MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
New-b-rider85

Feedback Rating: (0)

Too Much??

Okay i am getting signed up for a training session with MSF. I have checked out CL and i have not found any NON racers to start out on. SOOOO here is what i have found Suzuki is running a special till the end of March here in MS and here is a bike i found that i like.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...08/SV650S.aspx

I just want to know if this is "too much" for me to start out on, since i have 0 riding experience. Thanks for any info.
New-b-rider85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
brisingr23
This place has the Gheyz!

Experience: 2 years
good starter but dont make the mistake i did in buying new. not unless you want to get it a rash on it.
brisingr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

sv is a marginal beginner bike, i don't mind recommending them if they have previous bike experience like dirt.

and i agree w/ brisingr,

buy used
buy cheap
buy small cc, 250 or 500

and of course take MSF before you do anything bike, www.msf-usa.org to find a school near you
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Spidermonkey
TTD's home grown

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 sv650 trackbike/08 zx6 sold(i loved it)/ 08 R6 (head shakes!)

trackdays: 98

SV 650 are great the make bad track bikes too.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
kyu612

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 zx10r
07 1000rr

good move with the msf and good choice of bike

try to buy used cause you dont wanna scratch those new fairings you just bought
kyu612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
kyu612

Bike(s):
06 zx10r
07 1000rr

and i started on a 650 as well.. its not a liter bike but itll definitely get you in trouble if you get in over your head

as long as you take it slow and keep your ego at home.. an sv650's a great choice
Old 03-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
dudewhrsmybike

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
First off I will say buy USED for your first bike!
And a 650 could be too much if you ABUSE the power.

Starter bikes for beginners is a controversial issue. Everyone has different opinions on it. Some will say 250cc, and some will say a 600cc SS is okay. In my opinion, you have to honestly ask yourself if you can respect the power. If you feel you can't and will have a tendency to want to ride fast/wrecklessly then you definately don't belong on a 600CC SS. That is how new riders get hurt or killed. Not to say that a 250 won't kill ya, but you have to understand how fast the current 600's are and how easy they can get you into trouble. There is NOTHING wrong with starting on a smaller bike and eventually upgrading. I started on a 600CC SS and respected it for the most part, but keep in mind everyone is different and some catch on faster than others. Ex. I've only been in the game 2 years but I can hold my own to most if not all of these old farts that have been riding all their lives just about. I am accident free on the STREET and intend to keep it that way. Please wear a helmet and FULL gear. MSF is a great tool and I hope you make a wise decision on a first bike. Be safe, start slow, skill comes with time and once you know what your doing you can start to really have some fun
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
kyu612

Bike(s):
06 zx10r
07 1000rr

^ agreed.

But the best thing about lower cc bikes such as the 250 or 500's is that it builds confidence. The low seat height and restricted power allows you to learn to take on corners and such

and everytime i see those new ninja 250's.. i wanna hop on

have you tried sitting on an sv yet? how tall are you?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
New-b-rider85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyu612 View Post
^ agreed.

But the best thing about lower cc bikes such as the 250 or 500's is that it builds confidence. The low seat height and restricted power allows you to learn to take on corners and such

and everytime i see those new ninja 250's.. i wanna hop on

have you tried sitting on an sv yet? how tall are you?
I am 6 foot. My brother-in-law had a GSX-R 1000 and a Yamaha R1 that i have drove a few times just up and down our street, which is not but about 1/4 mile. I don't think i got the bikes over 20mph and he made me start off in 2nd gear. So besides that i have had no other "riding" experience.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post

Starter bikes for beginners is a controversial issue. Everyone has different opinions on it. Some will say 250cc, and some will say a 600cc SS is okay. In my opinion, you have to honestly ask yourself if you can respect the power. If you feel you can't and will have a tendency to want to ride fast/wrecklessly then you definately don't belong on a 600CC SS. That is how new riders get hurt or killed. Not to say that a 250 won't kill ya, but you have to understand how fast the current 600's are and how easy they can get you into trouble. There is NOTHING wrong with starting on a smaller bike and eventually upgrading. I started on a 600CC SS and respected it for the most part, but keep in mind everyone is different and some catch on faster than others. Ex. I've only been in the game 2 years but I can hold my own to most if not all of these old farts that have been riding all their lives just about. I am accident free on the STREET and intend to keep it that way. Please wear a helmet and FULL gear. MSF is a great tool and I hope you make a wise decision on a first bike. Be safe, start slow, skill comes with time and once you know what your doing you can start to really have some fun
Exactly the way that I looked at it when I got my bike. I have ridden dirtbikes all the way since kindergarten when I got into racing, I was riding the motorcycle before my bike. But when I decided I really wanted to pull the trigger on a streetbike I knew if I was handed something that did 140mph I'd be riding around at 140mph. So I knew i wanted to start small and work my way up, hence the 250. Now I am not a small guy (about 240 5'8) and this thing is still a blast!! Sure I can't get to 100 in first gear like some of the bikes but who cares? I can still take twisties just fine and if your hand slips on the throttle the bike doesn't take off and leave you sitting on the pavement like a 600ss or 1000 would do, it is so forgiving.

If you had some other moto experience like dirt that was mentioned you could go with a sv650, but please don't buy a brand new one. I bought this 250 used and I am certain that I could sell it for the exact same price today if I wanted to. With that said I do plan on moving up sometime soon so if you happen to be interested in going the 08 250 route then shoot me a pm and we can talk about it.
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

TOO MUCH $$$$ as mentioned go buy one used for 3-4k. As a beginner bike it's not a bad choice as long as you take it easy. def better than a 600.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

+1 w/the caveat that starting small makes learning a blast and a 250 is much more forgiving than a bigger bike. Oh and unless you are all ego you shouldn't worry about someone teasing you for being on a smaller bike b/c at least you're on a bike
Old 03-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #13
New-b-rider85

http://jackson.craigslist.org/mcy/1068460231.html would this be better.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

heck yeah! take the MSF first!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:

That's really a great way to look at it Gary.

I got back into riding about 3 1/2 years ago. I rode dirt and trail as a teen and lost intrest. I took the MSF for a refresher. Best money you can spend. It'll give you like 6 months to a years experience right off the bat.

Don't get sucked into the "Got to have a new bike" mentality. I could have easily gone out and purchased a new bike and I really wanted to don't get me wrong. I stepped back from the situation, swallowed hard and resolved to look for a used bike. I found an old CBR600 for $2500 from a co-worker. I proceeded to lay it over twice and wreck it once (my own stupidity). If it would have been a new bike it would have been written off as totalled after the wreck. After those incidences I was glad that it was just an old bike. I ended up selling it for $2000. Then I bought a new one.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Take MSF- buy used.

I started on a little 250 cruiser and then moved on to an SV650 (0 experience beforehand). I don't think the SV is too much power, per se, but you do have to respect it. I also don't think you need to start on a cruiser just because it's small and cheap- you can find a low-priced sport bike if that's what you want.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #17
New-b-rider85

Ya i would love to find an old sport bike to learn on but there are not that many around here for cheap. everyone has like bigger sport bikes like hayabusa's, 1k's, or cruisers. Nothing i have found yet on a sport bike. But i will keep looking. Thanks for all the insight guys. O BTW i learned real fast to always respect the bike.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
quicksaveme

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

I say it depends on your head.

I bought an '07 R1 as my first bike with a year of no riding after taking my MSF...and I never wrecked it.

I bought an '07 R6 this year, and wrecked it...

So
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #19
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50