Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
pelochas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R

installed new tires and changed oil/filter....now bike has the buzz

installed new tires and changed oil/filter....now bike has the buzz

2004 636 with 9000 miles...my bike is buzzing or vibrating ..lol...after 5000 rpms..didnt experience this before...on my old set of tires, i would get this vibration/buzzing only when i hitting above 100mph...dont recall what the rpms were before the buzz were noticable

i like diy, bought two pitbull stands, new tires, new oil, new filter

so i changes out my tires...i took the wheels off...drop them off at my local bike shop...Sunny's on Spencer hwy in Pasadena, TX..great place..wheels and new tires ready in about 45 minutes

put the tires back on...forgot to buy the torque wrench...skip the torque wrench..probably the cause of all problems

changed out the old Rotellat Semi Synthetic oil (white jug) and Puralator filter.. added new Rotella 5w-20 Full Synthetic (blue jug) and new Puralotor "gold 99%" filter

been riding for a couple of weeks. i notice or hear a screeching metal noise..like if the brake pad is barely touching the brake disc and its makes this teeeny high pitch metal noise.. i put the bike on the stands again. spin the tire and its spins freely.

riding yesterday...the buzzng/vibration becomes very noticable after 5000 rpms..it feels like riding with no gloves..

so what should i check..take the wheels off and send them to check the balance. oil not good for the bike..filter?
wheels not align..needs string aligment?
new plugs?

thanks for the help!
pelochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to procure oil/oil filter? Smart Shark General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 02-13-2012 01:13 PM
Where do you get your bike oil filter from? cuong-nutz How To's and Q & A's 23 05-03-2011 07:24 AM
installed new tires and changed oil/filter....now bike has the buzz pelochas General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 03-19-2009 02:03 PM
Changed Oil now drain plug is leaking zeroshifta How To's and Q & A's 28 01-24-2009 11:19 PM
changed oil....light still on? tonkatrucks40 How To's and Q & A's 7 11-10-2008 03:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Smurfzilla

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'06 CBR600RR

Sounds like wheels need balancing. The brake issue may be something completely different, but he vibration/buzzing sounds like wheel balance.
Smurfzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
TexasYZF600R
Ya.Ma.Ha.

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2oo5 Yamaha R6
2oo4 Yamaha YZF600R (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelochas View Post
put the tires back on...forgot to buy the torque wrench...skip the torque wrench..probably the cause of all problems
That might not be the problem , but it could turn into one. I would recommend buying a torque wrench for later use though.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

My first thought was the buzziness might just be a lose fairing/cowling.
But you say it is a buzziness/vibration flet through the handle bars.

I would guess a vibration of high enough frequency to be called buzzy, could be brake or chain related (Tire balancing OK could be but I would think that vibration would be more of a shaking type vibration not buzzy type)

1) Check the chain again correct tension, and double check the wheel is straight with front and rear spocket in proper alignment.

2) Ride the bike when the Buzzy starts lightly apply the brakes while holding the speed and rpm, if the buzziness changes look towards the brakes as the problem. (Could be brakes especially if for some reason you removed the pads during the operation)

Well thats my guess.

Good Luck
Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
pelochas

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R

ok i posted this yesterday

I did some tests on my way home
When accelerating its buzzing
When I up to speed of 80 I pull in the clutch fully and no acceleration it felt fine no buzz and free
Had the same result with engine off
But I do get the buzz when I had the clutch lever all in and rev the engine above 9000 rpms
I fear that I have mechanical issues or could it be just the oil or chain. What could the problem

------------------------------

today on my way to work i rev up till my shift light came on...i think it was around 12000 rpms..i doing about 110 mph on the freeway

the buzziness goes away

so something is out of balance or not in harmony..hehe

when i reduce speed the buzziness comes back..so anytime i at 7000 rpms thru 10000 rpms i have this problem. the gas tanks, the handle bars, i beleive my foot pegs, just starts buzzing

as for cleaning the chain, it was clean while the wheels were off and cleaned again when wheels were put back on. there is one problem on the chain i forgot to mention. a couple of links were very sticky, they just dont go around the gear smoothly like the other links, you can actually hear when that part of the chain bumps the gear

i hope i can figure this out and actually fix it.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
MadMax143

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Just a stab in the dark here...

Re-check your oil level. After replacing the oil & filter, I'm sure you filled it up to the proper level...but after running the bike, the new filter will absorb a good amount of oil (causing your level to drop).

Again...just a blind stab in the dark...
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
pelochas

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R

i usually fill the oil filter up with new oil and let it sit and absorb. then add some more and quickly install it.

i have not taken the wheels off to recheck the balancing but i still do have the problem with the bike sitting still

its just weird that the buzzing only happens within the range of 7000 to 10000 rpms.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
DLSGAP
Whats the "Dragon"

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'11 FZ8

it could be the type of oil. some oils have a thicker viscosity than others despite having the same cold/hot numbers. I tmay be causing some vibration in your valves... OR.. its possible that you had an issue before the oil change and its just now being noticed

If you havent had it done yet with 9k on the clock, I would do a valve adjustment and check your timing chain. if the timing chain is a bit loose, this could contribute to your intermittant vibration.
DLSGAP is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement