MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

why we crash

completly and blantantly stolen by me from another board

Before heading out onto the roads it might be wise to remind ourselves why riders crash. The attached article was written by Nick Ienatsch in the 2001 edition of Sportbike. For those of you who can't download or can't be bothered to read the entire article, here is the Cliff Notes version:-

1. We crash on cold tires. Respect them by giving them a few miles to warm up, especially if they're brand new. After stopping to bench race remember you're not the only thing that has cooled down, warm those tires up again.

2. We crash on overloaded tires. If you're rusty after a winter layoff applying too much throttle or brake while leaned over is a recipe for disaster. Modern tires can provide amazing levels of traction but they're not immune to ham fisted control inputs. An early season Survival Reaction (SR) of grabbing a handful of front brake while leaned over will land you in the weeds. Our early season rides are often full of SR's as we try to pick up where we left off last season. Don't let and early season SR end your season early!

3. We crash trying to keep up. Ultimate speed on a backroad has little to do with the bike and everything to do with the rider. Once you realize this, twisting the throttle WFO to keep your friends in sight on the straights while losing them in the corners becomes a non-option. Ride your own pace.

4. We crash because we want to go fast. Sometimes, even the posted speed limit is inappropriate. Coming over a blind crest at 45mph might be too fast if you can't stop the bike before hitting the hazard you only see when it's too late. Speed reduces time (to react) and adds distance (to react) in emergency situations.

5. We crash because we bail out. How many posts have there been on SBN, Cycleforums and here about entering a corner too hot, standing the bike up and running out of road before getting the bike stopped. Too hot means your brain is probably freaked out but there is still plenty of tire traction available. LOOK through the corner, LEAN the bike until hard parts drag, BELIEVE in modern tire technology.

6. We crash because we lose our focus. The bike travels 88 feet per second at 60 mph. A moment's inattention puts you that much farther into a corner. Think about the next corner not the one you just blew. That one is over, focus on getting the next one right.

7. We crash because we rush corner entrances. Slow in, fast out works for racers season after season. It works for road riders too. Slow down a bit on your corner entrances and see how much smoother you become. Many single vehicle crashes on Deals Gap occur because a corner entrance gets rushed and the rider commits sins 5 and 6 in the ensuing panic.

8. We crash because we can't keep up with the motorcycle. Make sure your software is the equal of your bikes hardware. I've been riding nearly 30 years and bought a GSXR 1000 in 2001. It's hard work riding that bike, I'm glad I have 30 years of experience, track schools and track days to help me stay ahead of the front wheel.

I hope you'll read the whole article, Nick Ienatsch is a highly skilled and knowledgeable rider and deserves a read.

Ride safe, ride fast and enjoy the upcoming riding season. All of it.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow motion crash motorcycle crash test Txlonestar General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 12-22-2005 08:01 PM
Would this cause you crash also? Steve O Chap General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-07-2005 07:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Charliebrown

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
zzr

Amen.
Charliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
mr_Lee
the power of dreams.

Bike(s):
08' 600rr

Send a message via AIM to mr_Lee
Interesting read
mr_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Please place link to full article.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Great read. I am guilty of #1. Live and Learn!
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

True dat.

And finally...we crash because we are human.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

The book Sport Riding Techniques is full of excellent info, aimed more at the street than the track, altho it all applies...

#1 reason why people crash? Treating the street like a racetrack, and forgetting that the roads you rode yesterday/last week/last month just might have changed since you saw them last. 70-80% is about it for the street, and you're kidding yourself if you think you can use more and get away with it, over and over....

And your 70% isn't the same as the guy you are trying to keep up with.... or leading into the next corner at a "comfortable" pace... know your limits.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
BadApple
What?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 CRF450X SuperMotard
2002 *ROCKSTAR* xr50

Member Garage

Great post
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

And one more...

Because it is so much easier to get comfortable with twisting the right wrist... as opposed to that braking and turning stuff....

Raise your hand if you are comfy with hard braking in mid-turn? Anyone?
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
Trung
rip chad jones

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years

very good read and reminder
Trung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
iCole
The iPhone guy

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
GSX-R 250

Thank you
iCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

why we crash

because of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

yep, that about sums it up
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
Spidermonkey
TTD's home grown

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650 trackbike/08 zx6 sold(i loved it)/ 08 R6 (head shakes!)

trackdays: 98

very good post. thanks for sharing
Old 03-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #17
kingralphthe3rd
larry's fan club manager

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 1K (SOLD!!) 08 GSXR 750 & 07 DIZZER 400, 09 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
completly and blantantly stolen by me from another board

Before heading out onto the roads it might be wise to remind ourselves why riders crash. The attached article was written by Nick Ienatsch in the 2001 edition of Sportbike. For those of you who can't download or can't be bothered to read the entire article, here is the Cliff Notes version:-

1. We crash on cold tires. Respect them by giving them a few miles to warm up, especially if they're brand new. After stopping to bench race remember you're not the only thing that has cooled down, warm those tires up again.

2. We crash on overloaded tires. If you're rusty after a winter layoff applying too much throttle or brake while leaned over is a recipe for disaster. Modern tires can provide amazing levels of traction but they're not immune to ham fisted control inputs. An early season Survival Reaction (SR) of grabbing a handful of front brake while leaned over will land you in the weeds. Our early season rides are often full of SR's as we try to pick up where we left off last season. Don't let and early season SR end your season early!

3. We crash trying to keep up. Ultimate speed on a backroad has little to do with the bike and everything to do with the rider. Once you realize this, twisting the throttle WFO to keep your friends in sight on the straights while losing them in the corners becomes a non-option. Ride your own pace.

4. We crash because we want to go fast. Sometimes, even the posted speed limit is inappropriate. Coming over a blind crest at 45mph might be too fast if you can't stop the bike before hitting the hazard you only see when it's too late. Speed reduces time (to react) and adds distance (to react) in emergency situations.

5. We crash because we bail out. How many posts have there been on SBN, Cycleforums and here about entering a corner too hot, standing the bike up and running out of road before getting the bike stopped. Too hot means your brain is probably freaked out but there is still plenty of tire traction available. LOOK through the corner, LEAN the bike until hard parts drag, BELIEVE in modern tire technology.

6. We crash because we lose our focus. The bike travels 88 feet per second at 60 mph. A moment's inattention puts you that much farther into a corner. Think about the next corner not the one you just blew. That one is over, focus on getting the next one right.

7. We crash because we rush corner entrances. Slow in, fast out works for racers season after season. It works for road riders too. Slow down a bit on your corner entrances and see how much smoother you become. Many single vehicle crashes on Deals Gap occur because a corner entrance gets rushed and the rider commits sins 5 and 6 in the ensuing panic.

8. We crash because we can't keep up with the motorcycle. Make sure your software is the equal of your bikes hardware. I've been riding nearly 30 years and bought a GSXR 1000 in 2001. It's hard work riding that bike, I'm glad I have 30 years of experience, track schools and track days to help me stay ahead of the front wheel.

I hope you'll read the whole article, Nick Ienatsch is a highly skilled and knowledgeable rider and deserves a read.

Ride safe, ride fast and enjoy the upcoming riding season. All of it.

because we havent taken msf ?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #18
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

i dont crash the road just hits me.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)