MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #21
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

I know of people who have picked up the M without even owning a bike.

As I recall they took the safety course, through a Harley dealer, Dealer provided the bike. I think they provide a Buel Blast for the course.

With your safety cert in hand go to the DPS and take the written test.

Pass and you get the M

Good Luck
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motorcycle class advice needed! zaybrad Moto Insurance 5 03-22-2013 03:28 PM
M class needed 03Gixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 03-20-2013 07:54 PM
getting a bike back the legal way Urandaman General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 06-10-2010 10:47 AM
Legal Advice Needed ThomasNinja650 Off Topic 17 01-16-2010 01:03 AM
license plate at the bike, is this legal? RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 10-07-2009 10:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #22
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1340HIGH View Post
I know of people who have picked up the M without even owning a bike.

As I recall they took the safety course, through a Harley dealer, Dealer provided the bike. I think they provide a Buel Blast for the course.

With your safety cert in hand go to the DPS and take the written test.

Pass and you get the M

Good Luck
I can only imagine how painful the basic rider course would be after 26 years of daily riding, 4 years of racing, 3 years working at a shop, 50+ bikes owned and wrenched on, and 72 bazzillion hours reading bike related stuff on the web! Well, actually, riding a new bike would be fun, as would be trying to do the slow riding thing.

That said, I'm sure I would still learn something. But I'd rather use the weekend for pulling my own teeth out with plyers.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #23
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajib View Post
Between the two of us, I'm available any day besides Tuesdays and Thursdays all day. As well as Justine is available in the mornings likewise as you.
How about Friday? You'd be my new hero!

Mr. P
Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #24
neiN

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

Shadman if you don't want to go far for a bike i can loan you my 03 r6 for the day i stay off of hwy 6 and beechnut
neiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #25
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
I can only imagine how painful the basic rider course would be after 26 years of daily riding, 4 years of racing, 3 years working at a shop, 50+ bikes owned and wrenched on, and 72 bazzillion hours reading bike related stuff on the web! Well, actually, riding a new bike would be fun, as would be trying to do the slow riding thing.

That said, I'm sure I would still learn something. But I'd rather use the weekend for pulling my own teeth out with plyers.
"Great couple of days! Learned more than I expected. Thanks!!"
Male, Age- 49, Experience- 20+ years

"One of the funniest classes I have ever taken"
Male, Age- 30, Experience- 22 years

"Excellent class. Will highly recommend basic course to even experienced riders. Will be back for advanced course in near future. Keep up the good work, absolutely awesome!!"
Male, Age- 35, Experience- 25 years

"This was by far the best driving instruction school I have ever attended."
Male, Age- 57, Experience- 45 years

"For the money, this was exceptional - I bet people pay a lot more and learn less. I am coming back for the Experienced class - Awesome dude!"
Male, Age- 44, Experience- 30 years

"I wish I would have taken this class in 1973 when I started riding. Bad habits are hard to break. My son who has never rode a bike and myself had an eye opening experience. Safety was stressed learning, thank all of you"
Male, Age- 53, Experience- 15 years

"I have been riding all my life, this course has opened my mind to so many different aspects of my surroundings."
Male, Age- 43, Experience- 30 years

"I got immensely more from this course than anticipated - I'll return for additional courses."
Female, Age- 65, Experience- 40 years

"I have been riding for some years, learning all of the wrong methods of riding safely, etc. This course has put me on track with all that is necessary for me to continue riding and enjoying this hobby for a long time to come. I feel I'll be back for the experienced course."
Male, Age- 73, Experience- 30 years

"Just "AWESOME"!!!"
Female, Age- 43, Experience- 30 years

Opinions vary.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #26
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something here.

You want to take the riders portion of the test to get your motorcycle license.

Have you taken the written portion yet? If you pass that, you get an M endorsement with a restriction on it that there must be a licensed rider nearby. Except for the restriction it is a valid license. I know this because when I had the restriction I got stopped but the officer missed the restriction so I wasn't cited for not having a license.

When you take the riding portion, both you on your bike plus a person in a car must go to the DMV . Since you don't have a license, you cannot ride the bike there so your driver must also have a motorcycle license. They will check this and give you a ticket.

My understanding of the daily DMV procedure is this: You go in the morning and wait in line to get an appointment for later in the day to come back to take the ride. If they are filled when you get the head of the line, you have to come back another day.

This may have changed since I had to get my license. Like you I had ridden many years without a license and decided to get mine. When I found out the DMV procedure, I decided the weekend classes were less hassle.

If I'm wrong about this, please post up.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #27
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #28
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
"Great couple of days! Learned more than I expected. Thanks!!"
Male, Age- 49, Experience- 20+ years

"One of the funniest classes I have ever taken"
Male, Age- 30, Experience- 22 years

"Excellent class. Will highly recommend basic course to even experienced riders. Will be back for advanced course in near future. Keep up the good work, absolutely awesome!!"
Male, Age- 35, Experience- 25 years

"This was by far the best driving instruction school I have ever attended."
Male, Age- 57, Experience- 45 years

"For the money, this was exceptional - I bet people pay a lot more and learn less. I am coming back for the Experienced class - Awesome dude!"
Male, Age- 44, Experience- 30 years

"I wish I would have taken this class in 1973 when I started riding. Bad habits are hard to break. My son who has never rode a bike and myself had an eye opening experience. Safety was stressed learning, thank all of you"
Male, Age- 53, Experience- 15 years

"I have been riding all my life, this course has opened my mind to so many different aspects of my surroundings."
Male, Age- 43, Experience- 30 years

"I got immensely more from this course than anticipated - I'll return for additional courses."
Female, Age- 65, Experience- 40 years

"I have been riding for some years, learning all of the wrong methods of riding safely, etc. This course has put me on track with all that is necessary for me to continue riding and enjoying this hobby for a long time to come. I feel I'll be back for the experienced course."
Male, Age- 73, Experience- 30 years

"Just "AWESOME"!!!"
Female, Age- 43, Experience- 30 years

Opinions vary.
Free advertising! Now how about a discount so I can prove myself wrong?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #29
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post

Have you taken the written portion yet? If you pass that, you get an M endorsement with a restriction on it that there must be a licensed rider nearby. Except for the restriction it is a valid license. I know this because when I had the restriction I got stopped but the officer missed the restriction so I wasn't cited for not having a license.

When you take the riding portion, both you on your bike plus a person in a car must go to the DMV . Since you don't have a license, you cannot ride the bike there so your driver must also have a motorcycle license. They will check this and give you a ticket.

My understanding of the daily DMV procedure is this: You go in the morning and wait in line to get an appointment for later in the day to come back to take the ride. If they are filled when you get the head of the line, you have to come back another day.

This may have changed since I had to get my license. Like you I had ridden many years without a license and decided to get mine. When I found out the DMV procedure, I decided the weekend classes were less hassle.

Now you guys know why I am still without a Class M. I actually took MSF when I was 18. Passed the test. Got my out of state class M, where the test was administered in a parking lot, then the writte, then on the street...nice system to be sure you are capable of riding before sending you out on a public street, IMO. When I moved back to Texas the DMV refused to accept my out of state Class M. I heard what it took to get a class M here and said ef that.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate the offers. It looks like I may be able to get this done tomorrow afternoon on GABRIEL's bike!

Peter
Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #30
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they had a provisional license. That's cool.

I do have a licensed rider to accompany.

Having the second licensed rider has been a sore subject discussed for years. I know of a handful of people who have been ticketed when they showed up on their own bike without a licensed rider to take the written and driving portions. DPS can be a stickler, but we can all appreciate the riders were, in fact, breaking the law and, by law, needed to be cited for the public's protection.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #31
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
Opinions vary.
I sent my 32 yr old intelligent, conservative, safety conscious, dirt bike riding cousin to MSF in Dallas because he promised me over beers he'd take it before getting his first streetbike.

I still can't live it down. He went one day and would not return for the second. He thought he would be better prepared to teach the class.

He does say that the class taught him the routine of checking his bike before each and every ride, top to bottom, so I think he got his money's worth. 12 months on his R1200S without incident.....

In contrast to his experience, Awesome must have a great curriculum and great instructors. I just don't have the schedule!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #32
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Quote:
How about Friday? You'd be my new hero!

Mr. P
This thread has taken a turn.

My bike is still in option for you. Friday would be fine, and the end of the weekend is kewl with me.

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #33
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they had a provisional license. That's cool.

I do have a licensed rider to accompany.

Having the second licensed rider has been a sore subject discussed for years. I know of a handful of people who have been ticketed when they showed up on their own bike without a licensed rider to take the written and driving portions. DPS can be a stickler, but we can all appreciate the riders were, in fact, breaking the law and, by law, needed to be cited for the public's protection.
man i pushed this thing all the way to the dps. i don't have a license to drive it yet, that's why i'm here. i'm tired.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #34
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Really cool of you Navajib.
Peters a really cool guy and you don't have to worry about a thing.

Soo Peter,
tard races once you get your license thingy done??

j/k, keke
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #35
Squared

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Quote:
When I moved back to Texas the DMV refused to accept my out of state Class M. I heard what it took to get a class M here and said ef that.

What the ef? I've never heard of having to get a class M in another state if you already have one...

My dad got his M in Massachusetts in the 70's. He moved to Louisiana, where the honored his M and put it on his new license.

He moved back to Mass, and then to Texas in 98', where they also put the M on his license.

He moved to Florida, where once again they put the M on his license.

He currently lives in Michigan, where he has an M on his license.

Why the wouldn't they honor an M license from another state?

With that said, I took an MSF course in Tampa where the bikes were provided to you. Little honda 250's and I had a kawi dual-sport. The guys who had been riding for 20+ years and had BAD habits were the worst in the class. Most of the newb guys learned all the correct habits from the start and did very well.
Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #36
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Thanks to all who offered to help! You truly are the class acts of MH!!!

The reason they would not take my Class M in 1994 is the ghetto counter girl forgot to key in my information and could give a less if I got my class M or not. I told her I needed it, she said, "oh well, too late, I've already keyed it in, and I don't wanna type this in again. If you want it you'll have to come do the test".

I complained to the supervisor, who was also worthless. I needed my Texas license to dismiss a ticket from when I first moved back, so I felt lucky to just accomplish that and left. I was 23 and not that bright at negotiating.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #37
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 03-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #38
Intermission
Pure Awesome

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:2007 Kawasaki zx-6r
SOLD:1999 YZ-125
SOLD:2004 Can-o-Tuna

Member Garage

I remember when I took my test they complained about me not turning my head enough. Did you take it at the place by Terry High School? I had the deaf guy that was a total tool.

I also had to wait in line behind a family of 15 Indians all sharing the same car for their test.
Intermission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #39
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Yup. Terry. Didn't get the deaf guy, but he was nice enough the day before. I got a woman who was not a bike expert. She did not want to let me ride because there was no tread on the chicken strips of John's almost new rear pilot power. I had to explain there was never tread there, as it's only used on the track. She said she was looking out for my safety, as a new rider. She also said the tires looked too worn cause they had strange patterns on the rubber (from GSS last weekend).

I really like that office, 3 people in line at 12:45 for the written. 7:30 arrive, 8:00 get processed, went home, came back at 10 for my appointment, left at 10:45.

Nothing like DPS in Houston. It is well worth the drive out for anyone on the SW side.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #40
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

, and I thought my bike was looking good with full farrings and tires with tread.
That head light was DOT cer. when i bought it. That is one of the reasons i bought it. And your right about the tires looking funny from the track.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement