MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
mcd

Feedback Rating: (0)

GSXR 600 suspension set up

Need to set up the stock suspension on my 07 GSXR 600 for the track. I am 205 lbs, is that asking too much out of stock suspension?

I am looking for some numbers on the set up? Front and rear sag, and ride height numbers. I have heard that the front forks should be flush with the top triple on this bike. When I ride the bike around the neighborhood with the forks flush, the rear end feels pretty low to me. Maybe the seat height is lower than other bikes I have riden, but just an observation.

Any of you racers/trackday guys/suspension gurus want to share your set up with me?

Thanks.
mcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension set up. albertinhouston Motorcycles Unlimited 7 07-08-2013 01:07 PM
Suspension Set Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 06-07-2013 06:37 PM
need help (pics) with '06/'07 gsxr 600/750 suspension Jae General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 03-01-2010 08:29 PM
need part. right side rear set mount for 03 gsxr 600 jheeziee110 Stunters Lounge 0 10-31-2008 05:27 PM
Suspension set up Psych0ninja General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 02-20-2008 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

def have it raked out as far as you can get it
Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited did my setup for me, you should get with him and see what it will take to get your stock stuff movin.....i ran my stock suspension for a few months, and this is what they did for me.....

my forks are recessed into the triple by 8mm (still is with the ak20's, soon as i get fork cap extenders, they will be recessed in about 10-12mm)

my rear shock, Motorcycles Unlimited shimmed it to raise it up 4mm. with my penske shock, we raised the ride height to measure 324mm from eye to eye.

if you want to know exactly why we raise these bikes up, and want to understand more about the suspension....get with Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited...he'll explain everything in terms you may or may not understand.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

ok,this being said and of course the guys at Motorcycles Unlimited know what they are doing i know.
but i thought raking it would make the bike turn in slower.
i realize you are also lifting the front (prolly for better ckearance i assume)but will 4mm even it up or is the end still lower proportionately<sp>?
i think 4mm at the shock point will make for about 12mm at the axle....so this makes sence
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51eviltwin View Post
ok,this being said and of course the guys at Motorcycles Unlimited know what they are doing i know.
but i thought raking it would make the bike turn in slower.
i realize you are also lifting the front (prolly for better ckearance i assume)but will 4mm even it up or is the end still lower proportionately<sp>?
i think 4mm at the shock point will make for about 12mm at the axle....so this makes sence
yes, raising only the front will make the bike turn in a bit slower....but that is where the rear comes into play also. the gsxr600/750 (06+) likes to sit up higher. even lifted up, it has a great turn in, and also adds to stability. the reason for raising the bike is for more swingarm angle, and blah blah blah.....i could go on, but i can't repeat exactly why and what is done.....i just let Motorcycles Unlimited turn the wrenches on my suspension and just go out there and ride. good enough to put many riders on the podium. can't argue with results

look at all the experts running gsxr600/750's (06+)....take a look at their fork caps. i would bet 95% of them have fork cap extenders on their bikes.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
rc51eviltwin

yes swing arm angle will shorten bike.
all makes sence,but not til someone else says it,
why didnt i think of that?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Depends on tires.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
puertorico600r

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
R6

i been wanting to set up my suspension but i usually ride 2 up can it still be done?
puertorico600r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
mcd

Thanks for the input. Looks like I got some work ahead of me to get this thing set up for the track.

My next question is would it be cost effective to work the stock rear shock for my weight, or to look into a used aftermarket shock? How complicated is it to shim the stock rear shock? I have heard that the stock rear shock will tear up the rear tire.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
mcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
i ran my stock suspension for a few months, and this is what they did for me.....

my forks are recessed into the triple by 8mm (still is with the ak20's, soon as i get fork cap extenders, they will be recessed in about 10-12mm)

my rear shock, Motorcycles Unlimited shimmed it to raise it up 4mm. with my penske shock, we raised the ride height to measure 324mm from eye to eye.
Are you able to run the stock forks recessed without modification to the forks, or do you need the extenders?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
rc51eviltwin

i think can drop the forks about 8-10 mm. as they are.
i think you have to be kindda fast too shred tires wth stock shock.
if its the first time i wouldnt worry too muchabout it.
just save for shock rated for your weight,ive seen some fast mofos on stock shox.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
vlaleal

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 600
07 gsxr 600 (track)

I'm a 200 lbs rider too with the same bike and I replaced the rear spring as well as the forks internals, it is the best way to go. My suspension was done by Andy at metric motorcycle.
vlaleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Andy did mine too at Metric and I stuck with the stock shock and I had him rebuild/ revalve it. He made shims for the shock with different heights so I can change them out if necessary, and I went with the correct spring for me, I'll see how it does on the 13th... I may be ordering another Penske or Ohlins if I don't like it I'm spoiled with shocks, I've never had a stocker on any of my bikes on the track.

We did the Racetech Racing Rebound Gold Valve system with springs, and some special lovin' Andy does to forks to make them smooooooth as glass on our roughest tracks. We're also dropping the forks in the triple and starting out at 8mm. I can see fork extenders in my future...

On my last suspension Andy built, the coolest thing was that the faster I went, the better the suspension worked. He's a guru to be sure.

The long and short of it is that for the forks, the correct springs and a Gold Valve kit will be a wonderous change. Correctly setting up the suspension for you is essential (using someone else's numbers is pretty silly IMHO, spend the cabbage to get it done for you personally). Rebuilding or simply servicing the stock shock and replacing the spring with the correct spring can yield great results too.

Depending on your skill level, the stock suspension is usually just fine. Since you're asking this question, I'm guessing you're still pretty new to the track, sorry if I'm off base with that.

I'd ride stock (well serviced) suspension first and spend the money on springs/ valves/ etc after you gain some experience.

If you have the money laying around and want to get the suspension now, there are plenty of good shops that will be clammering for you to give it to them!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #14
GIXXERKELLY
Squid in training

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2003 Honda CR125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Andy did mine too at Metric and I stuck with the stock shock and I had him rebuild/ revalve it. He made shims for the shock with different heights so I can change them out if necessary, and I went with the correct spring for me, I'll see how it does on the 13th... I may be ordering another Penske or Ohlins if I don't like it I'm spoiled with shocks, I've never had a stocker on any of my bikes on the track.

We did the Racetech Racing Rebound Gold Valve system with springs, and some special lovin' Andy does to forks to make them smooooooth as glass on our roughest tracks. We're also dropping the forks in the triple and starting out at 8mm. I can see fork extenders in my future...

On my last suspension Andy built, the coolest thing was that the faster I went, the better the suspension worked. He's a guru to be sure.

The long and short of it is that for the forks, the correct springs and a Gold Valve kit will be a wonderous change. Correctly setting up the suspension for you is essential (using someone else's numbers is pretty silly IMHO, spend the cabbage to get it done for you personally). Rebuilding or simply servicing the stock shock and replacing the spring with the correct spring can yield great results too.

Depending on your skill level, the stock suspension is usually just fine. Since you're asking this question, I'm guessing you're still pretty new to the track, sorry if I'm off base with that.

I'd ride stock (well serviced) suspension first and spend the money on springs/ valves/ etc after you gain some experience.

If you have the money laying around and want to get the suspension now, there are plenty of good shops that will be clammering for you to give it to them!
Is it a waste of money to upgrade the suspension when just starting to do track days?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #15
mcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Correctly setting up the suspension for you is essential (using someone else's numbers is pretty silly IMHO, spend the cabbage to get it done for you personally).

Since you're asking this question, I'm guessing you're still pretty new to the track, sorry if I'm off base with that.
Thanks for the info Tom. I am trying to find a good starting point for set up. I understand that everybody's numbers differ slightly, and preference does play a role in it. Just trying to start from a good point, rather than just a guess on my part.

I am not new to the track, done three seasons of trackdays. I am not claiming to be fast, but not a noob either.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIXXERKELLY View Post
Is it a waste of money to upgrade the suspension when just starting to do track days?
No, not a waste, but I'd probably spend the money elsewhere. If you have some money to spend, do it, but if not, I'd stick with well maintained stock (fluids and gasses fresh, no leaks, etc) and go from there. To a person new to the track, the stock suspension is usually pretty adequate unless you're a fattass like me...

Spend the money on seat time first, then decide where you'd like to make improvements.

Suspension and brakes are always the first thing I do to a bike- way before exhaust and any ad-ons for the engine. If you're considering anything like exhaust or PCIII or something, I'd fore-go that for suspension/ brakes.

I just got done putting my Vesrah RJL pads, Goodridge lines, and Brembo master together yesterday, it should be enough to stop a freight train!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd View Post
Thanks for the info Tom. I am trying to find a good starting point for set up. I understand that everybody's numbers differ slightly, and preference does play a role in it. Just trying to start from a good point, rather than just a guess on my part.
As far as lowering the forks and raising the shock, the 5-8mm drop in forks seems to be a popular starting point, and shimming the shock about 10mm or so seems to be popular too with the '06-newer GSXR.

I think Patrick only charges like $35 for a custom setup with sag/ suspension geometry changes for your bike. Money well spent. I'm sure the other suspension builders do the same thing for about the same money.

Patrick used to set up my bike at the track and has always done a fantastic job of dialing me in when I had issues. He and Brandon don't make it to the track very often any more, but the shop is open Tuesday- Saturday for you to visit and get the job done

Last edited by tomLSTD; 03-06-2009 at 09:52 AM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #17
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIXXERKELLY View Post
not necessarily, but if you have only done less than a handful of trackdays, then yes....it is a waste of money (unless you have a bottomless pit of money, than have at it).

i am 215 lbs, and ran my stock suspension to some pretty fast times at MSR-H, TWS (Texas World Speedway), and Barber Motorsports Park. just make sure you have the stock stuff setup correctly for your weight and riding style.

give patrick a call at 281-444-0545, he's up on 1960 near kuykendahl and can have you setup in no time.

if you have money to spend, and plan on doing a lot more trackdays, and want to go faster and faster....than i would suggest going with some AK20 fork cartridges, and a penske triple clicker shock. I have those on my gsxr, and it's given me the confidence to run with the front runners at the CMRA races. I also have racetech forks on my SV650 along with an ohlins shock....and that has also taken me to the podium twice last race. results say more than enough

Advertisement