MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

So... Eagle's Canyon...

Well, I finally saw the downside to this track. Not that I wouldn't ride it again 'cause I will and will look forward to it too, but man it's not a happy place to be cold and wet.

One thing's for sure, if it's wet, you HAVE to ride rains. No skimpin' with DOT's here if you want to turn any respectable laps. On rains, the track is tolerable and it's possible to ride well. On DOT's, it just seems really tough to get comfortable even though the tires can probably do more.

Even with rains though the sealer patches are slick, you just have to take lines that take you off those patches is all.

Seems the smaller riders with minis were doing fine on DOTs though... I'll never know what that's like.

Here's the deal for me, ECR dry/ hot: funnnnnnn track that is a whoot to ride fast! Wet/ cold... hmmm, not so fun.

One thing is for sure though, it absolutely fits the paradigm of the new tracks, and you can definitely hone your craft to be a smoother/ better rider when it's wet.

When this track is hot/ dry, it ranks right up there for me as one of my favorite tracks, but it'll never top MSR (the only real MSR in Cresson) as my favorite in Texas!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOTEL for Eagle's Canyon/TTD 7-5/7-6 ? Pre-K Taking it to the Track 5 07-02-2008 02:24 AM
Some Pics from Eagle's Canyon bubby Taking it to the Track 20 04-17-2008 07:55 AM
EAGLE'S CANYON ROLL CALL!!! houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 48 06-12-2007 04:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

It was awful. I love that track too. What a shame to have to ride there like that. Was really tricky, I made it however. Fight another day, a dry and hot one, hopefully.

Last edited by Turnerscasa; 03-17-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Essentially it is a track that has low mechanical grip. It is easy on tires in general. Unfortunatly that translates to a sketchy track in cold & wet conditions. The worst are the patches. Even at the end of the day Sunday, the patches were like ice. Riders were having to adhust their lines to get around the patches.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I love ECR...although I'd hate it in the rain/cold, but that would be true of any track for me.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
aarongore

Bike(s):
SV650, ZX7RR

It plain sucked!! I fought the DOT's for the first hour and fifteen minutes. The sealer patches might as well have had axle grease on them! Austin crashed new paint job and helmet. Two years without any rain races but we're paying for it this year. I hope TWS (Texas World Speedway) is warm and dry!!!!
aarongore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
so i'm taking notes... corner work on rainy cold days and ride on the hot ones lol
Let us knows which day is rainy and we all can ride on the dry days.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
you da man

Experience: 7 years

Would street tires (i.e.-Diablo Corsa III or Pilot Powers) been a good idea in those conditions with the added silica in the compound vs DOT race tires?
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by you da man View Post
Would street tires (i.e.-Diablo Corsa III or Pilot Powers) been a good idea in those conditions with the added silica in the compound vs DOT race tires?
I wouldn't think it helps especially you are running at a crazy pace vs a sane person on the street riding conservatively in the wet. Maybe someone has experience with riding a street tires on the wet track would chime in to tell us if it helps.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
will do
I was kidding, and hope you are too.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
you da man

Experience: 7 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
I wouldn't think it helps especially you are running at a crazy pace vs a sane person on the street riding conservatively in the wet. Maybe someone has experience with riding a street tires on the wet track would chime in to tell us if it helps.
I've ran 6 wet trackdays (4 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and 2 at Cresson) with rain tires (Pirelli and Dunlops). At TWS (Texas World Speedway) the rains were fun and you could run a pretty decent pace. Cresson is still sketchy at best even with wets on. I"ve also done 3-4 damp/drizzle trackdays at TWS (Texas World Speedway) with Diablo Corsa several years ago and before my racing days. I will say that riding in the wet/damp conditions on the track for a street rider is a great learning experience.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by you da man View Post
I will say that riding in the wet/damp conditions on the track for a street rider is a great learning experience.

yes,maybe a good way to learn how to get good at body work and quicker on part replacement.
but on a serius note,i do believe that riding in the wet can be helpful to get smoother on and off throtle.if youre a late braker youre also gonna have to adjust IMHO.
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
the only thing i learned riding in the rain/cold was how to try and keep blood and warmth flowing through my hands. i spent the few laps in the rain just trying not to crash.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Old 03-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

here is my link...

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/m...203%2013%2009/
Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
and that looks like so much fun....crazy people
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #16
Mongrel

Bike(s):
SV650

I did a total of 6 laps on Friday. Even with rains on the track had very poor grip. Sunday morning was exciting with the water running across the track. I still did pretty well, with a 4th in Lightweight twins, 1st in D superstock, and a 3rd in D superbike. I was well off my pace but was pleased with the results. Overall ECR is a very nice track and the owners seem to want to correct the problems that do exist. I for one am going to keep supporting them.
CMRA #161 RRSW (CCS) #61
Mongrel Racing
Faith69
Roof Helmets
Dunlop Tires
Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote