MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
gsxr_firerider
you lite em, we fight em

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600- sold

first time track day

Been wanting to see what its all about for a while, although i know no one who rides track. Can some one give me a crash course? For example, what all do I need, whats the best track for someone new? Some of my major concerns are, getting out there and my pace not being fast enough. What kind of gear I need, do i have to have leathers? I have a jacket, gloves and helmet, do I have to have racing type boots? My bike is stock, is there anything that has to be done right away to try riding track? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
gsxr_firerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ive been studying all day, time for play time.... scrapp Off Topic 29 04-12-2016 10:00 AM
First Time Track Day z0sum Taking it to the Track 5 07-02-2014 12:12 AM
1st Time Track Riders - 50% off and FREE leathers and boot - TWS (Texas World Speedway) Labor Day cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 13 08-23-2012 10:46 AM
First Time Rider? Existing Customer? 2 for 1 Track Day !!- Cresson 6/4 & 6/5! cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 13 05-31-2011 06:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
BBKF
BooBooKittyFuxx

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06' 600RR

Same situation, I'm looking to do my first track day fairly soon too.

If everything's under control, you're going too slow
BBKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

you'll need full leather's, DOT full face helmet, boots and gauntlet gloves. You can rent them from motorcycles unlimited or usually at the track. Just get there early enough to take care of all that if you go that route.
You'll need a bike (with key) that will pass tech inspection. i.e. license plate removed, mirrors taped or removed, lights taped or removed. tires with atleast 60% tread left, good chain, no loose plastics or bolts n stuff like that.
bike stands and more tools than you think you should bring. Air compressor, Air gauge, zip ties, tape, etc that list can go on forever.
A means of transportation to and from the track...with your bike...
About 5 gallons of gasoline. I usually need less than three, but you want to be on the safe side.
A chair, comfy shoes, snacks, although there is usually lunch and water provided for all the riders.

There are many events at MSRH in Angleton with Ridesmart and Texas Trackdays over the next few weeks. It is a good track, maybe not the best, but the facilities are nice and many people have their first TD's there.

No matter what, prepare to have fun.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr_firerider View Post
Been wanting to see what its all about for a while, although i know no one who rides track. Can some one give me a crash course? For example, what all do I need, whats the best track for someone new? Some of my major concerns are, getting out there and my pace not being fast enough. What kind of gear I need, do i have to have leathers? I have a jacket, gloves and helmet, do I have to have racing type boots? My bike is stock, is there anything that has to be done right away to try riding track? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
What you need is an open mind and desire to learn how to go fast.
Any track is a good start because LSTD, TTD, Ride Smart track orgs have a novice/beginners level with instructors/instructions. Each track is different and you will improve your skills by riding all the tracks.
Don't worry about being fast just yet, it will come with seat time and your learning speed, and growing that pair of .
AS for gear, you will need a full 1 or 2 pc leather(some orgs allow textile suit), gloves, helmet, boots, chest/back protector optional. A 2 piece leather must have a 360 degrees zipper to zip the top to the bottom in case if you crash the top would not ride up. Gloves is preferred gauntlet, no mesh, short gloves will slide off if you wreck. Boots is ankle or higher boots, same reason as others, to protect your ankle/feet. Helmet must be good shape and no damage. The gears is for your safety in case you crash. Only you know what condition it's in. It is not required for inspection.
As for bike, you will need to tape up or remove all lights/mirrors, remove license plate. No fluid leaks in the engine, tires must be 40% or better, good brakes, no sticky throttle, and chains not to tight or loose.

Come out to the next trackdays and spectate, meet and make friends. You can go on parade laps to see what track riding is about but in slow motion. If money is tight, you could sign up corner working to see and learn the mistakes of others and earn for a free trackday. If I am missing something, I am sure there will be others to chime in and fill in the missing part. See you at the track.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #5
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by matemike View Post
you'll need full leather's, DOT full face helmet, boots and gauntlet gloves. You can rent them from motorcycles unlimited or usually at the track. Just get there early enough to take care of all that if you go that route.
You'll need a bike (with key) that will pass tech inspection. i.e. license plate removed, mirrors taped or removed, lights taped or removed. tires with atleast 60% tread left, good chain, no loose plastics or bolts n stuff like that.
bike stands and more tools than you think you should bring. Air compressor, Air gauge, zip ties, tape, etc that list can go on forever.
A means of transportation to and from the track...with your bike...
About 5 gallons of gasoline. I usually need less than three, but you want to be on the safe side.
A chair, comfy shoes, snacks, although there is usually lunch and water provided for all the riders.

There are many events at MSRH in Angleton with Ridesmart and Texas Trackdays over the next few weeks. It is a good track, maybe not the best, but the facilities are nice and many people have their first TD's there.

No matter what, prepare to have fun.
The more the better. Check with the orgs you sign up to ride with for their safety requirement.

Here is the other list that I left out. For beginner no bike stand is needed unless you are working on your bike. If you have all the accessories listed, you are better off, if not, you could always borrow from the regulars junkies there.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #6
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

To KingJ and Gsxr_firerider:

Any track will be great for your first TD. I think the best you could do is attend on TD as spectator, try to arrive before noon and you might get to do parade laps.
If you go to the track, don't be shy ask as many questions as you can, observe instruction, you could even ask to the TD organizers if you could attend one of the classroom sesions.
The next three TDs schedule (if not mistaken) are:
*Tomorrow - ECR with LSTD.
*March 21 - MSR Houston with TTD.
*March 29 - MSR Houston with Ride Smart.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
TDD i the best drunk por soberr. Come hold my key boaard fcker.
Haha nice

I thought I remember reading that the 2 piece suits had to zip 3/4 of the way around and not all of the way. I may be mistaken though.
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr_firerider View Post
these guys pretty much listed everything you need.

I invite you to come out to MSRH next Saturday, and you can sit in on my class, and ride the parade laps. You'll get a great feel for what we do and what to expect. Just be there by 8:45 if you want to catch all of the classroom material. We go to class at the top of each hour for the 1st half of the day.

I strongly encourage you to do the parade laps as well. Just wear long pants, jacket, gloves, and a full face helmet.

Please feel free to PM me with any other questions you have.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
TDD i the best drunk por soberr. Come hold my key boaard fcker.
fkn nice.

mudbugmudderfugger!
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #11
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4310

Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #13
keoniboy70

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (SOLD)
2006 GSXR 750 (SOLD)
2009 ZX6R (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
...you can sit in on my class, and ride the parade laps. You'll get a great feel for what we do and what to expect. Just be there by 8:45 if you want to catch all of the classroom material. We go to class at the top of each hour for the 1st half of the day....
Speaking as another noob - is there a fee for just the parade laps? to sit in on the classroom material? or to just come and watch?

Further to the point - what exactly do the fees cover?
keoniboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #14
quicksaveme

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Godsuki can you give me a little break down of what next Saturday will be like??

I am signed up with the Novice group for my first track day, and I wanted to at least know the schedule of the day. I know there will be class room like you just mentioned, but how long is each class session? At what times? How long are the track sessions? What time does it start, and end?

Just a run-through basically, lol.

Thanks man!
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keoniboy70 View Post
Speaking as another noob - is there a fee for just the parade laps? to sit in on the classroom material? or to just come and watch?

The parade laps and sitting in on the classroom sessions are free, as is gate entry. This is so you can get a taste of what happens there.

The only fees associated with doing a trackday is the cost of purchasing a trackday. You will spend other money on gear and fuel and food, but again, the only fee is the cost of riding.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #16
Brena23
Mothernugget

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by keoniboy70 View Post

the only fees you would have to pay are if you decide to do a track day with us. there is no fee for sitting in on class or doing the parade lap.
Brena23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #17
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksaveme View Post
Godsuki can you give me a little break down of what next Saturday will be like??

I am signed up with the Novice group for my first track day, and I wanted to at least know the schedule of the day. I know there will be class room like you just mentioned, but how long is each class session? At what times? How long are the track sessions? What time does it start, and end?

Just a run-through basically, lol.

Thanks man!
Gate open @ 7am

Registration & tech inspection opens @ 7:30 am

Riders meeting @ 8:20

1st novice class begins @ 8:45

9:00 am advanced session

9:20 am intermediate session

9:40 am novice session

this order will repeat throughout the day. Advanced at the top of each hour, with novice at 40 after each hour

2nd novice class 10:00 am

3rd novice class 11:00 am

12:00 pm 1 pm - lunch & parade laps

4th novice class 1:00 pm

last novice session: 4:40 pm
Old 03-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
quicksaveme

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
Gate open @ 7am

Registration & tech inspection opens @ 7:30 am

Riders meeting @ 8:20

1st novice class begins @ 8:45

9:00 am advanced session

9:20 am intermediate session

9:40 am novice session

this order will repeat throughout the day. Advanced at the top of each hour, with novice at 40 after each hour

2nd novice class 10:00 am

3rd novice class 11:00 am

12:00 pm 1 pm - lunch & parade laps

4th novice class 1:00 pm

last novice session: 4:40 pm
Thank you
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote