MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline - hype or ?

so what is the real story on this Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline?

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...02/452191.html

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who fills nitrogen shocks in the area? tonyt915 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 09-22-2015 10:47 AM
Where to get Nitrogen for shock? GIXXERKELLY General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-22-2015 10:43 PM
Forgot... Nitrogen? darranwil General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-07-2013 02:35 PM
Replacing Nitrogen in the rear shock. doc_zx10r Performance and Modifications 3 03-10-2009 10:00 PM
nitrogen? slowposer Motorcycles Unlimited 2 05-09-2007 05:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

hype.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
neiN

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

boycott shell and their non motorcycle friendly pumps!!!
neiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiN View Post
boycott shell and their non motorcycle friendly pumps!!!

???
Old 03-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #5
neiN

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
???
you have to push and hold the pump like all the way in before you can begin fueling
Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
you have to push and hold the pump like all the way in before you can begin fueling
It's like that to keep the fumes from escaping, emission. Other gas companies does have it too, it's required for new pumps. Next time, use your other hand to pull up the sleeve and pump.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
neiN

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

i just use chevron they have the same additives in all their grades of fuel that shell has only in their v-power and its a few cents cheaper at times.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
i just use chevron they have the same additives in all their grades of fuel that shell has only in their v-power and its a few cents cheaper at times.
I only run premium in the bike anyway.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
El-Diablo
Slave to the Man

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZX-14

Quote:
Can you tell me where you get this bunk information. Shell has the same additives in every level of gas, just like Chevron. The only difference is the higher octance level, the higer the concentration of additives.

I work for Shell and walk by the emissions lab hundreds of times per week. Every brand of gasoline is tested in there and Shell's gas outperforms every other brand, hands down.

I will say Chevron is a good choice and my only alternative, if I'm not near a Shell station.

Back to the point of the thread. Is N2 enriched gas hype? Yes and no. It serves a purpose for helping reduce thermal breakdown and keep fuel injectors cleaner. However, after millions of miles of testing our labs can't really show a SIGINIFICANT negative impact on gunky fuel injectors. You'll see a slight MPG and HP loss but overall the impact is small.
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

I had to boycot Shell after they sold me some gas with water in it.

I requested my money back ($20 and the owner said no).

I called corporate office, they said NO.

So, I took them to small claims court, they had an attourny, and their only witness (the maintents guy) who claimed to be an expert could not tell me what would happen if I put gas and water in a glass.

Jury awarded me 8hundred something, the cost of replacing a fuel pump.

It was the University Shell, next to UofH on the other side of 45.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
JP171

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

hmm the lubrizol corperation thanks Shell and Chevron and Valero for their patronage and business, folks its all in what the petro companies buy in the additive package, basically from regular to premium the only difference is how much of the stabilizer and cleaner package and octane modifiers, save yourself some cash go buy it in the bottle and add it according to directions.

before you start moaning El Diablo, I was at the Tidal Rd. Facility of Lubrizol for almost 7 years and helped get paperwork ready for shipments to all of the ones I listed, as well as castrol and exxon Mobile for oil and diesel additives

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
Prodigy

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

My bike runs better with it
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
El-Diablo
Slave to the Man

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP171 View Post
hmm the lubrizol corperation thanks Shell and Chevron and Valero for their patronage and business, folks its all in what the petro companies buy in the additive package, basically from regular to premium the only difference is how much of the stabilizer and cleaner package and octane modifiers, save yourself some cash go buy it in the bottle and add it according to directions.

before you start moaning El Diablo, I was at the Tidal Rd. Facility of Lubrizol for almost 7 years and helped get paperwork ready for shipments to all of the ones I listed, as well as castrol and exxon Mobile for oil and diesel additives
You're right, no moaning from me.

The point is the refiner chooses how much of the additive package if puts into each different octane.

Secondly, Shell does not own it's branded gas stations and cannot be held responsible for what the owner does. sometimes you pull into a Shell, Chevron, Exxon, Valero for that matter and don't even get that brand of gas.

I know the trading contracts for Shell branded stations end after a set number of years and Shell loses all say so over the brand rights, so the owner can pretty much do what they want.
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
bioGuru

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Diablo View Post
Secondly, Shell does not own it's branded gas stations and cannot be held responsible for what the owner does. sometimes you pull into a Shell, Chevron, Exxon, Valero for that matter and don't even get that brand of gas.
So this brings up another issue - how the can the average consumer tell what gas they are getting? I buy from a Shell or Chevron station - how do I know if its Shell or Chevron gas?

Isn't the "stated" point of franchises to provide the customer a consistent experience? Starbucks in Canada or anywhere else in the world tastes the same as in Houston or Seattle. Same for McDonalds... why are gas stations exempt from this?

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
Unleaded_Buell
Long Stroke; Low RPM

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Buell XB9

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioGuru View Post
So this brings up another issue - how the can the average consumer tell what gas they are getting? I buy from a Shell or Chevron station - how do I know if its Shell or Chevron gas?

Isn't the "stated" point of franchises to provide the customer a consistent experience? Starbucks in Canada or anywhere else in the world tastes the same as in Houston or Seattle. Same for McDonalds... why are gas stations exempt from this?
The average consumer should know at this point that it's 99% marketing and almost any time you spend more for an advertised benefit you're paying for the advertised part.

On the nitrogen thing: We're adding an inert to a fuel to reduce efficiency in the hopes of preventing buildup during engine operations? Seems like there ought to be a better way, one that improves or doesn't reduce efficiency.

Timidi mater non flet.
Unleaded_Buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #16
bioGuru

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded_Buell View Post
On the nitrogen thing: We're adding an inert to a fuel to reduce efficiency in the hopes of preventing buildup during engine operations? Seems like there ought to be a better way, one that improves or doesn't reduce efficiency.
How about we take the ethanol out of the gasoline

Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #17
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Talking

Quote:
How about we take the ethanol out of the gasoline
Fuggin right! That chit sux!

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #18
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:

I don't think you can, that is one of the things I found when I took Shell to court. The station was buying their gas from a non-shell supplier, transported by mission perto carrier, and put into the tank at the station.

The commercials lie!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #19
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded_Buell View Post
The average consumer should know at this point that it's 99% marketing and almost any time you spend more for an advertised benefit you're paying for the advertised part.

Yea, it dosn't make sence.

xt on removing the corn ethanol, that is just a fuking stupid idea.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #20
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

How do we know if we are REALLY getting 93 octane if thats what we are paying for and some camel jockey is selling us watered down 87 oct for $2.00 a gal?

The reason I ask is, my busa HAS to have 93 octane, its actually beyond borderline for its survival as it is.....if they are selling 87 oct instead, I could melt my sh*t......

Can we take samples and send it off for testing somewhere so I know who the honest gas stations are?

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement