Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #61
gsxr_firerider
you lite em, we fight em

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600- sold

well, i personally hope i dont ever have any kind of mark on my file, let alone would i call one in on myself. forbid i ever do mess something up, by pure mistake, i dont wanna be in a court room getting something from prior held over my head, or used against me. especially something i reported myself. that doesnt make much sense. thats just adding fuel to the fire.
gsxr_firerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trackside motorcycle carrier hoss1158 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-01-2013 12:20 PM
Trackside motorcycle stands jakeg General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 08-31-2011 03:46 PM
Medics? SeenTooMuch Off Topic 32 04-27-2010 10:29 AM
?? for trackside campers rc51eviltwin Taking it to the Track 26 07-22-2008 09:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #62
JP171

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr_firerider View Post
man, must have been bad straight out of the academy, heck maybe even in it huh? your contradicting yourself. 1.) youre saying young medics with lack of experience, need a good medic with experience to help guide/train/mold them. that good, experienced trained medic to be there to watch over them and step in if they happen to drop the ball. 2.) then you say if you see them screw up, youre gonna drop dime on them to their supervisor, and call up tdh and snitch em out. i'm glad you weren't my mentor. maybe in this "perfect world" that you work in, well trained/experienced bad ace medics/ff's just step out of a time portal, ready to rock n roll.
ok first off, yea I was a bad ****a straight out of school I had good people helping me learn, and I thank each and everyone for teaching me the right way to manage PT care. I will call a supervisor on a substandard asshat so riktic it would melt your panties, and I will notify DSHS if they really fukk your dog. Remember this too if I am asked I will give every ounce of my knowledge,skill and experience to help teach a new EMT so that they don't kill anyone from either incompetance or over excitement. so think of it this way if they are my preceptee I will make sure they DO NOT KILL the PT on my bus BTW FYI my first state test at Paramedic in 1991 was a 98 asshat, my last was the NR EMT-P CBT and it booted me at, hmmm what was the minimum number of questions again? OH YEA SFB its .......... 73 questions WOOHOOOO and hoo-yaa oh and BTW TDH doesn't exist anymore so get your straight before you call this kettle black

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr_firerider View Post
yeah, the person who screwed up. especially if its someone new, fresh out of the classroom. how else are they supposed to learn. now dont get me wrong, im not talking about a life altering decision that killed somebody. but if its a brand new medic or emt, whats the point in calling tdh and getting the guys cert possibly ripped from him?

the problem with your supposition is that a L/D come unannounced and if they don't have it together what happens? thats why we have a procedure to protocol any new medic, the new guys at most of the places I have worked and ridden as a volly have an internal preception program to help along the new medic out of school, they aren't let go without a good idea of their own ablility and knowledge, then are always instructed to call for a higher patch if they can't handle the call, there is never any repercussion to calling for help.

my thing about droping a dime on someone is that I would rather call a supervisor and have them get retraining than kill some one, I have been at this for quite some time as you can see I tested for my EMT in 1988 and passed the first time with a 97 on the written and a perfect 1st go on skills, my Paramonkey was a 98 and IP on BTLS and ACLS first time, so yea I do expect the new EMT's to have better knowledge and skills, but what I have seen in the last few years is poor perfomance from most of them, I think that the lesser of the 2 evils is to drop the dime as opposed to telling someone that their loved one has died due to a stoopid that didn't know their from a hole in the ground

unfortunatly DSHS doesn't have the original records from when you were certifiad the first time available on line, wanna look up if you want 14469

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #63
gsxr_firerider
you lite em, we fight em

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600- sold

well im glad you started with all the wisdom and skills you did. however, most do not. as i stated i wasn't talking about someone the pooch so bad, they killed someone. if you, or anyone other experienced preceptor, has someone come remotely close to this, you should have stepped in a long time ago. i stand corrected on the tdh. my mistake for leaving the "s" for state out of texas department of state health. tdsh. this is the most common route for someone seeking the career of firefighter or medic. some get experience volunteering, however alot dont. so they go sign up to take an emt program. this is taught by " highly experienced medics", most doing it on a side. as with most, it is a side job, and most dont put effort into it. it is an extra check on their day off. however their is an exception. there are very good instructors. i was lucky enough to get a good one, and i know others who werent. in my opinion, thats where the lack of training begins. if you wanna point the finger, dont point it at the young, unexperienced medic who couldnt pull the experience out of thin air. point it at the program he got certified through and the instructors who didnt put forth the effort or time to train them better. but sure put forth the time to collect that tuition money and cash that side job check. yes there are numerous private ambulance companies in the state, especially in the houston area. until the state does something about, any dumb with the initiative, can throw one of the bootleg operations together and call themselves ems providers. its the tracks fault for not researching these "providers". you also get what you pay for. if youre looking for the lowest costing private ambulance company to be on standby at your events, youre probably not gonna the best medical care. maybe i misunderstood about what you were talking about dropping dime. i apologize. i completely agree, if youre training someone, who keeps dropping the ball, yes you should report it. especially if its from stupidity. if its from just being new and being nervous, sitting that person and down and working with them is the route, in my opinion. but a person in training should never come close to being able to make a decision that could kill someone, let alone have the situation get that far.
gsxr_firerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #64
JP171

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

GSXR Firefighter I agree with what your saying in the above post, the system is indeed broken, all of us as EMT's need to try to ensure it gets fixed, baby medics are like baby MD's they have the classroom knowledge. but we all have the responsibility to try to help them learn, my preceptors and the medics at the volly service were great in helping me learn. We all need to try and pass that on. The instructors all are trying to cram too much into a short time, and with the changes in the testing system(not for the better) things are real screwed up. I have in the past seen a person who is on a bus doing things that could cause more injury, I have called and talked to the training supervisors and let them know, not to get a guy fired but to try in what capacity I can that there is a deficiency in the training. Think of it this way, and ask yourself, how do you treat someone that comes up to you on the street and says "hey I'm a medic" or they meet you when your bus pulls up, and they tell you what is going on. the question is, how do you treat them? do you as most people(EMT's) because you don't know this person from adam and the PT is your priority so you blow them off or ignore them or be nasty to them? this is the standard way that the person on the bus treats someone they don't know, and they sure aren't willing to take constructive criticism(sp?) from "some bystander asshat" . I have had the medics from Texas City, League City and Houston all do this to me at one time or another, and sometimes I have had the privilege of having them be embarressed by their own supervisors when they get told, that their super. knows me and basically adjusts the attitude due to my being a higher patch, with a shitload more experience.

DSHS, department of state health services. they don't have the Texas on there, the patches have even changed they have DSHS on them now.

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php

Last edited by JP171; 03-11-2009 at 07:53 AM.
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote