MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: When shoud I do a track day?
You're ready now. Do it. 32 82.05%
You need more seat time. 5 12.82%
You've got a long way to go. 1 2.56%
I've seen you ride. Stay home. 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Intrinzik

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
09 Daytona 675 (Tornato Red)

Send a message via Yahoo to Intrinzik
When should I do a track day?

I was planning on doing a track day in April - Novice class. A buddy of mine expressed some surprise and concern because I'm a new rider. He's never done a track day, though, and so I'd like your opinion.

I had a little riding experience before I bought my bike, have put nearly 800 miles on it since I bought it last month, and have done the forest ride twice during that time. I'm not looking to wreck or get hurt, though, so what do you think....do I have anything to worry about, or is my friend full of it?

Paintball in Houston, Tx
http://www.urbanwarzonepaintball.com
Intrinzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
RideSmart Track Day - ECR Extravaganza 2 - Aug 16-17, 2008 - $100/day + Prizes Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 27 08-18-2008 09:11 AM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Brena23
Mothernugget

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

we have had people come out with just a month or 2 experience. one girl that had only ridden in a parking lot and she is one of our better students because she didn't have to relearn anything. come when u are ready
Brena23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
level5
moving chicane

You are ready for the track when 90 mph is the speed you cruise on the street.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
depends how comfortable you are with your bike. you are there to LEARN....and what better place than to learn at the track.

i've only seen 1 case where we had to send a new rider home. he only rode for a few months prior to the trackday, and wrecked about 3 or 4 times in 1/2 a day because he wasn't comfortable with his bike, and was probably still trying to figure out which hand is brake, and which hand is the clutch.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Nah I wouldn't be worried, I can't wait for my first trackday. It's more of a riding class in the novice group and sounds like you get loads of experience from it! April 4th I'll be cornerworking at TWS (Texas World Speedway) for the Ride Smart event and it would be cool to meet you(and see that badass bike you have listed over there) and then redeeming my trackday credit hopefully April 25th at MSRH.

Hope to see you out there!

Wait how much riding experience do you have all together?
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Old 03-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
You are ready for the track when 90 mph is the speed you cruise on the street.
roooiiiiggghhtt
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

ur ready now. the best way to learn how to ride ur bike is on the track. think about it; no cops, no speed limit, no traffic (cars), on call medical attention just in case, an instructor to help lead you out there, answer ur questions, follow u to crutique u.

get out there!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Hey Josh, you'll know when you are ready. Did you go to MSR-H yesterday? If not, try to go and look during another TD, maybe even do the parade laps. If you feel happy after, well do a complete TD in novice.

BTW, check you hotmail, I sent you the route proposal.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileono918 View Post
Hey Josh, you'll know when you are ready. Did you go to MSR-H yesterday? If not, try to go and look during another TD, maybe even do the parade laps. If you feel happy after, well do a complete TD in novice.

BTW, check you hotmail, I sent you the route proposal.
That's a good suggestion. Ride to an event and check it out. Do some of the parade laps at lunch.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

while i was temped... i stuck with my first answer. you are ready. if you can go to the gas station and back without stalling or falling, you will be fine.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

You should be fine! Just when you do decide to do it make sure you talk to your instructor and let them know that you are a newbie! Not only to track but riding as well. Little bits of information like that the learning process easier. And do like Irak said. Go to a track day. Check it out and hang around the pits and ask questions. You will find that trackies are a very helpful group and don't mind newbies asking questions!

So go for it and have a blast!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Do it now!
I only had 3 months riding experience when I did my first TD this time last year with LMS. Buck Beasley and Larry Meyers and all those fast guys...but it was a novice day. Nonetheless, you're ready, just be sure to get into a novice group and absorb all that is offered.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 AM   #14
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
if you go now, just make sure you have an instructor that knows of your riding experience. you'll probably even have one of the instructors work with you most of the day or until you become comfortable with the track and the lines you need to take. people will probably pass you, but everyone gets passed. ive seem some really slow people out there and they still have a TON of fun (i know because i'm one of them! )
Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
If you have any interest in being fast on a race track go ASAP. The sooner you get there the fewer street-riding habits you'll have to break!
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #16
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

people have said it before, and I'll say it again ... you'll learn more in one day at the track than a whole year just riding the streets ... primarily because you have instructors to help you out.

A lot of people then say ... but you don't ride the street like you ride the track ... true ... but it's the confidence you'll build in both yourself and your bike that's going to really help you out on the streets.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
while i was temped... i stuck with my first answer. you are ready. if you can go to the gas station and back without stalling or falling, you will be fine.
^^^
what he said.

as far as what your friend says.
i really hate it when people are so negative about something they they nothing of.
i personally live 4 hours away from the nearest track,everyone i spoke to about the track said the same.
"its too fast for you"
"you need a full on race bike,safety wire and all"
"you have to get a license"
"you will get ragged on for goinf too slow"
all i got to say about people who say this is "STFU IF YOU DONT KNOW"
come out and have a blast,be prepared to be addicted .........
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #18
TrevorC

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
08 Kawasaki ZX10

Member Garage

I did my very first track day at Texas World Speedway after riding for about 5-6 months total, it is very friendly to new riders as its so wide, and such.
TrevorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
bignissan

Bike(s):
09 Harley Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
people have said it before, and I'll say it again ... you'll learn more in one day at the track than a whole year just riding the streets ... primarily because you have instructors to help you out.

A lot of people then say ... but you don't ride the street like you ride the track ... true ... but it's the confidence you'll build in both yourself and your bike that's going to really help you out on the streets.

I rode for a few years before going to my first track day. I was hooked after the first lap. MOST people you see on the street don't know the limits of there bike and what it can really do, which I feel is one of the more common reasons for crashing. The track is the BEST place to know what you can really handle so when you're on the street and something happens, you know how to control that thing you're on. I did a track day in pouring down rain on my "beater" bike just so I could see how far I could push it in those conditions...it's impressive to say the least!
bignissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #20
Echo4Hotel

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Echo4Hotel
In the novice class this last weekend I had the least experience of everyone and I didn't feel out of place. It was a great experience and I enjoyed every second of it. You will not be called out or shamed by anyone there. The instructors even reorganized the groups after a couple of sessions so that people who felt like they were pushing their limits with the early sessions did not feel pushed to go too fast or ride over their heads in the later sessions. They will try to get you to push what you see as your limits, but they do it in an instructional way, not in a "my junk is bigger than your junk" way. They want to show you what you are capable of on your machine if you apply yourself to learning it. There were some people who got instructor attention almost the whole day because they felt more comfortable that way and the instructors are there to help. There were others who took the afternoon sessions to go out on their own and work on things. Even the more experienced advanced riders who were not instructing were helpful in the pits. They watched and gave feedback to the less experienced riders. No need to wait in my opinion.
Echo4Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement