MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: best way to break in a bike?
beat the out of it? The results are hidden 0%
baby it? The results are hidden 0%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #21
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Ride the out of it.

All that talk about breaking in is just mumbo jumbo, I wheelie it out of the parking lot

Change the oil at 600miles
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The one where I break everything invision Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 7 04-20-2012 08:07 AM
break in Grimace General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 10-29-2010 07:07 AM
on break bunxx Off Topic 4 07-30-2009 05:39 PM
Just saw this on Break.com TheRRguy Off Topic 7 08-08-2008 10:40 PM
Break in TxVrod Off Topic 10 06-15-2006 02:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #22
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

combo/hybred ride in in all RPM ranges in all gears under load.

Seems to have worked well for me.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #23
didimao0072000

Bike(s):
50cc metropolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrinzik View Post

It's my theory that fast break in may actually make a faster bike, but the cost is that the engine will not last as long. The engineers at our favorite manufacturers want us to get the longest most reliable performance out of our machines - not perform for a limited number of track runs before getting rebuilt like race teams do. Our stuff is plenty fast, why not get the reliability out of it too?
This is a flawed theory.

If you take two bikes of the same class, make, model, year, milieage, etc and one is faster that the other, the faster one must have a stronger engine. A stronger engine means higher compression which means better engine sealing which means in general, the faster engine will last longer if both were treated the same afterwards.
didimao0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #24
Intrinzik

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
09 Daytona 675 (Tornato Red)

Send a message via Yahoo to Intrinzik
Quote:
Originally Posted by didimao0072000 View Post
This is a flawed theory.

If you take two bikes of the same class, make, model, year, milieage, etc and one is faster that the other, the faster one must have a stronger engine. A stronger engine means higher compression which means better engine sealing which means in general, the faster engine will last longer if both were treated the same afterwards.
Your point about compression is well taken, however it tends to validate my theory, not disprove it. During a "hard" break in the rings (theoretically) seal better. This improves compression, however, in all my years of wrenching I have rebuilt very few engines because of poor ring sealing and low compression. Besides, low compression is almost always caused by valve problems, not ring problems.

Low compression is also the least of the problems encountered by most drivers. Most catastrophic engine failures are the result of blown head gaskets, valve spring failure, lifter failure, or crank bearing failure. There are myriad reasons why these parts fail, but it could well be that during a "hard" break in these other parts do not break in as well as during an "easy" break in. So, while a "hard" break in results in a "faster" engine at first because of high compression, the trade off is that the engine doesn't last as long. My point was, that unless you are a racer, the minimal extra power you get is not worth the trade-off.

Also, I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert. My experience is with cars and trucks, not motorcycles. I was a mechanic and have built several engines, none of which were intended to be used on a track. Also, this is just my opinion and I could very well be wrong. You have a great point and I'm sure somebody could flame the out of both of us for being ignorant.

I wish there were a real engineer here to put and end to the discussion.
Intrinzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #25
didimao0072000

Bike(s):
50cc metropolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrinzik View Post
Your point about compression is well taken, however it tends to validate my theory, not disprove it. During a "hard" break in the rings (theoretically) seal better. This improves compression, however, in all my years of wrenching I have rebuilt very few engines because of poor ring sealing and low compression. Besides, low compression is almost always caused by valve problems, not ring problems.

Low compression is also the least of the problems encountered by most drivers. Most catastrophic engine failures are the result of blown head gaskets, valve spring failure, lifter failure, or crank bearing failure. There are myriad reasons why these parts fail, but it could well be that during a "hard" break in these other parts do not break in as well as during an "easy" break in. So, while a "hard" break in results in a "faster" engine at first because of high compression, the trade off is that the engine doesn't last as long. My point was, that unless you are a racer, the minimal extra power you get is not worth the trade-off.

Also, I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert. My experience is with cars and trucks, not motorcycles. I was a mechanic and have built several engines, none of which were intended to be used on a track. Also, this is just my opinion and I could very well be wrong. You have a great point and I'm sure somebody could flame the out of both of us for being ignorant.

I wish there were a real engineer here to put and end to the discussion.
I’ve always had the belief that high compression AND good leak down results equal a healthier engine. Does a “healthier” engine translate into longevity? Who knows. I think we can agree that unless you’re racing competitively, the break in method really doesn’t matter. Most people will not keep their vehicles long enough or notice the slight increase in power one method may have in the other.
didimao0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #26
satanraven
VERITAS AEQUITAS

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 r6 raven

rode the out of mine....been runnin strong ever since, almost 4 years now
Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #27
Ridesmart

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

you ride it like a grandma, it will perform like a grandma.
Use it as you intend to be using it from the get go.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #28
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):

take it easy the first few days then slowly beat the out of it.
1fastchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #29
slowblack05
please

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

I ride my hard out of the box. They run better and stronger than friends of mine that do the 1000 mile break in

Same way we break my motors in on my vette. Its been tried and true

To each their own
Old 03-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #30
jrob
cheers

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
KTM 450 XC-F
DRZ 400 Kick/Motard Convert

there should be a little book that came with your bike. the front of it should say something like "owners manual" try to find it and look for a section called "break in period" i know this is all pretty vague since you wont have to enter a screen name and password and no one will be there to give you the answer. youre just gonna have to rely on basic reading comprehension. good luck.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #31
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Why does this same thread keep reappearing? Search, first...

Moto_tune method!

Broke mine in on the dyno the last time.

Advertisement