MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Hopkins hints at comeback

Quote:
John Hopkins tells fans to expect 'big treat'

John Hopkins has given his first public comments following Kawasaki's January withdraw from MotoGP.

Hopper should have been starting his second MotoGP season with Team Green in 2009, alongside new team-mate Marco Melandri, but has been left in a precarious position by Kawasaki's change of plans.

Whilst Melandri was subsequently named as the sole rider for the new, unofficial, Hayate Racing Team entry - which Kawasaki has been persuaded to support - the #21's future remains unknown.

However, writing on his official website, the 25-year-old explained his silence and told fans to expect a “big treat” when he does reveal his plans.

“I have been under STRICT instruction from my management not to comment on anything or talk of any plans from here… but I will give you my word right here and now I promise you all, as payback for your support, as soon as i get the go ahead on what I can do and say this page will have the first press release from myself!

“It seems that anything I say can be twisted or manipulated in the media, so I am choosing to not say much to avoid any confliction or drama. I appreciate all of you that support me, you are true die hards and that's awesome. All I will say is, you are all in for big treat!”

Hopkins, who made his MotoGP debut with Red Bull Yamaha in 2002, rode for Suzuki from 2003-2007 - culminating in his first four podiums and fourth overall in the 2007 MotoGP World Championship.

Hopper then moved to Kawasaki, where a disappointing, injury-interrupted season resulted in a best race finish of fifth and just 16th place in the final 2008 standings.
want to speculate anybody??
I'm going with a third Tech 3 bike in Monster colours
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hints of voter fraud in Maine DepPravacion The Circus 5 03-09-2012 09:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I'm thinking Supersport for 2010.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
so.........is it Hopper or Hopkins. I'm confused.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
so.........is it Hopper or Hopkins. I'm confused.
John Hopkins aka Hopper
Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
John Hopkins aka Hopper

got it
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 03-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Come back? Come back to what? Mediocrity? Hopper is a -poor development rider and sub-par world level performer. Four podiums in seven seasons (2002-2008) with no wins? Geez. (Yes, I know he's been injured a time or three, but that's what cortizone injections are for .) His move to Kawasaki was a clear indicator of where he was headed career-wise; Kawasaki MotoGP is where riders go before they retire. I think there's a reason beyond the global economy that he's out of a job in 2009. But, that said, he'd probably clean up if he returned to WSMC and a ran a few club races.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
Come back? Come back to what? Mediocrity? Hopper is a -poor development rider and sub-par world level performer. Four podiums in seven seasons (2002-2008) with no wins? Geez. (Yes, I know he's been injured a time or three, but that's what cortizone injections are for .) His move to Kawasaki was a clear indicator of where he was headed career-wise; Kawasaki MotoGP is where riders go before they retire. I think there's a reason beyond the global economy that he's out of a job in 2009. But, that said, he'd probably clean up if he returned to WSMC and a ran a few club races.

Results 2007
MotoGP World Championship

Pos. Rider Num. Motorcycle Nation Team Points
1 Casey STONER 27 Ducati AUS Ducati Marlboro Team 367
2 Dani PEDROSA 26 Honda SPA Repsol Honda Team 242
3 Valentino ROSSI 46 Yamaha ITA Fiat Yamaha Team 241
4 John HOPKINS 21 Suzuki USA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 189
5 Marco MELANDRI 33 Honda ITA Honda Gresini 187
6 Chris VERMEULEN 71 Suzuki AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 179
7 Loris CAPIROSSI 65 Ducati ITA Ducati Marlboro Team 166
8 Nicky HAYDEN 1 Honda USA Repsol Honda Team 127
9 Colin EDWARDS 5 Yamaha USA Fiat Yamaha Team 124
10 Alex BARROS 4 Ducati BRA Pramac d'Antin 115
11 Randy DE PUNIET 14 Kawasaki FRA Kawasaki Racing Team 108
12 Toni ELIAS 24 Honda SPA Honda Gresini 104
13 Alex HOFMANN 66 Ducati GER Pramac d'Antin 65
14 Carlos CHECA 7 Honda SPA Honda LCR 65
15 Anthony WEST 13 Kawasaki AUS Kawasaki Racing Team 59
16 Sylvain GUINTOLI 50 Yamaha FRA Dunlop Yamaha Tech 3 50
17 Shinya NAKANO 56 Honda JPN Konica Minolta Honda 47
18 Makoto TAMADA 6 Yamaha JPN Dunlop Yamaha Tech 3 38
19 Kurtis ROBERTS 80 KR212V USA Team Roberts 10
20 Roger Lee HAYDEN 95 Kawasaki USA Kawasaki Racing Team 6
21 Michel FABRIZIO 84 Honda ITA Honda Gresini 6
22 Fonsi NIETO 11 Kawasaki SPA Kawasaki Racing Team 5
23 Olivier JACQUE 19 Kawasaki FRA Kawasaki Racing Team 4
24 Kenny ROBERTS JR 10 KR212V USA Team Roberts 4
25 Nobuatsu AOKI 9 Suzuki JPN Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 3
26 Shinichi ITO 72 Ducati JPN Pramac d'Antin 1
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:

4 John HOPKINS 21 Suzuki USA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 189
He was fast that season, but only had one podium. (He did have a broken wrist that season, though.)
Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
He was fast that season, but only had one podium. (He did have a broken wrist that season, though.)
maybe if we breack is wrist he will ride good again?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
so I think the boy deserves some credit

He left Suzuki because
a) they offerred him a deal that would make him the 2nd highest salaried earner in motogp
b) he was that Vermulan was getting what he saw as preferential treatment
Old 03-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:

He left Suzuki because
a) they offerred him a deal that would make him the 2nd highest salaried earner in motogp
I agree with Grincy on this one. Consistency wins Championships, and while he hasn't had "the big win," he has proven he can consistently finish in the top 5. He is an exceptional rider who got shafted this season. I could see him ending up on a Duc satelite team or in Toselands seat.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
I'm guessing you're the type of person that thought Hayden's championship was bunk because he didn't win enough races too, huh?

CMRA #302
Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
I agree with Grincy on this one. Consistency wins Championships, and while he hasn't had "the big win," he has proven he can consistently finish in the top 5. He is an exceptional rider who got shafted this season. I could see him ending up on a Duc satelite team or in Toselands seat.
Now don't go taunting Mr Grinch with statements like that you colonist!

Quote:
I'm guessing you're the type of person that thought Hayden's championship was bunk because he didn't win enough races too, huh?
A lot of people think that because he didn't win enough races that his Championship was "bunk". However in this conversation, and in the example Racer997 is using, he's talking about "podiums", not wins.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

A lot of people think that because he didn't win enough races that his Championship was "bunk". However in this conversation, and in the example Racer997 is using, he's talking about "podiums", not wins.

Obviously. However, if finishing 4th without "enough" podiums makes him subpar, than its not a stretch to say that winning the championship without "enough" wins is subpar as well.

CMRA #302
Old 03-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Random_Hero
Grand Optimist

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10R

I think hopper will get a chance showcase his abilitys regardless of where he is as far as motogp or wsbk or where ever. All his years have been riddled with injuries but has great potential on being in the front. His previous years were subpar due to what he was on and injuries. I mean stoner sucked his rookie year but got some better equipment and now look at that little
Random_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #16
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Now don't go taunting Mr Grinch with statements like that you colonist!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
maybe if we breack is wrist he will ride good again?
Well, it worked for Schwantz.

Quote:

He left Suzuki because
Agreed that those were good reasons to leave.

Quote:
First, I have never thought Hopper was a world caliber rider. I thought he lucked into the rided at Red Bull WCM in 2002 because Peter Clifford needed someone young to groom on the 500s and build into the next gen US star. Hopper had a few moments, but wasn't that shinning star Clifford was hoping for. Hopper was young, inexpesive, and showed some promise since he had two AMA championships thus he was a decent choice for this kind of pathway. His spotty performances on his bikes over the seasons, especially when others on the same team had the occassional moment in the spotlight, didn't do much to further his cause.

Second, I am okay with a rider who is consistent and contends for wins. Ben Bostrom won the AMA Superbike championship in 1998 without winning a race, but he was on the podium all the time. That was fine with me. Similarly, Hayden as there all season in 2006, leading most of the season until the Pedrosa incident. When Rossi fell off in the next race, the season returned to homestasis. Also, Hayden has three premier class wins in a far shorter tenure in the premier class than Hopper. That means something. Now you could say that Hopper has had less than top-flight bikes and teams, and I would agree to a point, but then you'd be agreeing with me on some level, too.

Third, I know Hayden well enough for him to remember me from his formative years in the CMRA. I have also met Hopper a few times. I'll stop right there, but I will say that maybe, just maybe, this has something to do with my opinion on both personally and professionally.

Lastly, I'm thinking you're the type of person that doesn't really know racing. And since you didn't know Hopper and Hopkins were the same person, I am thinking I am right.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
philipx
randomly chaotic

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
GL1800A4

Not to be an azzhat or anything like that. I rooted for him in his races, and I really like the guy.
But really, in the eyes of the public at large, anything beyond top 3 is somewhat irrelevant. You don't often see the battle for places outside top 3; you might, but only when 1 and 2 and 3 are clearly decided.

I'd really like to get as many American riders in MotoGP and WSBK as possible so I'm hoping they'll find a way for him to ride.
philipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #19
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

I really hope he does! Firstly cause hes a BA and secondly, like philipx said, I want as many american riders in there as we can get!

I also want to get his helmet from last year now that they should be going out the door with the new wave of them coming in!
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #20
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Talking

Quote:
Bam! What ya really think Linz?

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement