Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
GZX6R

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Open Message to RideSmart

THIS IS IN NO WAY A DIRECT AFFRONT TO ANY RIDESMART TEAM MEMBER

As you probably all know by now, I'm the guy that clown (my language has relaxed somewhat since Saturday) t-boned at MSRH Sat 07 Mar, in Paul's round robin group.

Now this person (I don't know who, riding experience, nore any word of appology) clearly was not in control of what he was doing, target fixation was all he had going. I was almost on the apex of the turn, on the racing line, looking through the turn when my peripheral vision saw a bike coming directly at me with great relative speed, knocking me to the outside of the turn. Said rider continuedon as if this is normal track behavior (I think in public this would be hit and run), not so much as a look back (with respect to the RideSmart 'no stopping' rule of course).
The rest, with the ambo etc was there for all to see.

Which brings me to my point.

This rider should not have been in the Intermediate class as he clearly did not know the racing line or passing rules. Ridesmart should consider starting everyone in the novice class (I think from our initial riders meeting, only about 1/3 of our group had ridden this track), at least to teach them at the slower (and yes, boring) pace so that the racing line is not someting that has to be remembered at speed, released to the next level when proven they know whats going on.

Let's keep in mind, anyone of you reading this could have been laid up in hospital, broken up by this irresponsibility.

Now this should only cost me leathers and boots. Fortunately, I have an understanding boss who has the big picture of what we are doing in mind. and a company that will support me. Thinking further, if news of my stay in hospital leaked to my parents, it could very well kill my mother, as she has a very weak heart.

All as a result of the thoughtless actions of someone trying to 'win' a track day in the second session of the day....

I have'nt ridden a RideSmart event since 2005, since then have listened to the stories that RideSmart attracts idiots and has a higher crash tally than other operators. It would not be prudent to comment on this, but you get my point.

I must thank the first aid medics, RideSmart staff, Life Flight, hospital staff, friends and SBM members who visited me in hospital.
Now I'm home and working on the recovery. Fortunately the bike stayed upright, so it's ready to go.

I hope some good will come of this, and that everyone can continue riding bikes safely and gaining enormous amounts of fun.
Graeme
GZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HalfFast - Trailer spot open for msrh this Sunday with Ridesmart r6racer Ridesmart Motorcycle School 9 09-15-2014 11:05 AM
Ridesmart MSRH - June 23th - RideSmart is back floyd600 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 307 07-01-2012 10:18 PM
Ridesmart NOLA 4/21-4/22 - Open for Registration!! D03Cobra Ridesmart Motorcycle School 5 12-26-2011 07:53 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZX6R View Post
Ridesmart should consider starting everyone in the novice class (I think from our initial riders meeting, only about 1/3 of our group had ridden this track), at least to teach them at the slower (and yes, boring) pace so that the racing line is not someting that has to be remembered at speed, released to the next level when proven they know whats going on.
i think all track orgs should abide by this.

as for your mom's, sounds like you need to man up and give her the scoop.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Sorry to hear this bro. I have a titanium rod in my right femur. You will be up in no time, PM if you need help.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

sounds like someone in the group wasn't "riding very smart" IMO. Sorry to hear about your situation.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
[poser]
"the un-original"

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
'o7 sv650s: Tundra DC 5.7: Trek 1.2
wish I had a motard / dual sport, it'll be next

I've riden three events with ridesmart and never had a problem, that's not to say there aren't probelms, but Ride Smart as with the other track day orgs typically allow people to choose their own ride group and move them up or down as needed after a few sessions (this is done with the aid of the corner workers). I know Dave hold rider safety very high on his list, as do the instructors.

I'm sorry that some tool, was riding above his level and trying to hard, and I hope you have a speady recovery.
Originally Posted by my father-in-law
Jason is hard to read, I can't always tell if he's joking or if his jugdment really is that bad
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
Jerran V

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

glad you are relatively ok.

Last edited by DC1; 03-12-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
didimao0072000

Bike(s):
50cc metropolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i think all track orgs should abide by this.

as for your mom's, sounds like you need to man up and give her the scoop.
what business of yours is it whether he tells his mom or not?
didimao0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Can we try to not turn this into a contest about various orgs and just thank the man for his post?

TY sir.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Can we try to not turn this into a contest about various orgs and just thank the man for his post?

TY sir.
+1,

we ALL now that some riders/tools lie about skill level just because their homie is in a different level. I am not saying this was the case, but my point is, for Track Organizations it is hard to tell if you are new UNTIL a few laps, sometimes you can catch them fast sometimes it takes longer.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
level5
moving chicane

sorry to hear what happens. As you are aware in this hobby, it is hard to enforced or control what the others are doing. There has been incidents after incidents because the patrons are riding over their head. It is not tolerated at any organization for this type of riding, and many have been dealt with. Hopefully there will be a way to implement a solutions to this problem. In the meantime, have a speedy recovery.

PS. I am not affiliate with any track orgs nor do I speak on their behalf.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by didimao0072000 View Post
what business of yours is it whether he tells his mom or not?
so dude claims mom might stroke out cuz of bike wreck caused by careless rider

well what if he crashed by himself.......is mom still gonna stroke out? prolly according to him.

so he needs to man up and tell his mom what he's doing and go from there.

it's called being a man and doing whats right vs cowardice and avoiding the sit.

try it some time.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

... edit button.

Now i am sure ALL track days org. look after safety, some more efficient than others but still they try to act when situations like this arise. This is a good input and I am sure all Track Org. personal that navigate this board will learn from it.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
DLSGAP
Whats the "Dragon"

Bike(s):
'11 FZ8

Graeme

Glad you're not worse off. something like that could have turned VERY messy quick.

The first time I rode with Ride Smart I was told that despite my previous track experience (former WERA racer and multiple track days in the past) I should start in group1 since they weren't familiar with me. I guess that rule may have been overlooked in this case. But its the riders responsibility to admit they're a first timer. I know there was atleast one other 1st timer in group2 that was fast sure... but needs work.

I wish your unfortunate incident hadn't occurred. Yo'ure cool as ... even offered to let me borrow part of your shifter until you found out we were in the same group.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. And I promise not to tell your mom
DLSGAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Graeme,

I was genuinely saddened to hear of your incident. Myself, along with many others, I am sure, prayed for your speedy recovery.

It is irresponsible when an individual rides over thier head in any level, it is even more tragic when, in the process of this, they injure another.

As mentioned before, being it was the 2nd session, I doubt the culprit had even been evaluated yet, considering the 1st session is a 40ish MPH round robin.

I believe that all organizations rely on the participants, as well as instructors/control riders AND corner workers to help identify careless riders. Having said that, in no way am I attempting to deflect from your post.

Heal up quick buddy and hope to see you at the track soon enough.

-Brandt
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSGAP View Post
Graeme

Glad you're not worse off. something like that could have turned VERY messy quick.

The first time I rode with Ride Smart I was told that despite my previous track experience (former WERA racer and multiple track days in the past) I should start in group1 since they weren't familiar with me. I guess that rule may have been overlooked in this case. But its the riders responsibility to admit they're a first timer. I know there was atleast one other 1st timer in group2 that was fast sure... but needs work.

I wish your unfortunate incident hadn't occurred. Yo'ure cool as ... even offered to let me borrow part of your shifter until you found out we were in the same group.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. And I promise not to tell your mom
so trackday orgs don't keep a record of who has ridden with them?
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #16
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
so trackday orgs don't keep a record of who has ridden with them?
Might have on computers but not on the print out.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post

TY sir.
+100

good post....

get well man

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZX6R View Post
THIS IS IN NO WAY A DIRECT AFFRONT TO ANY RIDESMART TEAM MEMBER

As you probably all know by now, I'm the guy that clown (my language has relaxed somewhat since Saturday) t-boned at MSRH Sat 07 Mar, in Paul's round robin group.

Now this person (I don't know who, riding experience, nore any word of appology) clearly was not in control of what he was doing, target fixation was all he had going. I was almost on the apex of the turn, on the racing line, looking through the turn when my peripheral vision saw a bike coming directly at me with great relative speed, knocking me to the outside of the turn. Said rider continuedon as if this is normal track behavior (I think in public this would be hit and run), not so much as a look back (with respect to the RideSmart 'no stopping' rule of course).
The rest, with the ambo etc was there for all to see.

Which brings me to my point.

This rider should not have been in the Intermediate class as he clearly did not know the racing line or passing rules. Ridesmart should consider starting everyone in the novice class (I think from our initial riders meeting, only about 1/3 of our group had ridden this track), at least to teach them at the slower (and yes, boring) pace so that the racing line is not someting that has to be remembered at speed, released to the next level when proven they know whats going on.

Let's keep in mind, anyone of you reading this could have been laid up in hospital, broken up by this irresponsibility.
There are actually a few problems with what you suggest. I'll post them......others can agree or disagree.

1. Policing who has and hasn't ridden the track to determine who needs to be in the novice group.

2. Pace. I've never ridden with Ride Smart. If they were to activate a rule like you're suggesting I'd be stuck in the novice group. My pace (and others WAY faster than me) would scare the bejesus out of much slower riders possibly causing more wrecks than it prevents.

3. The round robin groups are fairly paced anyway. Its entirely likely that if he hadn't tagged you in intermediate he might have done the same to someone else in Novice.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #19
Candie

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Glad to are doing well. I wish you a very speedy recovery!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
didimao0072000

Bike(s):
50cc metropolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
so dude claims mom might stroke out cuz of bike wreck caused by careless rider

well what if he crashed by himself.......is mom still gonna stroke out? prolly according to him.

so he needs to man up and tell his mom what he's doing and go from there.

it's called being a man and doing whats right vs cowardice and avoiding the sit.

try it some time.

Lol.. I donít think the op is a coward for not telling his mom his business. Unlike you, he sounds like an adult who doesnít need to phone his mommy every time he his pants.
didimao0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement