MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #21
markn8442

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

i'm pretty sure i've done 100 track days events

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
regardless of which one you go to ... get there early, set up and make as many friends as you can. I've found that people at trackdays are always more than happy to help and give advice ... you just gotta put yourself out there ... talk to instructors after each session for advice, the more you talk to them, the more they're gonna know you're looking for guidance and the more they'll be looking out for you on the track.

...this could be some of the best advice ever.
markn8442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Stereo Shop Recomendation Please CalamariKid Off Topic 10 05-25-2012 11:38 PM
Need Recomendation on m/c Trailer AFS_Racing General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 12-15-2011 09:17 PM
Recomendation for audio installation mrclean Off Topic 7 03-26-2010 11:52 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
recomendation invalidalias General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 11-01-2007 07:16 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #22
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
I've only been to two tracks so far, Texas World Speedway and MSR-Houston.

MSRH is technical with lots of turns, and TWS (Texas World Speedway) is a long fast track. People told me that MSRH would be tougher for me if I did TWS (Texas World Speedway) first and then went to MSRH and they were right, but I still loved it.

Keep that in mind too.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #23
GIXXERKELLY
Squid in training

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2003 Honda CR125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125

I did TTD for my first trackday. My next one will be with Ride Smart. You'll learn something regardless. I've heard nothing but positives about all the trackday peeps
Old 03-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #24
Herf
Drum Geek.

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2010 CBR 1000RR Witch!
Yours
Your Neighbors
Your Neighbors Neighbors
SPCA Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by POTATOHEAD View Post
I have finally decided that I need to do a track day. My question is where would you recomend my first experience be?

I was thinking about the Ride Smart event on 3/29. If I don't do that event I would not be able to make another event until after April 15 (tax season).

Location and price aren't really an issue. I just want to have the best time possible.

thanks for you help
Tater, I am doing Ride Smart on the 29th, this will be my 1st time out as well. I think I am going to MSR on the 21st to check out all the stuff and makes notes for the 29th. If ya wanna hook up let me know.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #25
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

I've riden with all the orgs. I liked and like TTD the best. Come check out MSRH on the 21st. Such a fun track!
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #26
Brena23
Mothernugget

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Scooter- 2004 metropoliten
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herf View Post
Tater, I am doing Ride Smart on the 29th, this will be my 1st time out as well. I think I am going to MSR on the 21st to check out all the stuff and makes notes for the 29th. If ya wanna hook up let me know.
we look forward to having you out
Brena23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #27
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I used to be all like, "I'm only riding with this org." Or, "I'll never ride with them again." etc etc etc.

Ya know what REALITY is? The reality is that once it has hold of you, you wont give a who it is with, you'll just want to get some track time.

If you have the money, and the time, just do as many as you can. Who cares who it is with?

Look up Buck Beasley if you want, HONESTLY, the most seat time for your money. Longhorn blows all the other schools away as far as seat time. But, if I am not mistaken he is invitaion only. Do a few track days, pick up your pace and you can probably get on the list.

I choose Ridesmart, but just because they are my preferred, doesnt mean that I would NOT go to a TTD or LSTD event. As a matter of fact, because of my racing aspirations this year, I will frequent a few LSTD events.

I can not speak on LSTD because I have not been there. But if I am not mistaken, grid capacities are set by the TRACK. I'll lay odds that if any org could sell 45 spots in a level (at MSR-H), they would. Maybe I am worng. Don't hold me to that. I know if I owned a business and was charging 160.00 per customer, why would I shut it off at 25? When I could generate another3200.00 by filling the grid to the tracks specifications?

I hear all this about over packed grids, but ya know what, having the obstacles on the track have made me a better rider. When I ride with traffic and have to learn to make clean passes and watch out for others, guess what happens when I run on a clear track? I am better. I mean, if you dont liek teh traffic, learn to pass.

And finally, if money is truly no issue as you stated, then go get some personal time with Ty Howard. You'll get teh whole track, with few students and argueably the fastest rdier in Texas. (I said ARGUEABLY!) I know that's what I would be doing if "money was no issue."

Last edited by cdill35; 03-11-2009 at 09:59 AM.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #28
Brena23
Mothernugget

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

Look up Buck Beasley if you want, HONESTLY, the most seat time for your money. Longhorn blows all the other schools away as far as seat time. But, if I am not mistaken he is invitaion only. Do a few track days, pick up your pace and you can probably get on the list.

If I remember correctly Buck will not be taking in any new riders as his is by invite only due to his busy life.

I can not speak on LSTD because I have not been there. But if I am not mistaken, grid capacities are set by the TRACK. I'll lay odds that if any org could sell 45 spots in a level (at MSR-H), they would. Maybe I am worng. Don't hold me to that. I know if I owned a business and was charging 160.00 per customer, why would I shut it off at 25? When I could generate another3200.00 by filling the grid to the tracks specifications?

We have sold out on several occasions and had people get turned away online and at the track. We do 30 MAX not including instructors for safety reasons. We do 25 MAX at MSRHin novice because most in that group do not have lines and are still getting used to the track so again, safety

I hear all this about over packed grids, but ya know what, having the obstacles on the track have made me a better rider. When I ride with traffic and have to learn to make clean passes and watch out for others, guess what happens when I run on a clear track? I am better. I mean, if you dont liek teh traffic, learn to pass.

Its just personal preferece, some people come out to have fun, to go fast, trying to learn lines for a race, and some are practicing for races. It all depends on what the riders are looking for, As for a Noob to the track I do not think and over packed grid is good or safe especially when they do not get as much attention from instructors. ( nothing against you I heard you where working your off trying to help as many as possible)

And finally, if money is truly no issue as you stated, then go get some personal time with Ty Howard. You'll get teh whole track, with few students and argueably the fastest rdier in Texas. (I said ARGUEABLY!) I know that's what I would be doing if "money was no issue."
Doing a race school is a great idea as it is just another thing to better yoruself on the track, but you need to learn to walk before you can run. You will take in much more from a race school if you learn the basics of the track first.

Satan ButtNuggets Mothernugget
Old 03-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #29
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Cool. I did not know yall capped novice at 25. Good info Brena.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #30
Brena23
Mothernugget

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Cool. I did not know yall capped novice at 25. Good info Brena.
It is different for each track. Tim can speak up for what they are at each track as they are different and I can never remember which is which except when people register and I see how many spots we have left in each group so I know when to lock it down

Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #31
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:

It's safety, and I'll elaborate below. Traffic complaints play a part, but not the driving force.
Quote:
Good discussion there Brandt, let me explain why LSTD does limit the number of riders.

Years ago, when LSTD was established, Steve/ Wade/ Jeff wanted to provide track time to folks so that they wouldn't have to travel to Florida, California, etc, and could get good quality track time locally. Safety is a huge part of the reason they created their policies. "Obstacles on the track" are the exact reason why folks go to the track instead of riding on the street- to NOT have "obstacles on the track".

There is a direct correlation between the number of riders on the track and the number of crashes/ off-track-excursions, and injuries caused by crashes by having high numbers of folks on the track.

We limit (and always have) the number of riders per track depending on the track size.

We also have 3 groups of riders based on skill for the same reason, so that there is more parity with riders on the track.

With limited numbers, I have still never had a problem passing/ being passed by people at track days.

YMMV, but that's why LSTD does it.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #32
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Tom-

What are your grid limits at TWS (Texas World Speedway)?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #33
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Tom-

What are your grid limits at TWS (Texas World Speedway)?
I think 30 per group... can't remember off the top of my head, I'll have to look at the web site.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #34
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
problem with overpacked grids.....or filled to the "track's" maximum limit.....there tends to be MORE wrecks for one reason or another. The time it takes to get riders off the track takes a tad longer....which takes away from track time. riding in advanced group you will hardly ever find a new personal best lap time. you'll spend the whole day learning how to pass....but that's about it. let's face it, passing people takes time away from laps.

of course if i was the track organizer i would want the most money possible also....but i'd also want to keep my customers happy. filling the grids up will make some people unhappy....but the price is substantially cheaper and some people may or probably not weigh them out. so the quote goes "you get what you pay for"

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #35
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
problem with overpacked grids.....or filled to the "track's" maximum limit.....there tends to be MORE wrecks for one reason or another. The time it takes to get riders off the track takes a tad longer....which takes away from track time. riding in advanced group you will hardly ever find a new personal best lap time. you'll spend the whole day learning how to pass....but that's about it. let's face it, passing people takes time away from laps.

of course if i was the track organizer i would want the most money possible also....but i'd also want to keep my customers happy. filling the grids up will make some people unhappy....but the price is substantially cheaper and some people may or probably not weigh them out. so the quote goes "you get what you pay for"

bingo.

Lower fees mean more riders necessary to make ends meet. Bottom line. And people need to understand that, instead of slingling the "over packed grids" mud. The grids are never more full than what the facility allows. You want smaller groups, then pay higher prices or contact the facility and ask them to lower there capacities. Under packed grids make some happy, lower prices make others happy. Every org has thier niche.

And I agree, I set a new personal best on an empty track friday. on saturday, I felt like I was riding my off, but was 2 seconds slower.

Last edited by cdill35; 03-11-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #36
Brena23
Mothernugget

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
It's safety, and I'll elaborate below. Traffic complaints play a part, but not the driving force.

Good discussion there Brandt, let me explain why LSTD does limit the number of riders.

Years ago, when LSTD was established, Steve/ Wade/ Jeff wanted to provide track time to folks so that they wouldn't have to travel to Florida, California, etc, and could get good quality track time locally. Safety is a huge part of the reason they created their policies. "Obstacles on the track" are the exact reason why folks go to the track instead of riding on the street- to NOT have "obstacles on the track".

There is a direct correlation between the number of riders on the track and the number of crashes/ off-track-excursions, and injuries caused by crashes by having high numbers of folks on the track.

We limit (and always have) the number of riders per track depending on the track size.

We also have 3 groups of riders based on skill for the same reason, so that there is more parity with riders on the track.

With limited numbers, I have still never had a problem passing/ being passed by people at track days.

YMMV, but that's why LSTD does it.

Tom please forgive me if this is something stupid or simple but what does the YMMV mean? I have seen you post it a few times and blain it on prego brain, I dont get it

Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #37
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

OP, so how long and how many miles have you ridden?

MSF ?

M license?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #38
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brena23 View Post
Tom please forgive me if this is something stupid or simple but what does the YMMV mean? I have seen you post it a few times and blain it on prego brain, I dont get it
YMMV = your mileage may vary

which means, may or may not be the same in your case.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #39
Brena23
Mothernugget

Bike(s):
2005 CRF450R - tarded
Mini-RM 65
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
YMMV = your mileage may vary

which means, may or may not be the same in your case.
Thank you!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #40
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

I'm not too worried about any of it because I am positive I am going to have a blast no matter where I go for my first trackday!

With that said I was told that with my "displacement challenged" bike that MSRH would be good as it has a lot of turns and not the longest straights to just get burned on over and over.

I will be cornerworking the 4-4 TWS (Texas World Speedway) Ridesmart trackday and will hopefully be out at MSRH on 4-25 with them to redeem my credit. Hope to meet you and all the rest of the guys out there
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement