MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #41
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
I still do not understand how a car can keep up with a bike on highways and open roads.

Hope both riders are ok.
Cars are no match to the liter bike but 600 isn't all that fast compared to the new cars. Then again, it's not the bike that can outrun the car but the riders' ability. In this story, it's the element of surprise that got the rider.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I almost hit a fellow biker!!! B. Seen General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 05-22-2012 04:11 PM
mountain biker gets hit hard! CUSTOM ZX-14 Off Topic 8 10-11-2011 08:25 AM
Biker gets hit from behind on dallas freeway. floyd600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 04-26-2011 08:00 PM
the wreck on beamer and scarsdale: biker kicks miata OMEGA General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 07-05-2008 06:09 PM
biker getting hit CarbonJames Off Topic 4 12-08-2005 09:01 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #42
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

dayum hope they find the fuggers
Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #43
Quicksilver

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Half-a-busa
Harley Davidson Fatboy / Fatbob (April 18, 2009)

Quote:
Originally Posted by didimao0072000 View Post
really? is this true? everything i've read shows that car braking is superior to motorcycle braking due to the area of the contact patch..
What is your experience on the road?? The contact patch matters if your vehicle skids and the friction of the tires will help slow down faster with 4 vs 2 tires. But most of the braking force is in the pads and disks. So it requires more force to stop a 2000lb vehicle compared to one weighing 500lbs if travelling at the same speed. If tire contact was the main issue, then all wheels on a vehicle should just lock and you slide to a stop. But someone invented ABS for a reason. Obviously, depending on what speed you are travelling at, then one is better than the other. But who travels at 150mph? Anyway, will check it out for ya.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #44
Bean
you like apples?

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

*****Just the other day*****

I was in the center lane going 288 northbound through Pearland when a Lexus coupe entered at F.M. 518 last Thursday. Saw him switching into the center lane before the solid white expired on the entrance ramp, so I adjusted accordingly going to the far left lane - left hand side of the lane. Fvcker kept coming over, so I braked and swung back around to the middle lane. Guy was talking on his cell, switching 3 - 3 1/2 lanes w/o a blinker. Next thing I know, the guy is motioning for me to pull over. He was pacing me until the Beltway exit where I pulled off. He followed right behind me. Stopped at the light - still right behind me and kept my eye on him. He was a school yard special - all talk. However, I had an exit to the right if needed. Definitely wasn't picking a fight, but I wasn't going to go a few miles out of my way if I didn't need to. Light turned green to go under the beltway and I moved around the one truck in front of me to give me the space I needed to eliminate this j@ckoff as a threat. Picked up the Belt and I was on my way, idiot left behind. Trust me, I was skeptical about stopping, but I made sure that there was adequate space for me to escape if he had decided to flex his miniscule nuts at the light.

Be safe out there everyone and watch your 6! (3/9/12 too)

Hope they catch the perps in the OP.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #45
didimao0072000

Bike(s):
50cc metropolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
What is your experience on the road?? The contact patch matters if your vehicle skids and the friction of the tires will help slow down faster with 4 vs 2 tires. But most of the braking force is in the pads and disks. So it requires more force to stop a 2000lb vehicle compared to one weighing 500lbs if travelling at the same speed. If tire contact was the main issue, then all wheels on a vehicle should just lock and you slide to a stop. But someone invented ABS for a reason. Obviously, depending on what speed you are travelling at, then one is better than the other. But who travels at 150mph? Anyway, will check it out for ya.
say what? the contact patch matters when you're braking, turning, and accelerating. At correct maximum straightline braking for a non abs bike, the bike will perform a stoppie and all braking force is on the front tire only. A car (not a two ton truck/bus/etc/) will still have four contact patches at maximum braking so the a car will always have a shorter stopping distance..
didimao0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #46
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Regardless of contact patch, you have to include the enertia of the vehicle, i.e. weight.

Using your theory, my 5800# 4x4 with 33 x 12.50 tires should out stop the average compact car. Not gonna happen.

I can stop my old heavy bike in quite a bit shorter distance than a car.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #47
quicksaveme

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileono918 View Post
Where were you last night? You are the main suspect at this time in the MH investigation

oh just chillin drivin my new white truck

But for real, that's pretty ballsy
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #48
Bean
you like apples?

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

Cars vs. bikes stopping has been debated over and over...you'll find information lending itself to both sides:

Assuming the rider is capable, a sport bike will outbrake almost any street car. Race cars, which are stripped/winged/etc are a different story.

Road and track did a 0-100mph-0 test involving a bunch of cars back in the day. They also brought a long a zx-9r, which managed to do 0-100-0 before the fastest car was able to even hit 100. The braking distance from 100 mph was 320 ft for the bike and 351 for the fastest braking car (porsche 911 turbo). This was back in 1994, though.. so tech has changed, but Im not sure if the advances in car braking have been enough to make up the differential. The car certainly has more traction, but not enough to compensate for the fact that the bike has much less mass relative to its braking swept area.

Top end cars (lambo, porsche/some, etc) will out brake a bike, however your mom's grocery getter, NO - don't forget about engine braking as well, so there are more stopping forces at play than just your brakes when determining overal distance to 0mph.

Moral of the story? - Regardless of who brakes faster, be smarter and more aware of what's going on around you to make this a MUTE point!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #49
ChrisGo

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
gsxr600-sold
looking for a trackbike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
Cars vs. bikes stopping has been debated over and over...you'll find information lending itself to both sides:

Assuming the rider is capable, a sport bike will outbrake almost any street car. Race cars, which are stripped/winged/etc are a different story.

Road and track did a 0-100mph-0 test involving a bunch of cars back in the day. They also brought a long a zx-9r, which managed to do 0-100-0 before the fastest car was able to even hit 100. The braking distance from 100 mph was 320 ft for the bike and 351 for the fastest braking car (porsche 911 turbo). This was back in 1994, though.. so tech has changed, but Im not sure if the advances in car braking have been enough to make up the differential. The car certainly has more traction, but not enough to compensate for the fact that the bike has much less mass relative to its braking swept area.

Top end cars (lambo, porsche/some, etc) will out brake a bike, however your mom's grocery getter, NO - don't forget about engine braking as well, so there are more stopping forces at play than just your brakes when determining overal distance to 0mph.

Moral of the story? - Regardless of who brakes faster, be smarter and more aware of what's going on around you to make this a MUTE point!
Go make another thread! Your all wrong and have absolutely no idea what your talking about. You are only considering static and dynamic friction forces when there are many more tire models in mechanical engineering involved. Prove me wrong in another thread.

To the O.P and the others involved in these situations, do you think your situation called for deadly force? In other words, if you had a gun and a CHL would you have used it?
ChrisGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #50
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Just seems like there is more to the story as to why it all started.
I was just thinking the same thing. Not that it justifies it but there are always 2 sides.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #51
Quicksilver

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Half-a-busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post
To the O.P and the others involved in these situations, do you think your situation called for deadly force? In other words, if you had a gun and a CHL would you have used it?
No.... since "you" were knocked off the bike and the driver is heading down the road, then your life is not being threatened anymore, so legally you should not use deadly force. How are you going to explain to the jury why the driver was shot in the back of the head from 50yds away.

Yes....if you were swerved at twice and you got off the bike, then they raced the car at you to run you over, then your life is being threatened, so legally you could use deadly force. You can explain that they tried to knock you off 2 times earlier and you fear it was going to escalate to them trying to hit you from the back, that is why you stop and got off the bike instead of riding away at high speed on residential street. Then they charged you with the bike and you had no where to go, but send them to their maker.

Last edited by Quicksilver; 03-10-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #52
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #53
c0rey

Bike(s):
450x

Send a message via AIM to c0rey
ill keep my eyes out for you around the scarsdale area.
c0rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #54
Quicksilver

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Half-a-busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonch73 View Post
Also something to think about, make sure your shells were loaded into the mag while wearing gloves. If you're CHL and you unload on someone's car then they report you and the popo shows, your prints are going to be laying around everywhere.
You don't need to be carrying a gun if:
1. you feel the need to load the bullets wearing gloves so your fingerprints are not on them. most new guns have the bullet with striation on file with manufacturer/ATF when you buy the gun. That is the purpose for that empty shell in an envelope with a new gun. To let you know that they know that you know that they can trace your gun. The cops will look for the bullet, it is more definitive.
2. you pulled a gun and you are worried about someone reporting you. Then maybe you shouldn't have pulled it, because you are probably a poor decision maker and will get your in deep real soon real fast.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #55
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #56
Trung
rip chad jones

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonch73 View Post
I doubt CHL would have helped here. If the car was chasing him down, he'd have to stop to draw the gun. It also sounds like the guys caught him by surprise by hitting him from the rear. Now if he had lured them into the lot and got off the bike then it would be ON. A good friend of mine emptied a 9mm across the hood of a guys civic who had tailed him for miles and he couldn't shake no matter how many turns & cuts he made. Friend told me he didn't realize a honda could smoke the tires in reverse.

Also something to think about, make sure your shells were loaded into the mag while wearing gloves. If you're CHL and you unload on someone's car then they report you and the popo shows, your prints are going to be laying around everywhere.
if your friend cant get away from a honda civic, he shouldn't be riding
Trung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #57
CDN_bacon
Eh?

Bike(s):
VFR800
CRF 250X

was the police called out? Hopefully they check traffic cams or security tapes from nearby stores...

...that is majorily ****ed up though
CDN_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #58
Bean
you like apples?

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxxer600 View Post
Go make another thread! Your all wrong and have absolutely no idea what your talking about. You are only considering static and dynamic friction forces when there are many more tire models in mechanical engineering involved. Prove me wrong in another thread.

How about prove yourself right? As I mentioned, you will find information lending itself to BOTH sides of the arguement. I quoted Road and Track, not spouting what I think off the top of my head. Main point - refer to the moral of the story

Last edited by Bean; 03-12-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #59
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
there are some f***ed up people out there
Ture that, no regard for human life ,they need the court books thrown at them.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #60
Sniper1
Long Range Diplomat

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki RM250

If I was hit by car, I would not draw my weapon. How would you justify that.

So if some soccer mom in a van sideswiped you and kept driving, you would draw your weapon and fire into the back of the minivan?

HOWEVER, if I was involved in an altercation at a bar. I sure would pay serious attention to surroundings as I left and approached my car/bike. Even watching to see if anyone followed me and such.

Ive actually walked circles around a parking lot after an altercation at a Time Out Bar.

Situational Awareness.

Advertisement