MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already

Feedback Rating: (0)

I went and spoke to 200+ highschool kids today.....

about motorcycle and driving safety, i shared my story of my wreck and the day to day struggles that i now endure.

The teacher that contacted me to speak sent me this e-mail:

I wanted to make sure I touched base with you before spring break begins. I have spoken to several of my students about your presentation and have gotten similar responses from all of them; amazed, touched, inspired, and changed. They have mentioned
how much it means to them that you were so honest, several of them (mostly boys) have admitted to being moved to tears or close to it, and almost all of them have agreed that you have changed their perceptions of safe driving. They feel like they see
now how one decision can change the rest of your life. They see how important it is to make good decisions.

The adults on campus agree that what you had to say is appropriate for our students and will make a profound difference in their lives.

For all of this, I just want to say thank you once again. I cannot extend enough appreciation to you for sharing your story with all of us at Anderson-Shiro. You are a wonderful person and a blessing to all those that listen.

Thanks again and enjoy your weekend.

Its nice to know that even with a tragic moment like that happening in my life, that i was able to hopefully get through to some kids
Gimpin2Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broke 200 today obed Health and Fitness 22 08-21-2013 07:21 PM
kids today, you have it EASY! FKNA Off Topic 42 04-01-2010 10:07 PM
Pics of the wife and kids today... Solracer Off Topic 11 03-19-2007 07:48 AM
kids today.... flip326 Off Topic 3 10-01-2006 07:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

I am pretty sure your story has touched many people all over and made them thing about their actions. I know when I first joined MH and read your thread in it's entirety it definitely had a impact on me. Out of something tragic you have brought about much good towards others. For that I have much respect for you man.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Echo4Hotel

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Echo4Hotel
I don't know your situation, but I know that everyone makes mistakes, it's how we learn and what we do with those mistakes that shows our true character. Sounds like you have some good character to me. Glad it touched them and hope it touches you too.
Echo4Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
for those that don't Gimpin or his life changing moto accident...

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9359

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9428

Last edited by dbuck; 03-13-2009 at 02:07 PM.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

good job mang.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
skmart2
Stephanie

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

as cliche' as this sounds, everything does happen for a reason. you were spared through your event and i am positive that you have saved many young people just by provoking their thought process and making them aware of how much life can change in just a split second.

i have never met you before, but after reading your story i can tell you it definitely made an impact on my life.

thank you for sharing your story with all of us as well as the many others you get to speak in front of
Old 03-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Stacy
One day at a time!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
99 Ninja 250
04 Honda f4i

Couldn't agree more with Ryan. You're story of survival not only touched me in regards to riding, but also helped me deal with one of the hardest things that as a parent I had to watch my youngest son go through. Seeing how you were able to suvive and carry on after a douple amputation, and managed to be able to keep your humor about it helped me when they amputated his first leg. After spring break, we're having to have his other leg amputated. If I hadn't been blessed with the opportunity to talk with you and see how you dealt with yours, I'm not sure I would have had the strength to endure watching my son go through this. Nor would I be sure of how to talk with him about it. Granted your two stories are different, but the end result is similar enough. I probably never said it before, but I thank you for sharing with me and talking with me about the impact the amputations had on your life and how to deal with them. You really are truely an inspiration to many of us!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Echo4Hotel

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Echo4Hotel
Wow, I have three daughters and can't imagine seeing that happen to any of them. The recount in the article of your dads reaction made my heart jump. What an amazing story on all accounts. Glad you are around to share it with us.
Echo4Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Unleaded_Buell
Long Stroke; Low RPM

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Buell XB9

Member Garage

I did that once, but it was community service and one of the kids saw that I was just hiding my arm behind my back. Didn't turn out near as well.

Thanks for helping out the kiddos and congrats on the glowing feedback. You're in a unique position to get through to them and while we all like to think we'd do the same it takes some guts.

, you could be the next Tony Robbins!

Timidi mater non flet.
Unleaded_Buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
reading that first thread brought back a lot of memories. . .It also made me realize how fast life changes and how often people come and go. Some way cool OG's posting in that thread that are no longer around. . .
Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Bean
you like apples?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

Great to hear bro. Keep up the good work.

You didn't happen to show them the leg trick? Where you swing it around so your shoe sole becomes a beer perch?
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
Very cool!

Have you done a lot of public speaking like that before? High school kids can be very judgemental about someone who shows nervousness on stage.

You must have had one of a touhcing and inspiring presentation to touch those kids and teachers the way the letter describes.

Kudos on sharing your story and spreading such valuable information.

Hopefully you have made enough of an impression to have at least one of those kids one day think about what you said and prevent them from having to go through a similar situation.
blends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

Good Job!

I wonder if we can get you to come speak at some of our schools??? My son is 14 and itching to ride/drive. What an impression your story has already had on him. How much better to reach all this friends!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
dudewhrsmybike

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmart2 View Post
as cliche' as this sounds, everything does happen for a reason
I disagree completely but that's nor here nor there.
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
Great to hear bro. Keep up the good work.

You didn't happen to show them the leg trick? Where you swing it around so your shoe sole becomes a beer perch?
no beer bottle, but i took a picture with the student council, i flipped it up and had one of them hold it for the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blends View Post
Very cool!

Have you done a lot of public speaking like that before? High school kids can be very judgemental about someone who shows nervousness on stage.

You must have had one of a touhcing and inspiring presentation to touch those kids and teachers the way the letter describes.

Kudos on sharing your story and spreading such valuable information.

Hopefully you have made enough of an impression to have at least one of those kids one day think about what you said and prevent them from having to go through a similar situation.
I have spoke to a couple of college classes about business (i run a business here in college station), those classes have always been about 20 people. Today was my first huge crowd, i was a little nervous but im a natural when it comes to talking......lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaner-n-u View Post
Good Job!

I wonder if we can get you to come speak at some of our schools??? My son is 14 and itching to ride/drive. What an impression your story has already had on him. How much better to reach all this friends!
I would love to!, just let me know
Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #16
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Wow! This is a great thread and attachments to your other threads!! I would like to see/hear one of your presentations, but I fear that I will come to tears. You have definately made an impression on me and I hope you accomplish your future goals. You are a blessed person and you have strong will power! I really enjoyed reading all of this!!

Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?
flipstyledsm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #17
skmart2
Stephanie

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post

i didn't mean to offend by that comment. i just think that he was obviously spared from death in that accident for a reason. even though i hate the fact that he had to go through some of the most unimaginable events through his recovery ect., he is quit possibly saving the lives of many others just by his testimony, by making these young kids think, by showing how life can change in an instant and how he has proven his strength and determination in his recovery and that life doesn't have to end after something like that.

Gimpin2Fold - i'm really sorry if that was offensive to you. i certainly didn't mean for it to be.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #18
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmart2 View Post
i didn't mean to offend by that comment. i just think that he was obviously spared from death in that accident for a reason. even though i hate the fact that he had to go through some of the most unimaginable events through his recovery ect., he is quit possibly saving the lives of many others just by his testimony, by making these young kids think, by showing how life can change in an instant and how he has proven his strength and determination in his recovery and that life doesn't have to end after something like that.

Gimpin2Fold - i'm really sorry if that was offensive to you. i certainly didn't mean for it to be.
You didnt offend me whatsoever, i agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post

If it was neither here nor there, then there was no reason to post it. Just trying to stir the pot a little i assume. Any other post that are off topic of the thread, please use PM's
Old 03-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #19
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #20
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

I've wondered since I joined what the story was with your wreck, but never found it appropriate to ask. I read through both of the threads and now it is a little more clear. First off, let me say that it is amazing that you are still here with us! And that is awesome that you are doing some public speaking to the schools. Your attitude is what really amazes me though! I can't imagine being able to pick myself up after something like that...

I sincerely hope to meet you one day!
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement