wide between t6 and t7... the cornerwork (in his excitement) called out that there was a 'wreck on the straight'... not immediately realizing that there are two large straights @ TWS (Texas World Speedway)... immediately jerrel (track control) had the cornerworker calm down and verify his position and the ambulance was dispatched to his location... end of story... sometimes cornerworkers get in such a hurry to communicate that they've got a crash situation - they leave out the most important communication...

all this 'passed in the round robin got bumped up' bs aside... i will say that even though we had many redflags in 'b' - the 'c' group went crash free all day long...

but despite macman holding TWO riders meetings to focus on safety - some folks in the 'b' and 'a' still wrecked... sigh... it's always like this around the first of the year... i just hope oakhill isn't equally as cold/windy... :eh:

Last edited by SBK Pilot; 02-08-2006 at 01:13 AM.
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:19 AM   #40
Lobo

Bike(s):
2002 R6
2007 R1
2007 R6
Custom

Send a message via AIM to Lobo Send a message via Yahoo to Lobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz1moto
sometimes cornerworkers get in such a hurry to communicate that they've got a crash situation - they leave out the most important communication...

Yeap its not something you can teach,...... I still remember my first times out as a EMT and almost losing my calm.... now in situations I am so calm you would have to take my pulse to see if I am alive......

But all in all the more experience someone gets with situations and Radios the better they will get and the flow of information will be right on the money.

http://www.myspace.com/hyperspeedr6
48c8a880
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote